View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
runjmc2

New ignition switch does not line up

Related to my random window down issue (other thread) I decided to take the advice and replace the ignition switch. I had a spare and the first order of business was to again verify I had the correct version. I have a '97 and the part is the correct older 4A0 905 849B.

I followed the direction on Pedros, e.g. contort and not disassemble….

I got the old one off in around 10 minutes, from the thread lock used I expect that was the original.

While in that fun position I lined up the new one the same position (only goes two ways) and it does not slide on over the mechanical portion. If I rotate 180, it still does not go on. After assessing, it is 90 degrees off. This is an uncomfortable position and I make the snap decision to rotation the mechanical key side portion 90 degree to align with the new switch. With hindsight the other option would have been to rotation the switch 90 degree and leave the mechanical key side portion where it was. Not sure the switch portion would have even turned that way (more on that later). I tighten the screws (mistake) and while I plug the harness back in the radio goes on…obviously this is the on position for the switch with the key out and in the off position.

I take the new one back out and compare the new to the old. When both switches are in the same physical position (e.g. electrical posts aligned) AND the movable portion of the switch (the part the moves with the key) in the same position the new one moves only in one direction (forget if the was clock or counter clock wise) and the other switch only moves in the opposite direction.

At this point it's getting late and I needs this car for work tomorrow morning so I decide to clean (electrical contact cleaner) and re-install the old one. I really did not want to mess with additional combinations between switch and key side position. I had already inserted the key with the harness disassembled and thought I may have really messed up.

Looking back both switches are not exactly the same and either it's the wrong part or I would need to correctly identify the "off" position of the new switch and then move the mechanical portion of the lock to align with the switch. If that is the case I suspect that the switch was in the on position and I mistakenly moved the mechanical lock portion to that position.

I was not really prepared for the switch not the just slide on after completing the "hard part" of getting the old one off.

What do you think, wrong part or I picked the wrong option to line them up and should give it another shot tomorrow?

The part is made/packaged by uro parts and I bought it on amazon. It all black…thanks!
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote