Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #1

Garage
Pelican Parts Order

Guess I'm just used to ordering from Amazon Prime and receiving my merchandise in 1-2 days after order..

On-line Order Tracking #1388520713-052
Request Submitted on: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:11:53

### Package Number: 1 of 1
### Shipping Method: Ground Delivery
### Expected Ship Date: Monday Jan 13
### Expected Arrival Date: Wednesday, Jan 15

Still waiting for this order (my first) to arrive.. Really? :/

How do you stay in business when it takes over 20 days for someone to receive YOUR book on how to fix cars by ordering YOUR parts plus a license plate frame? what am I missing, seems like everyone uses this place all the time?

Standing by...

Old 01-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

My clutch and parts shipped fast as hell.

Sorry to hear this.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #3

I'm with you on that.
I find it very slow for shipping. I do am on the other coast and in Canada but still, nothing will arrive under 3 weeks! Ground shipping from China is faster. Worst, shipping is most of the time free in US, but for us canadian, it cost a lots!
I dont order anymore from pelican unless I have no other choice. Too bad cause I liked that store.

wawa
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Pelican is swell

Last edited by particlewave; 01-30-2014 at 10:39 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:35 AM   #5

I ordered tune up stuff from them yesterday. The call went well. It was my first time ordering from them and I wanted to have a human help with navigating the part options.
I have a tracking number from FEDEX. I expect for my items to arrive on schedule.
I asked them about the ashtray delete option and they were up front and said that it would be an item they would have to order from Porsche.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:08 AM   #6

Garage
I live in the Northeast and I have found everything shipping from California takes a solid week to get to me. I find if frustrating at times but not unique to Pelican. Also, there have been times where I have ordered parts that were not available immediately at which time they notified me and asked me how I want to proceed. When I purchased the brake booster seal kit for my 99 Boxster I spoke directly with Robert their Boxster expert and he was helpful giving me what advice he could to get that seal kit installed. Bottom line is I have had good experience with them so far.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:14 AM   #7

I have had a few orders them. Some stuff they stock and some stuff has to be special ordered from Germany I think, which takes a long time and can hold up the whole order. One way to tell is if the shipping goes up a bunch for adding a $.05 part, then you know that part is coming from somewhere else. I got my 101 Projects book from them, and it has saved me a lot of $$$ doing things myself, so I try to order from there when I can. ECSTuning.com is good and has a lot of stuff, Suncoast Parts, and believe it or not Amazon carries a lot of parts. Some of them you can browse by vehicle type, but also if you enter in part numbers into search you can find some that way. I got a new MAF and new O2 sensor there, front hood shocks, lug bolts, at prices that were very competitive, and most of it shipped as Amazon Prime. Maybe your order had some special order part?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #8

I used to order everything from Pelican. Now I only use them for high volume disposables - filters, brake pads, rotors, etc. I will never again order anything that they have to source from Porsche, or anything at all that I need quickly, as it is faster and cheaper for me to get it from our local dealership.

I buy local, I get it in a week and my PCA membership gets me a 10% discount. I order from Pelican, it takes at least three weeks, no PCA discount, and a stiff shipping charge. Works out better from the dealership just about every time.

I would like to do more business with Pelican, but they need to take a serious look at their business model before that is going to happen. As an example, if they can offer free shipping in the US, why do we in Canada have to pay the full shot? Would it not be fair to just pay the difference between the US and Canada shipping rates? Is there some reason why I can get something from China in a week, but it takes Pelican longer than that just to fill the order, never mind the shipping time?

As far as the book goes, I find Pedro's DIY guides much more helpful. If Pedro put out a book I would buy it in an instant.

