Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #81

While I respect and I do admit I have not seen post-Katrina real time events as you sound you have lived, I got to admit a catastrophe of this magnitute does not happen so often, which promotes criminal activity as you said so.

I was actually referring to an average situation with a city with high crime in some areas and low crime in some other.

By no means did I mean that the world would be "oh-so beatiful and nice" if guns were not allowed. I just believe that a lot of people would be breathing today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
You are oh so deluted in your thinking. If guns where not allowed, then the criminals would just get from from the black market.

EXAMPLE : Drugs are "not allowed", are you telling me that people are not illegally using drugs? Boy...remind me to tell my DEA friends that they are out of a job because drugs are "not allowed".
The black market that every 15-19 year old gangsta that knows about and has access to? Drugs are easier to become available and easier to distribute. In your country it appears that guns are even easier thats why you suffer so many deaths every year.

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 03-28-2006 at 09:39 AM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:40 AM   #82

Hi,

First off, this is the first time in 50 years that someone has even alluded to my being a Liberal, which is a little frightening all in itself.

Second, I am not advocating a Ban on Guns or the repeal of the 2nd Ammendment.

Third, I keep a Long Gun (12 Ga.) at home, loaded for Self-Protection and would immediately resort to it's use if the need ever arose, which I hope never happens.

Fourth, I am an ex-serviceman who has used weapons against people in Anger, and they didn't get up - ever.

Believe me, a fully munitioned F4 can rain down a whole lot more death & destruction than a simple Handgun. And unlike many of you, I have been shot at as well, practically daily on 3 Floats totalling 10 mos. on Station Yankee and 5 months on Station Dixie, flying MigCap, ResCap, and IronHand (the NAVY's equivalent of Wild Weasel) - Air-to-Air, Air-to-Ground, and SAM Suppression.

I have no doubt that in the hands of a qualified, experienced, and confident individual, a Handgun can offer the desired protection. And I do not have any remorse in seeing a violent Street Punk or Addict's reign of terror ended without increasing the burden of the Taxpayer.

But, I equally have no doubt that many people brandishing Handguns are not properly prepared, either Mentally or Physically, to use them (despite having attended some training) when the need arises and that tragedy (for themselves and others) is most likely the result.

Like the MA devotees, many will stumble, fumble, and shake so badly that everyone on the Street except the intended target will be at risk. And don't think it won't happen to you, the Adrenanline rush alone will cause you to shake like a leaf. The first time I was shot at in Combat, my Flight Suit needed changing as soon as I trapped aboard - my initiation into a VERY Big Club!

We have people here who can't even change their Oil, Bleed their Brakes or change their MAF (no offense meant to anyone), and you want me to accept advocating them acquiring and carrying a Handgun in Public? Clearly, everyone should not do this, although admittedly they do retain that Right.

It's interesting that the Handguns displayed in this thread go waay beyond what is needed for basic self-defense. These Thoroughbred Heaters aren't any more effective than a simple H&R .32 Revolver. True, you can't squeeze 15 rounds into a Revolver, but if you're in a situation where you require that many rounds, you probably got yourself into something deeper than you had to (maybe because you were packing?). These seem to be Vanity pieces designed to boost Egos - to pass around for the admiration and agrandisement of their owner... That's OK, but are we still talking about basic self-defense here?

Like I said, I do not know the answer. But I have been into and out of some Street situations, both in this Country's Inner Cities and throughout the World, that many just see in the movies and I never once felt I needed a handgun to extricate myself. For now at least, I'm choosing to remain unarmed...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-28-2006 at 12:14 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #83

Anyone want a hug?

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #84

Wow....

Hot button topic of the week it seems!
Has anyone looked at the stats of some other countries and their gun death rates? Didn't you ever wonder why countries like Japan and the UK have such low rates of death by handguns? Its because of 2 things I think....1. Its against the law to own one...and 2. They VIGOROUSLY prosecute and search for people who do! For some reason we the US seem to think we NEED to have them more than any other industrialized nation in the world. Yet we the US have BY FAR the highest death rates by handguns in the world...Doesn't anybody see the correlation? If the police weren't such chicken ****************s and giving parking tickets and busting potheads, maybe they would have more time to go after people who had them if the law existed.....Maybe if the NRA didn't have their hands in the politicians pockets we could do something about this. But our country has been too busy telling other countries how to live, when we can't even clean up our own mess....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Anyone want a hug?

Old 03-28-2006, 11:10 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
Hot button topic of the week it seems!
Has anyone looked at the stats of some other countries and their gun death rates? Didn't you ever wonder why countries like Japan and the UK have such low rates of death by handguns? Its because of 2 things I think....1. Its against the law to own one...and 2. They VIGOROUSLY prosecute and search for people who do! For some reason we the US seem to think we NEED to have them more than any other industrialized nation in the world. Yet we the US have BY FAR the highest death rates by handguns in the world...Doesn't anybody see the correlation? If the police weren't such chicken ****************s and giving parking tickets and busting potheads, maybe they would have more time to go after people who had them if the law existed.....Maybe if the NRA didn't have their hands in the politicians pockets we could do something about this. But our country has been too busy telling other countries how to live, when we can't even clean up our own mess....
What you said is exactly what I am trying to say with my poor english.

I also want a hug!
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #87

Talking

This HAS been fun.

Anyone object if I close the thread now that we are ready for a group hug?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #88

Hugs amundo

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:09 PM   #89

Hi,

Naw... let's beat it to Death a little more... maybe someone can shoot it... j.k. lol !

It's been fun and some valid views have been expressed by both Sides. Hopefully everyone will take something positive away with them...

Old 03-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
This HAS been fun.

Anyone object if I close the thread now that we are ready for a group hug?
I think it says quite a bit that, while we have people on here with such different views on a volatile subject like this, it can be discussed in such a civil manner.

There was no harm, no foul, and we're all maybe a little better for it.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
... it can be discussed in such a civil manner...
That's because those in opposition are scared ********************less of those packing Heat...

Old 03-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
That's because those in opposition are scared ********************less of those packing Heat...

It is nice to see everyone holding hands again. My boss will be happy that I will finally be able to get some work done this week.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #93

Smile

You guys are the best!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #94

San Dimas Varsity Football Rules!!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:17 AM   #95

Group Hug?? Nah!
Who wants to go to Mcie Ds raise your hand?

tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote