Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #1

New ignition switch does not line up

Related to my random window down issue (other thread) I decided to take the advice and replace the ignition switch. I had a spare and the first order of business was to again verify I had the correct version. I have a '97 and the part is the correct older 4A0 905 849B.

I followed the direction on Pedros, e.g. contort and not disassemble….

I got the old one off in around 10 minutes, from the thread lock used I expect that was the original.

While in that fun position I lined up the new one the same position (only goes two ways) and it does not slide on over the mechanical portion. If I rotate 180, it still does not go on. After assessing, it is 90 degrees off. This is an uncomfortable position and I make the snap decision to rotation the mechanical key side portion 90 degree to align with the new switch. With hindsight the other option would have been to rotation the switch 90 degree and leave the mechanical key side portion where it was. Not sure the switch portion would have even turned that way (more on that later). I tighten the screws (mistake) and while I plug the harness back in the radio goes on…obviously this is the on position for the switch with the key out and in the off position.

I take the new one back out and compare the new to the old. When both switches are in the same physical position (e.g. electrical posts aligned) AND the movable portion of the switch (the part the moves with the key) in the same position the new one moves only in one direction (forget if the was clock or counter clock wise) and the other switch only moves in the opposite direction.

At this point it's getting late and I needs this car for work tomorrow morning so I decide to clean (electrical contact cleaner) and re-install the old one. I really did not want to mess with additional combinations between switch and key side position. I had already inserted the key with the harness disassembled and thought I may have really messed up.

Looking back both switches are not exactly the same and either it's the wrong part or I would need to correctly identify the "off" position of the new switch and then move the mechanical portion of the lock to align with the switch. If that is the case I suspect that the switch was in the on position and I mistakenly moved the mechanical lock portion to that position.

I was not really prepared for the switch not the just slide on after completing the "hard part" of getting the old one off.

What do you think, wrong part or I picked the wrong option to line them up and should give it another shot tomorrow?

The part is made/packaged by uro parts and I bought it on amazon. It all black…thanks!

runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #2

I had that happen on my 2000S the first time I changed it. I went back to NAPA and bought the version for the newer car (2002 or 03) and it fit perfect.

IIRC, the one I thought would fit was a all black and the one that fit was mostly white with one side black. I'm sorry I don't recall the part numbers.

I figure that a PO might have had the whole assembly replaced at some point.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #3

Ahhhh, the one that was on it was mostly while also. if that is the case the PO may have done the same and had the whole assembly change too…
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #4

Just to finish the story and simply for future readers...assuming the pictures I am seeing are representative and my experience is accurate a few conclusions:

1. The older ignition part is mostly black
2. The newer version is mostly white
3. The two parts are not interchangeable
4. If you are not the original owner, it is possible that the entire ignition (mechanical and electrical portions) on an older version car was replaced with the newer version. I expect that a dealership would replace the entire ignition, as opposed to just the electrical portion.
5. Before you take the old one off take a look at the color and make sure it matches your new part

Not sure I can add this as a conclusion, but in my case I decided to clean the old one and replace it until I get the correct part. I liberally sprayed electrical contact clean inside and out and ensure it was dry before installing. My symptom did go away. I am making no claim that this is a good idea or will last...but so far it is getting me by until the correct switch arrives.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #5

Just to add to this thread.

My key was getting increasingly stiff and difficult to get out, sticking in the start engine position and not 'pinging' properly when withdrawn, all in all a very mechanical feeling issue. But everything online says to replace the electrical bit and stated the standard part number. So I googled and bought one off ebay for about £8.

Part arrived , with a white body, and I replaced it pretty easily, thankfully one of my hex screwdriver ends was short and small enough to get into the restricted access.

But... when I plugged the electrical connector back on, the radio immediately came on, which seemed strange. but everything mechanically worked the key turned perfectly, the car started etc.. Then I notice that I couldn't lock the car, the radio wouldn't power down and the lights on the dash stayed on even with the key taken out. Something was wrong electrically.

So I re-fitted the original part and checked ebay and ordered up the same part number, but made sure to buy from a seller saying it was for Porsche Boxster, it cost £25, and had a black casing. I fitted it earlier and it's worked perfectly,

So beware... not all part numbers are equal!

ETA, mine's a 2001 Boxster S.

piersman is offline   Reply With Quote