This has been my experience, YMMV. I'm not trying to be rude or insult anyone, just telling like it has been. I think it is better to let a business know when you feel their service is less than satisfactory. If you just go away and deal somewhere else without saying anything, then you have not given them the opportunity to address the issues. I think they at least deserve that much.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Nothing but great experiences with Pelican, even when I had a problem with an order they fixed it right away. I'd suggest calling them and give them the opportunity to "make it right". Everyone screws up an order once in awhile, the good businesses know how to fix them quickly. And no, I have no relationship with them.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I've ordered several thousand worth of parts from Pelican over the years and have never had an issue getting parts in a timely fashion. I can see a delay if the parts were not in stock. Everything I've purchased has been in stock so I've never experienced that issue.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #11

Garage
+1, I've had nothing but good luck with them. I haven't ordered any big-ticket items. Just maint. stuff and Wayne's book, but they always arrived in a pretty timely manner. I've had great luck with Suncoast also.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #12

Over the years I've placed numerous orders with Pelican, never had an issue. Ship time to the other side of the country took a little longer but that's been the case if I purchase anything from the West coast.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #13

I've had nothing but good experiences ordering parts from Pelican (and believe me, I've ordered a LOT of parts from them!) Their prices are competitive and I really like their online ordering system. For OEM parts with multiple vendors, I REALLY like that they give me the choice of which vendor part I want.

From what I've seen with my orders, they can ship from 3 different warehouse locations in California depending on which one has it in stock or has a Porsche dealer close by that has it in stock.

If the parts need to be brought over from Germany that can add a week or two to the 2-3 days domestic ship times.

Scottvd - I don't think I've ever had an order take 20 days! You should definitely call them and ask what's up with that.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #14

I think in the interest of fairness did you inquire if there was an inventory delay?
UPS and FedEx were overwhelmed the week before you placed that order perhaps you are feeling some downstream consequences.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #15

I order pretty much weekly from them. Just ordered exhaust gaskets last night in fact. Nothing but good for me with them. Even called with tech questions that they had no problems answering.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #16

I'm from Canada also and I'm often buying from Pelican. To by-pass the custom taxes & enormous shipping fees (that Pelican is not responsible for), all my orders from Pelican are shipped to a UPS Store in Maine. When going for a kids break, Boxster weekend to the beach with my wife, I'm stopping by that store to pickup my orders... Huge saving and lot's of fun!
Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #17

Seems like to me I that there is a little longer wait for ordering 101 Projects. I think I went out and bought the Bentley at first because of this. Placed the order for the book along with parts and IIRC, parts came before the book. I don't think you will have any problems when ordering parts here in the future. But the book seems like its stored in China. Still worth getting. And still a great parts store. And site sponsor.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #18

I've been ordering from Pelican for a long time now have spent a lot of $$$ and knock on wood never had a problem. Their online order system is user friendly and email updates of the status rock solid. I use them exclusively and they have some great forums.
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #19
Beginner

Garage
Pelican Parts gets my money because they host this forum. There's marketing for you. Typically more expensive (though on occasion less), with customer service that one must usually visit the post office to find. Parts kits that, while advertised for your year model, don't have the parts for your year model (I'm talking to you 03 and 04 owners - When you order engine parts make sure you don't need those for 987's). The whole thing is either frustrating as h311, or if you choose, endearing. The 101 Boxster projects book is excellent, and I get the vibe P^2 is doing the best they can with a business growing faster than anticipated. Remember not too long ago it was BMW and Porsche only. BTW Gaudin Porsche is usually the least expensive though they do make it up on shipping if you're not careful.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
I have a been buying parts from Pelican for several years even before they acquired this board and never had any issues with them. They have been helpful whenever I have called them. Just like any business sometimes some parts are on back order or located in another location and that part might be delayed a day or two. I got email updates the few times that occurred so no big deal.

While a lot of people want Amazon service, I have made it a point to do as little business with Amazon as possible. Many of their employees are paid in a similar fashion to Walmart employees and therefore have to rely on help from the government. Sorry but I avoid doing business with companies like Amazon that use government assistance to subsidize their payroll to prop up their profits. Therefore, if doing business away from Amazon takes a little longer then I am willing to accept that. .

ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote