Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #4861
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
I wrecked it
say WHAT?
:ah:

Old 03-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #4862

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckslvr View Post
I have the FVD Brombacher as well with headers, and test pipes. I was really expecting the car to be loud. But I am very happy with the FVD. Like mentioned above it has a great note, and no drone at cruising speed. But for me, when I get the car up around 5k it lets out a nice bark and really has that Porsche flat 6 growl.
I am liking the feedback; I don't want loud, droning, but nice deep tone
Old 03-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #4863

Garage
Cleaned and rebuilt the door latch that was giving me window problems, kinda a pain in the butt but all is good now.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #4864

I finished my 500 mile two day road trip, mostly highway with some traffic jams and city traffic. I averaged just under 23 mpg, using 4th, 5th and 6th gears on the highway to vary my engine speed during the break-in period. I've got about 500 miles to go until it is broken in and the oil is changed.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:41 AM   #4865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
I am liking the feedback; I don't want loud, droning, but nice deep tone
I will try and remember to get a db reading at idle and 3k. Iforgot to get a stock reading, but will give you an idea.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #4866

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckslvr View Post
I have the FVD Brombacher as well with headers, and test pipes. I was really expecting the car to be loud. But I am very happy with the FVD. Like mentioned above it has a great note, and no drone at cruising speed. But for me, when I get the car up around 5k it lets out a nice bark and really has that Porsche flat 6 growl.
This muffler is one of my favorite modifications. I have had it for maybe 6 years and I added test pipes a few years ago. Zero drone and barely louder than OEM when cruising, but awesome flat 6 sound upon any acceleration, especially full throttle and high RPM. Highly recommended!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #4867

99 986 engine mount removed

Removed my engine mount and wow the bushing just slid out pushing with one finger.

https://youtu.be/aFAvyMW2AhA

https://youtu.be/i_A6maJQKJ8
Attached Images

ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #4868
Need For Speed

Garage
Did some maintenance, new plugs (decided to try some NGK 94279 FR6AHX-S Ruthenium HX Plugs), oil, air and oil filters, plus some injector cleaner in the gas tank.

Then took her out for a nice drive. Ran across some Black Mercedes AMG, not sure what model, but he wanted to play. So we did and I made him look bad. The best part was when he finally gave up. We hit a straightaway at around 50 MPH after coming out of some roundabouts. I was about 6 car lengths in front of him and he started coming at me again and I nailed it and was pulling away the whole time. Saw him give up, I looked at my speedo and was at 110 MPH. The dude didn't even try to pull up and give me a thumbs up lol.

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-05-2019 at 05:14 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #4869

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Did some maintenance, new plugs (decided to try some NGK 94279 FR6AHX-S Ruthenium HX Plugs), oil, air and oil filters, plus some injector cleaner in the gas tank.

Then took her out for a nice drive. Ran across some Black Mercedes AMG, not sure what model, but he wanted to play. So we did and I made him look bad. The best part was when he finally gave up. We hit a straightaway at around 50 MPH after coming out of some roundabouts. I was about 6 car lengths in front of him and he started coming at me again and I nailed it and was pulling away the whole time. Saw him give up, I looked at my speedo and was at 110 MPH. The dude didn't even try to pull up and give me a thumbs up lol.
I see you have 996 TB, and exhaust upgrades; do you think those upgrades were the result of your sprint race with the AMG?
Old 04-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #4870
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
I see you have 996 TB, and exhaust upgrades; do you think those upgrades were the result of your sprint race with the AMG?
Oh yes they help, but the most seat of the pants power gain I felt was when I did the 987 Air Box, K&N Air Filter, 76mm Intake Pipe, 996 76mm TB and 997 Distribution T install all at once. Man it really helps this engine breath and made a very nice roar in the intake. I felt a power gain with the headers, secondary cat delete and Borla muffler, but the exhaust sound was more surprising. Nice deep sound that lets people know she isn't stock.

She roars on the intake and exhaust now. Had my nephew drive on the highway in his car as I came up from behind him full throttle. He said he could hear me coming and shocked him when I went by from the sound. He said it sounded like a proper sports car. Should have had him pull out his iPhone and film it, but wasn't thinking about it at the time.

About a month ago I ran into another 986 and the guy was all over me to play. It was only a straightaway, no turns and I just walked away from him like he was driving Ford Pinto. It was boring for me, but he must have sure loved it as he kept pulling back up to run again and again lol.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #4871

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfrigi View Post
Removed my engine mount and wow the bushing just slid out pushing with one finger.

https://youtu.be/aFAvyMW2AhA

https://youtu.be/i_A6maJQKJ8
Yep... pretty typical. Mine did the same.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #4872

Garage
Replaced Rear Track Arms. Actually bought a 21mm combi wrench, unlike a couple guys on YT who used channel locks to hold the nut.
Thanks CJ_Boxster for the tutorial.
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #4873

First day out with the top down. Its like getting a new car every spring. I am always impressed with this car. An acquaintance realized that he will never finish his air cooled Porsche project and offered to trade me so I have my fingers crossed. I can always find another good Boxster (I hope)
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #4874

Garage
I tried to change the AOS. The mounting bolts must be original, because they are far tighter than a 6mm should be. I got the lower loose, but the top one is shrouded such that, one-handed, I can't keep good pressure on it with a ratchet and it slips off. I even tried applying pressure with a long screwdriver through the wheel well with no luck.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #4875
Need For Speed

Garage
Yesterday I went to clean the Mass Air Flow Meter on my car. When I was trying to get it out, it was not coming out by hand. So I grabbed a pair of pliers and pinched onto one edge of the MAF connection flange, to make sure I didn't break it. I finally got it out and I saw something fall as I was pulling it out. On the side of the MAF there is a little panel that is held in by some type of adhesive. See picture marked with red for this little panel area.

I'm lucky that somehow this panel got stuck at the MAF area or it could have easily went into my intake system. I didn't take any pictures at the time as I was too busy cleaning out the old adhesive that was more like sticky mushy gunk then anything at this point. I finally got it all cleaned out, being careful not to damage the wire and resistor on the other side. Used some Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant to attach the panel back to the MAF. The Permatex directions says it takes 24 hours to fully cure. So I have been waiting patiently for the adhesive to fully cure. Got the MAF back in the car and took her for a nice easy drive. It works perfect, so no damage had been done. I wasn't getting any weird readings on my Durametric and no CEL. Glad I decided to clean the MAF and found this before it became a major issue for me.

I didn't feel like getting back into the engine bay after the drive to check the MAF and make sure that panel is still fine, but tomorrow I am going back in there to make sure.

Wonder what made the adhesive give out like that? You would think Bosch would use something that didn't turn into sticky mushy gunk and let that panel come off. Or maybe the CRC MAF cleaner isn't very friendly to that adhesive over time? I have cleaned the MAF on a yearly bases with this stuff.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:08 AM   #4876

Went for a ride after finishing the new look. Stickers add at least 5hp!

More pics in the Show & tell forum.

Nevergrowup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
I tried to change the AOS. The mounting bolts must be original, because they are far tighter than a 6mm should be. I got the lower loose, but the top one is shrouded such that, one-handed, I can't keep good pressure on it with a ratchet and it slips off. I even tried applying pressure with a long screwdriver through the wheel well with no luck.
Mine were like that, star drive, even. I got the bottom one out, but couldn't get the top one. Finally ended up putting the handle for my cycle lift inboard of the AOS and against the transmission and just pried it. It's only plastic, you're gonna replace it anyhow, so break it. I didn't bother with messing with the bellows clamp, either. Just yank it out. They sell a replacement bellows clamp with a blue thing that holds the clamp open--this little handle is worth the price of the clamp (it's reuseable.) I don't worry about next time, I'll repeat the breaking and yanking. Makes it easy. btw, I used a slight grease film on the inside of the bellows, it slipped right on the crankcase port, easy peasy.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 04-08-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:52 AM   #4878

Gave the 2000S it's first washing of 2019 on a sunny spring afternoon, vacuumed the interior well, cleaned the glass, and applied Rejex to the wheels then an application of Griot's speed shine. The car looks so good part of me wanted to keep it in the garage to admire... but it's not a garage queen, it's a car so I took it for a nice, top-down drive. When I parked it back in the garage, I admired it again.

While I miss all this while it's in storage Nov - April, when I take it out, it's much like the renewal of the earth in Spring.

Larry (the Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #4879
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Well... not today...

Saturday the 85 degrees called for a drive into 92262.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #4880

Garage
Major service

Took it to a local indy and had it steam cleaned top and bottom.

Changed Oil, Filter, Trans Oil, Fuel Filter, Intake and Cabin Filters; Flushed PS Fluid.
I used my combo shallow oil drain/holder. I didn't realize that emptying the oil from the Boxster was like a cow pi**ing on a flat rock. Made a mess!

'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote