View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 04:46 AM   #4699
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvfante View Post
A while back I added a new stereo JVC X33BTS to my '98 986 with new dash speakers Alpine SPS-410's and new door speakers, Pioneer TS-A1676R's, but the sound was still pretty wimpy so, this week I let Santa buy me a subwoofer.

Spoiler alert: It's a huge improvement. No it's not a high-end system, but considering we're dealing with a noisy convertible and I drive 99% with the top down it's the best it's ever been and worth the small expense and effort.

Due to lack of space anywhere else and not wanting kleptomaniacs to see the sub on the back deck, I mounted the Pioneer TS-WX130DA sub in the passenger footwell. It's 11 x 7.87 x 2.75", two bolts and three wires and it's in. It draws only 4.5A so is a simple install. Wires into the unswitched radio power and improves the sound noticeably. The remote, velcroed to the dash, is much better than fiddling with the radio controls and depending on the music, the adjustment can be a little or a lot to get acceptable music.

All in all, for the price of a new tire I have decent tunes in my 20 year old joy ride.

Nice little unit. I had installed a Kenwood KSC-SW11 150-Watt Compact Powered Subwoofer with Remote and had it mounted at the top of the passenger footwell. Hidden. Discrete. It's awesome.