Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #1

Duralast Aftermarket Brake Pad Fit - Touching Rotor Edge/Lip

Hi Everyone,

I am slowly chipping away at DIY tasks on the 2001 Boxster base that I picked up a few weeks ago. Brake pads were supposed to be this weekend's project. The previous owner gave me a set of front and rear Duralast Gold brake pads, purchased at Autozone.

When compared to the OEM pads currently installed the surface area of the pad material is larger/higher. This is causing the pad material to touch the lip/edge of the rotor. I haven't seen this happen on my other cars and assume this is not good to use as it is.

I wanted to check in with this forum before I go out and purchase Mintex or Textar pads to replace these new Duralast ones.

(picture included - one pad shows that it is _higher_ than the rotor, but I just need to adjust this down to fit better, though I'm still not comfortable with the pad touching the rotor edge)

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

owl1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #2

Happens all the time.. run it!! Typically the pad is too SMALL and we end up with a lip on the outer edge of the rotor. This will not happen with these pads!!

Secret: I run rear pads on the front of the 2.5 and 2.7 cars ALL the time.

The difference is only 4-5mm of pad material. Gives me a little more rear brake bias
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #3

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Brad.

Won't the rub on the rotor lip cause either uneven wear (angled) or squeal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Happens all the time.. run it!! Typically the pad is too SMALL and we end up with a lip on the outer edge of the rotor. This will not happen with these pads!!

The difference is only 4-5mm of pad material. Gives me a little more rear brake bias
Old 07-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

Run them and find out! I believe those Duralast pads have a lifetime warranty.

If you are seriously concerned? Take a file and knock down the edge that is overhanging. Wood rasp will do it. Try not to breath the dust
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #5

They'll be fine. I've run pads on my Formula Ford like that, and any ridge of pad material flakes off easily, without interference .
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post

Have you ever put front base brakes on the rear of a base? I test fit a set they fit the caliper but extend about 1/64" over the inside lip. I then cut off the pin hole ear. I have a couple sets of EBC yellow non S front pads I believe I could still use.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #7

Duralast pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1979 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am slowly chipping away at DIY tasks on the 2001 Boxster base that I picked up a few weeks ago. Brake pads were supposed to be this weekend's project. The previous owner gave me a set of front and rear Duralast Gold brake pads, purchased at Autozone.

When compared to the OEM pads currently installed the surface area of the pad material is larger/higher. This is causing the pad material to touch the lip/edge of the rotor. I haven't seen this happen on my other cars and assume this is not good to use as it is.

I wanted to check in with this forum before I go out and purchase Mintex or Textar pads to replace these new Duralast ones.

(picture included - one pad shows that it is _higher_ than the rotor, but I just need to adjust this down to fit better, though I'm still not comfortable with the pad touching the rotor edge)

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
The pads will brake just fine but when they start to wear you will probably start to get some squeal. Is the pad that is overhanging fully seated in to the caliper?

There is a "edge code" on the pads can you tell me what it is? It will be on the side of the friction or plate or on the back. I can investigate a little further.

Last edited by Porsche_Padowan; 07-29-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Porsche_Padowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #8

Hi - there is no edge code. I am including a picture of the back, which has the only set of information on the entire pad.

The pad is fully seated into the caliper. I tried wiggling and tried different angles. The pistons are retracted enough that there is no tension (yet) from the pistons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche_Padowan View Post
The pads will brake just fine but when they start to wear you will probably start to get some squeal. Is the pad that is overhanging fully seated in to the caliper?

There is a "edge code" on the pads can you tell me what it is? It will be on the side of the friction or plate or on the back. I can investigate a little further.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #9

Duralast Gold pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1979 View Post
Hi - there is no edge code. I am including a picture of the back, which has the only set of information on the entire pad.

The pad is fully seated into the caliper. I tried wiggling and tried different angles. The pistons are retracted enough that there is no tension (yet) from the pistons.

OK, they are made by Roulunds, so not ours. FYI the "Edge Code" are the letters and numbers on the shim. So in that case, you should return the pads to give them warranty. But seriously, If the pads are free you can go ahead and use them or you can return them to an AZ store.
Porsche_Padowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #10

Thank you for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche_Padowan View Post
OK, they are made by Roulunds, so not ours. FYI the "Edge Code" are the letters and numbers on the shim. So in that case, you should return the pads to give them warranty. But seriously, If the pads are free you can go ahead and use them or you can return them to an AZ store.