Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #5461
TRP

Stereo Installed!

I finally managed to wrap up the stereo install this weekend!

Here is what I started with:

Alpine something 149bt:

Not a bad deck by any stretch. I could have lived with it.

I wanted something more modern to tie into my phone. I picked up a Sony... something something 7000. Same as the 5000 except it has 55W per channel and an anti-glare capacitive touch screen. I only regret that I can't upload a custom wall paper. Only has 5 or 6 to chose from and they are all very boring.:

Boring Background:

My other main goal was to ditch the stock 6 channel amp (yes, I had a 6 channel amp) and DSP. The HVAC panel was moved to the DSP slot.
With that all moved I was able to pull out the 6 disc changer and install a modern amp with built in DSP. Because the car originally had an aftermarket deck in it the install of the deck was extremely simple. Everything I needed for the speakers was located on this one handy plug:

Handy amp plug:

I chose to modify the existing CD changer bracket to hold the amp. I used the old amplifier bracket to hold the cross overs.

I went with an AudioControl D-4.800.:

I wired the amp directly to the battery with Stinger 4 gauge and a big ole fuse. Picked up remote out from the deck. I ran one set of Stinger RCA's to the DSP. I also wired in a bypass to avoid the whole e-brake nonsense.

I went with some 3 way Focal speakers. (https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/performance/access/component-kits/165-as3) For whatever reason I didn't take any photos of the speaker install. I followed along with what most folks already found successful. I modified all of the existing Hayes brackets for the dash. For the 6" drivers I carved up the coveted smaller Hayes boxes to embed a 6" ABS mounting ring. I sealed up the edges around the ring and speaker and left the box ported/vented with the existing vent.

I'm sending Deck power (50-55W per channel) to the rear storage compartment speakers (4 - 3.5" speakers). I ran one set of RCA's from the deck to the amp. I send the output through channels 1-4. Front channel is through DSP to the cross overs / caps to the tweeters and mid-range on channels 1 and 2. The 6" drivers are being sent directly through the DSP using channels 3 and 4. I am choking down the drivers through the DSP. Chose to protect the mids/highs with the existing crossovers. May remove those later. Not sure. The way this is wired I can fade to front between front (D-4.800) and rear shelf to achieve a nice sound stage. May need to invest in better clock radio speakers behind my head.

Result was great. Need to learn this DSP software (and educate myself on frequency ranges!) to make this sound better. I was honestly blown away with how punchy the 6" speakers are. Impressed so far.

Thanks for letting me share,
Ted

Last edited by TRP; 01-21-2020 at 11:20 AM.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #5462
Who's askin'?

This.
This is what I did today.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:44 AM   #5463

Not today, but last week...

Took her out for Eiskhana with the PCA and Audi clubs. Loads of fun without getting out of first gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:58 AM   #5464

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
This.
This is what I did today.

Hang on! Did you spray paint the disk, wheel carrier and all the associated hardware with a metallic paint? There are no wear marks visible and all the pieces seem to have the exact same color!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:51 AM   #5465
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Hang on! Did you spray paint the disk, wheel carrier and all the associated hardware with a metallic paint? There are no wear marks visible and all the pieces seem to have the exact same color!
Well mostly I was referring to my work on the caliper. And the headers behind it.

But yes, I painted the rotor hat and the outer edge of the rotor with caliper paint. Everything else is overspray.

And never you mind, anker. Those cheap ceramic pads that are in there now will clear off that paint on the rotor before I even leave the garage ;-)

Last edited by maytag; 01-25-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #5466
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
I'm replying again, cuz as I thought about this, it made me laugh out loud, Haha.

So in that photo, you got a shiny new- looking caliper. You got bad-ass wrapped and coated headers. You got a shiny red new adjustable toe-link. And you've got stainless braided brake lines.

And you saw the silver paint on the rotor!?!? Ha. Tough room! ;-)

Old 01-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #5467

Quote:
I'm replying again, cuz as I thought about this, it made me laugh out loud, Haha.

So in that photo, you got a shiny new- looking caliper. You got bad-ass wrapped and coated headers. You got a shiny red new adjustable toe-link. And you've got stainless braided brake lines.

I noticed the headers too, but thought they may have been done some time ago. There really wasn't much to go on from your description.

But I, too, was wondering about what stood out to me front and center: The painted friction surface of the rotor! haha. I thought it was odd, but didn't question it because I figured you've been around long enough to know what you're doing.

P.S. The caliper and the toe link look great!

Last edited by piper6909; 01-25-2020 at 09:39 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:44 PM   #5468

Freshly re-wired headlight buckets.

I didn't de-pin the connectors on the outside of the bucket just crimped, but I did solder and de-pin the headlight connectors.

^^^ no more fire hazzard.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #5469

Quote:

Maytag, might want to think about wrapped headers. Leaking fluids drip (oil, PS fluid possibly) right onto those guys and eventually could cause a fire. I was thinking of wrapping mine, but watched a few vids of cars going up in smoke because of this very issue. Just a thought!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #5470

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Not today, but last week...

Took her out for Eiskhana with the PCA and Audi clubs. Loads of fun without getting out of first gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve done that! Total blast!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:44 PM   #5471
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage

Just finished 3D printing a prototype trailer hitch receiver for a project for a fellow forum member.
WizardSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:05 AM   #5472
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Maytag, might want to think about wrapped headers. Leaking fluids drip (oil, PS fluid possibly) right onto those guys and eventually could cause a fire. I was thinking of wrapping mine, but watched a few vids of cars going up in smoke because of this very issue. Just a thought!
Huh.
I'll admit that I've been wrapping headers for so many years that I didn't even pause to consider that these are actually "under" the motor, and that may change how I feel about it. Primarily because I won't SEE them as often, and I'm less likely to notice a problem before it is one.

Were the incidents you're referencing simply wrapped? Or were they wrapped and coated with silicone, as mine are, and as recommended?

Last edited by maytag; 01-27-2020 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:27 AM   #5473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Freshly re-wired headlight buckets.

I didn't de-pin the connectors on the outside of the bucket just crimped, but I did solder and de-pin the headlight connectors.

^^^ no more fire hazzard.
Ugh! Why did you do that? Now I'll have to go back and do mine too. BTW, very tidy job!
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:29 PM   #5474

Garage
Added Stabil to the tank, filled it up, went for a spin and put her to bed for the rest of the winter.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #5475
Need For Speed

Garage
My phone didn't take a very good picture, but my 03 Boxster S hit 129,000 miles today.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #5476

I replaced the front struts with some low KMs "S" struts I picked up from JayKay (forum member).

While I was in there I noticed the PO had already done all the front suspension components (controls arms etc) with meyle parts. So I'm golden for a while I think!

I did the complete rear suspension rebuild late last year (all new parts except for the Jaykay struts). The fronts are a lot easier. Very few things to take apart.

I'll get an alignment when I decide to insure it again.

These really are easy cars to work on.

Thanks for all the great tips on this forum.

Last edited by Zzorro; 02-10-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #5477
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Joshua Tree National Park

The National Park system is something we do right in this country. A Senior Lifetime pass is $80.00. Just under 300 miles before noon. Entered on the north side and stopped on top of Keys View (5,185') for the pictures. The snow is on Mt San Jacinto, (10,833'). Palm Springs is right below. The Coachella Valley continues on to the S/E. The Salton Sea is in the back ground. The run down from north to the southern entrance is just short of 60 miles of two lane twisty and worth the effort.

San Jacinto and Palm Springs

Salton Sea in the distance
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #5478

Wrapped headers (clamps to be cut still...) for my 2001 Boxter. In a few weeks I'll install these in with sport cats :dance:
Old 02-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #5479
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
The National Park system is something we do right in this country. A Senior Lifetime pass is $80.00. Just under 300 miles before noon. Entered on the north side and stopped on top of Keys View (5,185') for the pictures. The snow is on Mt San Jacinto, (10,833'). Palm Springs is right below. The Coachella Valley continues on to the S/E. The Salton Sea is in the back ground. The run down from north to the southern entrance is just short of 60 miles of two lane twisty and worth the effort.
Nice pics. I love driving through that area. We have family in Phoenix, Las Vegas, Palm Springs, and San Diego. Most years we fly to Phoenix or Vegas and get a rental to do a triangle bound by PHX, LAS, and SAN. Never with a Boxster though. I did do Oklahoma to Phoenix and ran through the Petrified Forest NP. The Park pass is a great deal.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:51 AM   #5480
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post

San Jacinto and Palm Springs

Salton Sea in the distance
You drove right past my home. Sorry to have missed ya!