Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 05:04 PM   #4301

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
I just did the coolant tank. That was fun.............
Congrats... Not an easy task. I have helped friends with their coolant tank but haven't had the joy of doing mine.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #4302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Congrats... Not an easy task. I have helped friends with their coolant tank but haven't had the joy of doing mine.
Probably the wrong thread, but why not just drill out all of the connections at the black plastic flange that bolts on to the firewall and connect the ~6" long hoses behind the firewall to the hoses running to the coolant tank with with barbed hose joiners and spring clamps. Would be just a heck of a lot easier to replace these tanks. But I supposed these were never supposed to be replaced.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #4303

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Awesome job!
512TXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #4304

Quote:
Probably the wrong thread, but why not just drill out all of the connections at the black plastic flange that bolts on to the firewall and connect the ~6" long hoses behind the firewall to the hoses running to the coolant tank with with barbed hose joiners and spring clamps. Would be just a heck of a lot easier to replace these tanks. But I supposed these were never supposed to be replaced.
If you've ever done one, it becomes obvious that nobody at the factory ever thought or cared if anyone ever changes the tank. The spring clamps are put on so that you can't hardly get to them to compress them, the hoses that go from the bulkhead manifold are welded to the metal tubes on the passenger side and are fairly painful to get to. I replaced all those small diameter hoses with bulk stock hose, used the spring clamps over again to attach to the bulkhead manifold and put it back in preassembled, so that all was necessary was to connect the oil tube, the oil dipstick tube, the oil cooler hose and the two feed lines to their prospective destinations in the engine compartment. Any coolant hoses in the engine compartment got 1/4" drive spiral hose clamps. Still not easy, but a lot easier.

Plan on replacing the oil filler tube and the dipstick tube, both mine kinda crumbled.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #4305

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I just added the Porsche Letters three days ago. I wanted to keep the letters the same color as the Boxster S emblem. Some on the forum have added both in chrome.

Looks nice! Makes it look like a newer model.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #4306

BTW, I'm kinda stalled on a project. I replaced the worn carpeting with much less worn carpeting. Can't get the wiring connector hooked back up to the gas pedal--gotta keep wacking at it, but it's so hot these days. Changing carpeting is not for the faint of heart!
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #4307

Garage
I installed the Circuit Werks exhaust on my car.

Listen to it below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=el9QfUNsnPc
Old 06-01-2018, 10:47 PM   #4308

Replaced the original front strut/shocks with new Bilstein H6 and hoping to replaced rear next week.
Attached Images

Last edited by ndfrigi; 06-02-2018 at 12:41 AM.
ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:00 AM   #4309
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Changed the climate control backlights from blue to electric blue, then white, then back to blue.

Sadly, the opaque button material greatly affects the hue of lighter color LEDs passing through it. Electric blue looked closer to "surgical scrub" green and white looked light orange. Very disappointing...oh well. Blue it is.

This was the electric blue (not bad on the screen, but the buttons look horrid):

Last edited by particlewave; 06-02-2018 at 01:05 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #4310

Quote:
This is a great idea. Not stock but will make your (any future owners) lives easier and less expensive. Knock wood I don't have to have this done, but I will go this route should the need arise.
ShortRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #4311
Who's askin'?

Working through some minor things to prep for my first DE / Track day in a couple of weeks.
Painted the spare wheels.
Pulled the front bumper and cleaned between the radiators.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #4312

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfrigi View Post
Replaced the original front strut/shocks with new Bilstein H6 and hoping to replaced rear next week.
Looks great!
Old 06-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #4313

Garage
Went to CruZionzville CIRPCA event. Listened to home good music and saw about 90 Porsche’s.
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #4314
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Changed the climate control backlights from blue to electric blue, then white, then back to blue.
Does this mean that you are changing all of the orange lighting (controls, dash, orientation lighting) to blue? If so, would you mind starting a thread? I would be very interested in seeing results, ideas and frustrations. . Thanks much!
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #4315
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
Does this mean that you are changing all of the orange lighting (controls, dash, orientation lighting) to blue? If so, would you mind starting a thread? I would be very interested in seeing results, ideas and frustrations. . Thanks much!
I actually changed them to blue years ago:
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/36014-changing-color-climate-control-switch-back-lights.html

Old picture...
Attached Images

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #4316
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Thanks... I guess search is your friend. Duh.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #4317

Got out my Harbor Freight buffer, my Maguires glaze and been doing some TLC on my ride. Best $50 ive spent lately.

Last edited by JBauer; 06-04-2018 at 02:36 PM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #4318

Installed my new ignition switch and installed a nulaxy km24 fm transmitter. It works like a dream. Very clear calls and music sounds great. I would highly recommend it. I also got a “hug buddy” from an auto parts store and put it on the nearest passenger vent and passenger cup holder. Holds my iPhone 7 Plus well and is easy to see for directions. Loving the Boxster so far!!
Old 06-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #4319

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster View Post
Installed my new ignition switch and installed a nulaxy km24 fm transmitter. It works like a dream. Very clear calls and music sounds great. I would highly recommend it. I also got a “hug buddy” from an auto parts store and put it on the nearest passenger vent and passenger cup holder. Holds my iPhone 7 Plus well and is easy to see for directions. Loving the Boxster so far!!
Is this the “CarPlay” stereo?
Old 06-06-2018, 03:54 AM   #4320

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512TXS View Post
Is this the “CarPlay” stereo?
No, I wish. It is just a stand alone unit that does bluetooth and plugs into the cig lighter. Only cost $23. Very cheap for what it is.