Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

Weighing a purchase

Hello All:

Is there any member who has the experience and knowledge to comment on the relative ergonomics, cockpit feel, room, etc. between a Boxter (2000 Base) and a Z-3?

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #2

Garage
Boy! I was just checking the forum and saw this. I had a '98 Z3 (pretty new at the time). It was very bullet-proof. Boston Green in colour. Get the straight 6 if you do. Then I bought a CPO '03 Z4 (black). Once again, bullet proof reliable. (look at my signature name). Then a few years later I drove my Uncle's '00 base boxster. Loved it. I ended up getting a '00S about 5.5 years ago and never looked back. The Z3's did hold their value better than I expected. They're based off of the E36, i.e. the dash and interior pieces etc. Whereas the Z4 is an E85 (it's own model) So having owned all three. I've got to say I'm a little biased towards the Boxster. Yes, they can be expensive to maintain. Do your homework. BMW's can be expensive also! The straight 6 that bmw puts in the z3 and z4 is one of the smoothest in the world, but nothing compares to the sound of that flat 6 at about 6000 rpms! I know I didn't answer your question as far as ergonomics, etc. Drive all three and then decide! That's what I did. It just took 9 years. Good luck!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #3

I can't comment on a z3 but I can on a z4 as I test drove 2 before buying a Boxster. The '03 and '06 are very nicely finished inside- maybe even nicer than a Boxster but they are definitely smaller. The '06 had neat LED tail lights, more power ( about the same as an Boxster S) and a really sweet exhaust note. They had that gorgeous, long hood and are stylish but had no spare tire and a small rear trunk (only). The Boxster handles WAY better and is truly a world class sports car, even today, in the areas of braking and handling.
The z3 never had a big following which makes them easier to get into but harder to get out of. I say drive 'em and report back!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #4

Garage
I agree. I was impressed with the fit and finish on my Z4 over the Boxster. The Boxster's ride and handling more than make up for it though. Like they used to say in the commercials. "There is no substitute"...
Old 09-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #5

I own both a Z3 and a 986 as well as a sport package e46. The two cars are very different! I agree, the inline 6 motor is smooth as silk and extremely durable. Waaaay less fragile than a boxster. My Z3 has a lot of M parts on it as well as a terrific aftermarket exhaust. It handles like a go cart and in Atlanta Blue with M wheels gets a ton of attention. The fit and finish and extras are better than the Porsche.

The sound of the Porsche exhaust is nice and the whine of the engine is better than the Z3. The 986 handles better and there are far fewer in my area! I love both and feel very blessed to drive both cars, which have a lot of fun factor to offer! The BMW is much, much cheaper to own though for sure!

If money is an issue go for the BMW, if standing out in a crowd is more important, go for the Boxster!
Goodbiketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #6

My past....99 Z3 2.3 (new), 99 M roadster purchased in Nov 2001 with 16K miles, 2003 purchased in late 2003 with 5k miles. Currently own a 2000S, a 98 Base (and an 84 Alfa!)

The BMW's were great cars and a blast. The 2.3 was quick enough, quiet when cruising and rattle free for the time I owned it. I replaced it when my lease was coming up and lease deals on new Z3's were not as great as back in '99.
The M roadster was just plain badazz. Great exhaust note, as quick as the Boxster and just a really cool car. I happened to have it cleaned up one day in the fall of 2003 and put it out by the road with a sign and a crazy asking price...dang if it didn't sell by the end of the day!
After a couple of months, I got a used Z4, 5 months old with 5k miles. The car was a 3 liter 6speed with sport package. I figured that given its similar HP to the M Roadster, performance would be similar. As it turned out, it felt a little more...refined and civilized. Great but just not as much fun (to me).

First time I drove a Boxster S I just knew I'd own one someday. The car was just a blast to drive. Pure sports car, period. I still feel that way. I still look at used BMW's, mostly M roadsters ('98-'02) but don't know if I'd pull the trigger or not.

The base Boxster is great, its just that after driving the S....well that was all she wrote!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #7

One other thing,
None of them are as cool as my Alfa Spider!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Hello All:

Is there any member who has the experience and knowledge to comment on the relative ergonomics, cockpit feel, room, etc. between a Boxter (2000 Base) and a Z-3?

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
I used to test drive new cars for a living when these cars were new. I have always hated straight 6 engines & the BMW's are so smooth they remind me of a sewing machine. I have always hated BMW interiors also, tiny buttons, peeling vinyl, too stark for luxury, & too complicated for sport. Z3 & Z4 very similar from drivers seat, I'm 5'10" & the dashboard seems to be right in my face. Men driving a Z3 always look like a circus bear in a toy car. 1st thing I did when I quit that job was by my own Boxster S !
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
One other thing,
None of them are as cool as my Alfa Spider!
And the Alfa is hand-made!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #10

Thank you all for the interesting observations. Perhaps I should have been a bit less obtuse. I presently own a Z-3 and have lusting after a Boxter for some time. This summer has been one of educating myself about the machines and now I am getting ready (I think) about pulling the trigger on a Boxter purchase. This thread / question really is a last minute thought I had and had hoped to get some learned input from various members. Thanks to all!

Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #11

Garage
My brother has the Z4 I'm 6' I don't fit it very well. on the other hand I move the seat up a little and still have knee room in the Boxster.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #12

I have a 1998 base. It wil be up for sale in a couple of weeks. I'm buying my nephews Z3. I've ridden them before (only the 6 cyl 2.8 L model) and can say the Z3 is a nice alternative. It is a more refined ride, but the Boxster is so much more fun I can't even begin to describe it.

The Z3 ergonomics are not as well concieved as a Boxster, but a lot of that also has to do with the fact that a Boxster has fewer widgets to worry about. A couple of things you will never find on a Boxster include ... a seat that wiggles, stick shift that does not center, stickshift that hits your USB cell hone charger, cup holders that work (unless you buy a Bird armrest or similar), and last but not least ... an engine in the front.

The only reason I am selling my base model is to buy a house. After that, I want to buy an S, later model Boxster base, or a Caymen. Jury is still out on which model to buy.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
I have a 1998 base. It wil be up for sale in a couple of weeks. I'm buying my nephews Z3. I've ridden them before (only the 6 cyl 2.8 L model) and can say the Z3 is a nice alternative. It is a more refined ride, but the Boxster is so much more fun I can't even begin to describe it.

The Z3 ergonomics are not as well concieved as a Boxster, but a lot of that also has to do with the fact that a Boxster has fewer widgets to worry about. A couple of things you will never find on a Boxster include ... a seat that wiggles, stick shift that does not center, stickshift that hits your USB cell hone charger, cup holders that work (unless you buy a Bird armrest or similar), and last but not least ... an engine in the front.

The only reason I am selling my base model is to buy a house. After that, I want to buy an S, later model Boxster base, or a Caymen. Jury is still out on which model to buy.
I'd trade the IMS time bomb for a wiggling seat, straight up!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #14

IMSB time bomb? I have heard a lot about it. Worried about it a bit when I bought my Boxster as an impulse buy, then said the *ell with it. I drove motorcycles that cost more with a 5-10% failure rate of the final drive. All BMW shaft drive models. I risked life and limb on those. What's a blown motor compared to that? When I found out the early models have a 1% failure rate the issue stopped being a concern at all.

If it happens, it happens. I'll deal with it then. When I buy a new Porsche I may get proactive and put on a LNE bearing. But worry about it? Not a chance.

Driving my Boxster is as close as I've been to a high end motorcycle. I will happily buy another and wind it up til it screams. Just as it is meant to be driven. And I'll have a *hit eating grin on my face while I'm enjoying the ride!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
IMSB time bomb? I have heard a lot about it. Worried about it a bit when I bought my Boxster as an impulse buy, then said the *ell with it. I drove motorcycles that cost more with a 5-10% failure rate of the final drive. All BMW shaft drive models. I risked life and limb on those. What's a blown motor compared to that? When I found out the early models have a 1% failure rate the issue stopped being a concern at all.

If it happens, it happens. I'll deal with it then. When I buy a new Porsche I may get proactive and put on a LNE bearing. But worry about it? Not a chance.

Driving my Boxster is as close as I've been to a high end motorcycle. I will happily buy another and wind it up til it screams. Just as it is meant to be driven. And I'll have a *hit eating grin on my face while I'm enjoying the ride!
Took the words right out of my mouth! I was a bit worried at first too.
I love the car I bought and have not regretted for one second (yet)!
When I go out for joyrides IMS/etc is the last thing on my mind..

IMSB time bomb?! He's just scared.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #16

Garage
AKnowles, not to hijack this thread but I have a rare r850r bmw bike. I've worried about the final drive failures. I've also heard that the 850r is less prone to the failure due to it's less power/torque etc. Is that true?? My bike came from England. I think they sold them here for a year or so but they were a marketing flop in the states.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #17

I'm not scared and I'm not 'dissin' the Boxster! My 2000S has 113K miles and is driven (almost) daily. The 98 base car has 120K miles. I'm not rushing to replace the IMS on either car.

It is ufortunate that the issue does exist and enters into the financial equation or purchase descison. I can afford a used engine if mine blows. I cannot imagine looking at a $12-16K bill for an engine from a dealer!

I enjoyed my BMW's and have nothing bad to say about the cars. I'm still just enjoying the Boxster too much!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4 View Post
AKnowles, not to hijack this thread but I have a rare r850r bmw bike. I've worried about the final drive failures. I've also heard that the 850r is less prone to the failure due to it's less power/torque etc. Is that true?? My bike came from England. I think they sold them here for a year or so but they were a marketing flop in the states.
I honestly don't know about that model. Everything I know relates to the 1100-1200 cc models. But the issue was considered more of an alignment problem than anything else. Seems that the bearing that is pressed in has to handle a significant side load and if not pressed in exactly perpendicular will wear unevenly and fail sooner. Best method to keep aware of the situation is frequent gear oil changes and examination of the oil for metal fragments.

Sounds like a P-Car oil change (IMSB failure) doesn't it?

Once thing I can tell you is that a failure will almost always include some noise/grinding and a quick test is to raise the rear wheel and hold it at the 11 & 5 o'clock position and push/pull and see if there is any wobble or looseness. There should be none.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #19

Garage
I do have fresh gear oil in it now. It's only got 15k mi. It's the same bike as the R1100 with a smaller motor. Everything else is identical. So same rear end. Once again sorry to hijack this thread....
Old 09-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
haz

I am 6ī2 and the steering wheel feels a little too big over my knees.. Just had the IMS upgraded myself before the grenade was dropped.. Even though a love BMWs and have owned one, I donīt think the Z3 can compare to the Boxster.. good luck

haz is offline   Reply With Quote