View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
Ronzi

In spite of my dissing the Boxster's potential to be a classic, I think there are a few things that can be said about it's potential as a collectable car.
Take a look at the values of the 356 series of Porsches. They were produced from say 1950 to 1964. Which ones are the most valuable (collectable) today? I would say it is the earliest models. However the '64 model is probably the most driveable of the series. The cars got better as they went along, but that does not necessarily translate to collectability.
From that standpoint, the early Boxsters may be the most collectable ones 40 or 50 years from now. The earliest cars of any series are generally regarded as the purest expression of the original concept of the car. Later models almost invariably become loaded with more compromises to appeal to a wider segement of buyers.
Does that mean the '97-'99 first series cars will be more collectable than the second series and the S? Not necessarily, as there is also the "sweet spot" theory of car collectability.
For many years the Corvette Stingray of '63 - '67 were regarded as the most collectable of the whole series, particularly the 427/435hp versions of the '67 model. This was the sweet spot of 'vette production. The early 'vettes, particularly the '53 and '54 models were generally ignored by collectors. This is changing somewhat, but the early cars still lag behind the value of the Stingrays.
Maybe those 2000S Boxsters will be regarded as the sweet spot of the Boxster line.
The worst thing is, it's going to take a long time to find out.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote