Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #5981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
These cars make a rumbling sound right at 3,000 rpm, due to a resonance in the engine. Mine does it, but I only hear it while in the lower gears where the road noise is lower.
After driving it a little more yesterday, the rumble may still be there, especially when I downshift to lower gears, it is noticeably less rumbling than before though.

Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #5982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Do you mean the exhaust resonance at around 3.000 rpm or are there real vibrations somwhere in the cabin or stearing or somewhere else noticable?

What engine mounts did you use? The original Porsche front mounts have a new design. This mount might cause the problem with vibrations in my car. But my vibrations are in every rpm range.
The rumble is evident especially when I lift the gas above 3000rpm for lowering the car speed - the at 3000rpm it shows up. Only very seldom it is so strong that I could call it a shaking, but it is not on the steering only. It's rather on the car body, so I'd expect it to came from engine since the speed of the car has nothing to do with it - happens with every gear at same rpm.

Ordered the engina mount from design911uk and it says on the receipt that "This product supersedes Porsche's old part numbers: 98737502304"

Transmission mounts are branded 'Rein' that has been commented to be a good choice on few of the Porsche forums I read.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #5983
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Couple of thoughts; do you have a tire delaminating? tire out of balance? loose half shaft/bad bearing? when was your last four wheel alignment?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #5984

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Couple of thoughts; do you have a tire delaminating? tire out of balance? loose half shaft/bad bearing? when was your last four wheel alignment?
I doubt that this could be tire or driveshaft or bearing issue, since it shows up only at 3000rpm with all gears (different speeds, but not all the time on any speed).
Alignment was done last summer (no driving on the winther) and in my opinion the issue with bad alignment would show in all speeds or just one certain speed (for example 75 mph).
Mystery continues...
Old 09-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #5985

Saw this at Autozone yesterday, they wanted $28 or so. I am probably going to buy it since my first and only oil change was a splash fest of epic proportions.

Its made by Garageboss and called "The Reacher."

Anyone have it?

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-drain-pan/garage-boss-height-adjustable-drain-pan/721214_0_0?spps.s=3491&cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:PER:7170000006066809 5&gclid=CjwKCAjwh7H7BRBBEiwAPXjadlHkI-_rLCOZ6x3l7EOjISevko0tfXIArzSccjyYItayVwTAhYTrVhoC mKsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #5986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
These cars make a rumbling sound right at 3,000 rpm, due to a resonance in the engine. Mine does it, but I only hear it while in the lower gears where the road noise is lower.
I want a rumble at anything above 3000rpm! If I don't get that growl or famous boxer motor rumble something is wrong.

The motor and exhaust noise is what makes these cars notoriously fun, stop worrying and just drive it!
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #5987

Today I installed a SmartTop relay that I got a really great deal on a few months ago. It works like a charm!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #5988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
Saw this at Autozone yesterday, they wanted $28 or so. I am probably going to buy it since my first and only oil change was a splash fest of epic proportions.

Its made by Garageboss and called "The Reacher."

Anyone have it?

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-drain-pan/garage-boss-height-adjustable-drain-pan/721214_0_0?spps.s=3491&cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:PER:7170000006066809 5&gclid=CjwKCAjwh7H7BRBBEiwAPXjadlHkI-_rLCOZ6x3l7EOjISevko0tfXIArzSccjyYItayVwTAhYTrVhoC mKsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The stuff really gushes out don't it??

I don't suppose you've bought/tried this product yet? I would be a little concerned that the depth of the funnel wouldn't suffice to catch/corral that initial blast of oil when the plug first comes out.

I just took an empty plastic gallon milk jug and cut out the bottom. Flip it over and insert the jug opening (no cap!) into the hole in the middle of the oil collection unit. You have to learn how to aim a little when you go to pull the oil plug, but after the first time or two I hardly lose a drop anymore. I also drilled multiple 1/2" holes in the collection surface of the drain pan—to collect the oil that splashes out of the plastic jug (there's usually at least a little). And it's free!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #5989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
The stuff really gushes out don't it??

I don't suppose you've bought/tried this product yet? I would be a little concerned that the depth of the funnel wouldn't suffice to catch/corral that initial blast of oil when the plug first comes out.

I just took an empty plastic gallon milk jug and cut out the bottom. Flip it over and insert the jug opening (no cap!) into the hole in the middle of the oil collection unit. You have to learn how to aim a little when you go to pull the oil plug, but after the first time or two I hardly lose a drop anymore. I also drilled multiple 1/2" holes in the collection surface of the drain pan—to collect the oil that splashes out of the plastic jug (there's usually at least a little). And it's free!
Not yet purchased.

I also have a West Marine oil extractor (6.9 qt) and thought about sucking out a majority of the oil the next go around before I pull the plug.

I do like the milk jug trick and its priced right.

I am only about 1100 miles on this oil, so I have no idea when I will hit 3k and do another change. Maybe in the mean time another member can be our guinea pig and try this thing out???
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #5990

Why don't you guys just put the oil catch can on a cinder block?

I mean I know lots of you guys on here are engineers, but sometimes you don't need a special tool to raise your oil catch can up 6 inchs.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:24 PM   #5991

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Why don't you guys just put the oil catch can on a cinder block?

I mean I know lots of you guys on here are engineers, but sometimes you don't need a special tool to raise your oil catch can up 6 inchs.
Well, two problems with that. One, with the way the oil (9 qts!) comes gushing out when the plug is first pulled, having the catch pan close isn't necessarily enough. You have to be able to surround the flow, to contain it. That's where the milk jug has worked great for me. (At roughly a full gallon, it holds almost 1/2 the entire contents of the oil pan.)

Secondly, by elevating the catch pan enough to do any good you eliminate your working space. There's not enough of a gap to easily reach and remove the drain plug. That's my theory anyway...and I'm sticking with it
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #5992

Drove it home from the airport. Was parked there for a week while I was in the Yukon for work. Aaaaaaaaand, the window dropped 1/2 way down and would not roll up.

It has never worked since I bought it, except the 1/2" drop when I lift the door handle (both inside and outside). It does not drop when I use the roof and they dont roll down when I use the console switches. Before you ask, yes, my CLU is messed up and I need to get that fixed. It's on the list!

But having it drop makes me think there are signs of life? Perhaps the switch operation is not tried to the CLU as I originally thought. Maybe I need to look into something else........more fun ahead.

Last edited by Zzorro; 09-26-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #5993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
Drove it home from the airport. Was parked there for a week while I was in the Yukon for work. Aaaaaaaaand, the window dropped 1/2 way down and would not roll up.

It has never worked since I bought it, except the 1/2" drop when I lift the door handle (both inside and outside). It does not drop when I use the roof and they dont roll down when I use the console switches. Before you ask, yes, my CLU is messed up and I need to get that fixed. It's on the list!

But having it drop makes me think there are signs of life? Perhaps the switch operation is not tried to the CLU as I originally thought. Maybe I need to look into something else........more fun ahead.
I had some issue on my right side door window and lock. The problem was that with previous owner there had had some access of water in to the doorway and water had also somehow entered in to the 9-pin wireing harness connector that connects to the door latch. I opened the connector, cleaned all contact pins with electronic cleaner, let it dry real well and put it back together - did not need to open the latch mechanism. All window problems has been gone now roughly 3 months - regardless of some major rain storm weather driving (Boxster is my daily driver during summer).
Old 09-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #5994

Did the oil and filter change - filter is still super clean😎

While changing the oli, I did change also the Oil Pressure Relief Valve to the updated version from Porsche.

The short rattle at the start up is pretty much all gone now and can be heard only fraction of the time compared to the before the OPRV change. The updated part has different shape piston and slightly longer spring. This should help on keeping the oil pressure bit higher also on low rpm. Also I feel that the engine runs better and is a bit more responsive.
Old piston was slightly worn one side at the bottom skirt and also from top on same side. Parts cost was 25€, took addittional 10 minutes time to change while changing oil and what I can see from today's experience, it was money well spent 👌

On photos, first is the old OPRV, second is the new OPRV and lastly the filter cut open :dance:

Old 09-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #5995
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
We put a blue frunk lid and some white duct tape on 'Red', then drove around town with a bunch of strangers honking the horn. It was fun.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #5996

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
We put a blue frunk lid and some white duct tape on 'Red', then drove around town with a bunch of strangers honking the horn. It was fun.

😁

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #5997

Quote:

Thats the paint scheme I shoulda gone with.... My 4.3 woulda been right at home in it.

Love it even if its got a boxer engine.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:55 AM   #5998

Quote:
Love the car, not the bumper stickers and flags...

But hey, it's a free country and you're entitled to your own cultive mentality!

Last edited by piper6909; 09-27-2020 at 06:45 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #5999

Yesterday we went on a day-long scenic tour of North-Central PA. The nearly 400-mile trip was organized by the local PCA. Great time!

Old 09-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #6000
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Just completed wiring up the turn signal/side marker mod. :dance: