View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
AKnowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4 View Post
AKnowles, not to hijack this thread but I have a rare r850r bmw bike. I've worried about the final drive failures. I've also heard that the 850r is less prone to the failure due to it's less power/torque etc. Is that true?? My bike came from England. I think they sold them here for a year or so but they were a marketing flop in the states.
I honestly don't know about that model. Everything I know relates to the 1100-1200 cc models. But the issue was considered more of an alignment problem than anything else. Seems that the bearing that is pressed in has to handle a significant side load and if not pressed in exactly perpendicular will wear unevenly and fail sooner. Best method to keep aware of the situation is frequent gear oil changes and examination of the oil for metal fragments.

Sounds like a P-Car oil change (IMSB failure) doesn't it?

Once thing I can tell you is that a failure will almost always include some noise/grinding and a quick test is to raise the rear wheel and hold it at the 11 & 5 o'clock position and push/pull and see if there is any wobble or looseness. There should be none.