View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 03:59 AM   #6
limoncello

I agree with Ronzi - there are multiple definitions of classic. One added category: cars that remind people of their youth. There's a generational buying point when people reach financial security. Production numbers don't necessarily correlate - each generation has a couple of cars that caught the imagination. Model A's for my dad, '55 or '57 Chevy's for the generation slightly ahead of me, etc.
The sixties were interesting because of an explosion in the number of performance cars. Triumphs and MG's were made in large numbers; people went back to them later, but the prices stayed low. XKE prices soared. Sunbeam Tigers, never a highly known or popular car in their day, but the prices stayed high later on (!?). Mach 1 Mustangs, Hemi-Cudas, etc. - collectible.
Late 70's and early 80's were mostly dogs because of smog gear. I have often wondered where that gen will go for their classics. Mustang II? Probably not.
The Boxster: hard to say. There are a lot out there, bad for prices but good for the fact that a lot of people have access to them and enjoy them. Looks: a real winner IMHO. Collectible? I don't think the prices will skyrocket. But I think they will never be dogs ("hundred dollar cars) either, they will always hold a certain market value.
Looking for an investment to put the kids thru college? Look elsewhere. Looking for a great car to drive and enjoy, get near 911 performance at half the cost, and be safe in the knowledge that you can sell it down the line without taking a bath (if properly kept)? Look no further.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote