Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #4681
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
The fire extinguisher is required for my PCA region’s HPDE events. After your first novice event you’re not (supposed to be) allowed on the track without it.

For an engine compartment fire, your only option is to spray into the right had side engine compartment intake cooling vent.

If you’re trapped in the car you would have the extinguisher within reach for fuel or electrical short fires.

For other fires where you can exit the car you should attempt to extinguish by targeting the base of the fire source.
Thank you!

Old 12-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #4682
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Cleaned the engine

Took the Throttle Body out and cleaned it

Clean

Cleaned the MAF

(I need to get back in there and do some touch-up
Upper right in your first picture... on the plenum... looks like blue tape wrapped around something...

What is that?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #4683
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Upper right in your first picture... on the plenum... looks like blue tape wrapped around something...

What is that?

Thanks!
Engine compartment temperature sensor.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #4684

Garage
What did you do with/to your Boxster today?

I got my paint fixed finally. When I got the car the paint looked like it had been last washed with steel wool..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by harrg67; 12-18-2018 at 05:08 AM.
harrg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #4685
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrg67 View Post
I got my paint fixed finally. When I got the car the paint looked like it had been last washed with steel wool..
How'd you fix it?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:44 AM   #4686

Garage
[QUOTE=maytag;585481]How'd you fix it?

I paid my buddy to do it.. he ended up having to wet sand most of the body, got down to 3000 grit with the orbital polisher. The scratches were bad.

harrg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #4687
2004 Boxster

New Spark Plugs

I installed new spark plugs in my 2004 Boxster @ 56,000 mies. I felt a dramatic improvement in acceleration. It pinned me to the seat. Very responsive. Don't know when they were last changed. Bought it 6 months ago.
SHLATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #4688
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Replaced the voltage regular with a new Bosch part, now outputting 14.2v again and no battery light. Tuesday I changed the brake fluid.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #4689

Garage
No more 3000 rpm vibration

Replaced the front motor mount today. Took most of all day, even though Pelican said 2 hours. 5 hours due to inexperience and I had to go to a machine shop to have the new insert pressed in. I sort of felt a little taken advantage of by the machine shop. 40$ for 15 minutes work to pull the old mount and press in the new one. Come on. Sorry for the venting. Anybody else have the same experience? The car does drive quieter and a lot smoother. Love it now. Back to driving it again.

Happy Holidays.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #4690

Install AUX cable

Removing the old CD deck in the front trunk and installing an AUX cable.
priceless.
2sylbls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #4691
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
Replaced the front motor mount today. Took most of all day, even though Pelican said 2 hours. 5 hours due to inexperience and I had to go to a machine shop to have the new insert pressed in. I sort of felt a little taken advantage of by the machine shop. 40$ for 15 minutes work to pull the old mount and press in the new one. Come on. Sorry for the venting. Anybody else have the same experience? The car does drive quieter and a lot smoother. Love it now. Back to driving it again.

Happy Holidays.
If ever you replace it, again... it'll take you a couple hours. Did you get the WP while you were in there? It's a breeze with the mount out.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #4692

Replaced passenger side front parking light. I had been using a cluged wrench until today when the awesome headlight housing removal wrench (tm) arrived from pelican parts. Next up, passenger side, side marker light bulb replacement. And then, the frunk light, which would have helped with the first task.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #4693

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
If ever you replace it, again... it'll take you a couple hours. Did you get the WP while you were in there? It's a breeze with the mount out.
No, previous owner did the wp, about 20k miles ago from his records. About how often does it need to be changed? I do have a new one on the shelf, when I thought it was leaking turns out it was loose clamps. Or rather cheap worm drive clamps. When I do change the WP, I’m going back to the original style clamps.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #4694

Garage
Installed Console Delete

Sooooo much more comfy for the right leg. Notice I'm using the uncovered hole for my sunglasses

My car came with Footwell Lights. They were riveted on to the old panels, so I drilled out the rivets and screwed them onto the new console.

btw - I was not able to stuff the DSP board behind, so some research found you can bypass it by jumpering pins 2 and 6 (DSP Interupt, GND) on the connector and the amp will work.
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:50 AM   #4695

ordered new poly all front bushes
https://powerflexstore.co.uk/porsche/boxster-986-1997-2004/
mermade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #4696

Changed a headlight washer in the '01 S

Santa brought me a box of parts from Suncoast so i thought i would put the washer assembly in. Yes , I said assembly, you can't buy a nozzle for an '01 apparently.
A nozzle was missing on the driver side since i bought the car in October.
Annoying.
Head light removal was a breeze ( thank you Germany )
The easiest way to get the old washer out is to cut the old hose , remove the washer head, then take needle nosed vise grips and mangle the quick connect until it finally gives up and lets go. There is a risk of breaking the plastic connector it's attached to if you're not careful. I didn't break anything. If you cut the hose.... you are throwing out, then you can turn the quick connect as your're destroying it.
Once out , snap on the new quick connect, then slide the new head into place. Tighten the nut snug....because you're going to need to adjust it so its sits perfectly in the hole in the headlight. Slide the light in , connect its quick connect, and lift the head light slightly as you slide it in so you don't smash off a brand new nozzle. I didn't.

2sylbls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:54 PM   #4697
Who's askin'?

Look what my wife gave me for christmas!

Cold, snowy winters here, mean several months sitting. She and I both have summer toys that have dead batteries when they sit that long.

She actually won this at a PCA christmas dinner. (Our intermountain region is AWESOME! haha)

So I installed this today, with a hard-wired setup that terminates in a 12v power socket in the frunk. So pop the hood, plug it in, put the cover on. Good-to-go!

Thanks baby! ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #4698
Santa Barbara, CA

Added a Subwoofer to my upgraded BT stereo...finally, decent sound!

A while back I added a new stereo JVC X33BTS to my '98 986 with new dash speakers Alpine SPS-410's and new door speakers, Pioneer TS-A1676R's, but the sound was still pretty wimpy so, this week I let Santa buy me a subwoofer.

Spoiler alert: It's a huge improvement. No it's not a high-end system, but considering we're dealing with a noisy convertible and I drive 99% with the top down it's the best it's ever been and worth the small expense and effort.

Due to lack of space anywhere else and not wanting kleptomaniacs to see the sub on the back deck, I mounted the Pioneer TS-WX130DA sub in the passenger footwell. It's 11 x 7.87 x 2.75", two bolts and three wires and it's in. It draws only 4.5A so is a simple install. Wires into the unswitched radio power and improves the sound noticeably. The remote, velcroed to the dash, is much better than fiddling with the radio controls and depending on the music, the adjustment can be a little or a lot to get acceptable music.

All in all, for the price of a new tire I have decent tunes in my 20 year old joy ride.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:46 AM   #4699
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvfante View Post
A while back I added a new stereo JVC X33BTS to my '98 986 with new dash speakers Alpine SPS-410's and new door speakers, Pioneer TS-A1676R's, but the sound was still pretty wimpy so, this week I let Santa buy me a subwoofer.

Spoiler alert: It's a huge improvement. No it's not a high-end system, but considering we're dealing with a noisy convertible and I drive 99% with the top down it's the best it's ever been and worth the small expense and effort.

Due to lack of space anywhere else and not wanting kleptomaniacs to see the sub on the back deck, I mounted the Pioneer TS-WX130DA sub in the passenger footwell. It's 11 x 7.87 x 2.75", two bolts and three wires and it's in. It draws only 4.5A so is a simple install. Wires into the unswitched radio power and improves the sound noticeably. The remote, velcroed to the dash, is much better than fiddling with the radio controls and depending on the music, the adjustment can be a little or a lot to get acceptable music.

All in all, for the price of a new tire I have decent tunes in my 20 year old joy ride.

Nice little unit. I had installed a Kenwood KSC-SW11 150-Watt Compact Powered Subwoofer with Remote and had it mounted at the top of the passenger footwell. Hidden. Discrete. It's awesome.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #4700
Pathological Tinkerer

What did you do with/to your Boxster today?

Dropped the motor for winter maintenance and upgrade work.

Last edited by P_Carfahrer; 12-30-2018 at 09:56 AM.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote