Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2022, 12:16 PM   #6581

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I'm hoping they didn't ruin the tranny mounts. It's a tranny shop, not a Porsche specialty shop.
Can you describe when and how the engine vibration appear?

Since a clutch job i have engine vibrations from around 2.500 rpm up. They are definitely engine related.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:56 PM   #6582

I picked the AX7000 specifically because it puts out 45w RMS, and my car had the factory head unit and amp replaced already. I figured I would have to either get a 4+ channel amp or run the dash/door speakers directly off the head unit, and this Sony has enough power to do it. If your head unit and/or amp are still factory, that is irrelevant.

The volume buttons are pretty easy to hit without looking so far, you might want to check out some of their newer stuff to see if the screen quality has improved- the Crutchfield reviews make me think they have, and the 7000 is a few years old already.
Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:27 PM   #6583

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I picked the AX7000 specifically because it puts out 45w RMS, and my car had the factory head unit and amp replaced already. I figured I would have to either get a 4+ channel amp or run the dash/door speakers directly off the head unit, and this Sony has enough power to do it. If your head unit and/or amp are still factory, that is irrelevant.

The volume buttons are pretty easy to hit without looking so far, you might want to check out some of their newer stuff to see if the screen quality has improved- the Crutchfield reviews make me think they have, and the 7000 is a few years old already.
Thanks
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:46 AM   #6584

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Thanks for that, I am looking for a good unit with a volume knob like that one. It looks like it is discontinued at Crutchfield. I keep coming back to the Porsche Classic radio because of the physical buttons and knobs but the price

Porsche Classic Radio (996/986) at Suncoast
I was exactly the same way lol! I may still go down the Classic Radio path in the future but it's a long way down the road.

Look for a used Sony unit on ebay or something. They were cheap when new.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:02 AM   #6585

Didn't do the work today, but we had rain all morning and I confirmed my work sealing the doors stopped the leaks, very happy about that.

Also seems like my reverse light fuse is blowing for some reason, I replaced it and got my backup camera going, only to have it stop working a few hours later. Hope there's an obvious problem with the wiring somewhere I can easily fix it...
Old 11-28-2022, 09:40 PM   #6586

The backup camera wiring turned out to be loose, works fine now after putting some proper connectors on.

Installed some Infinity 4" speakers in the dash using 3d printed adapters- had to cut the mounting tabs off the speakers. Cut one side too far and had to secure the speaker with epoxy, figure I won't need to replace it again for years if ever, the other side I was more careful and they're sandwiched between the grill and the adapter ring.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4816079
Old 12-09-2022, 05:07 PM   #6587

Drove her to Cars & Coffee in San Clemente Ca

Herbert W. Hamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:29 AM   #6588

Radiator Cleaning

First time taking off the bumper. Will add center radiator in the future.
986SchnellWagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 01:38 PM   #6589
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This Zanzibar Red project car sat for over a year without any progress. A couple weeks ago I made the decision to let her go to a friend and good new home. He's probably going to have to shuffle a few other Boxsters to fit her in.

Now I can focus on a little maintenance on two and major projects on two others without pressure to get this one done. ...I still love that color.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #6590

It made it from one end of Oklahoma to the other with no issues. I got back home about 5pm Christmas Eve. It sat in front of the house on the trailer until Christmas noon.

I already had a hole in the driveway waiting for it. I spent Christmas day afternoon and the day after knocking off the top layer of grime and cataloging a parts list. It's going to be a fun project. It's my first tiptronic Boxster, so I'll have a learning curve getting what's wrong with the transmission figured out. The engine started with a little help and once the idle settled down it sat running in the drive for about two hours. No leaks, puddles or other nonsense. The UPS and FedEx trucks are starting deliveries tomorrow, with a big order coming from Suncoast in a couple days. The Pelican order will go in before the weekend is over and once pieces and parts start rolling in the fun really starts. It's going to clean up well with some elbow grease, sweat and $$$.

Thanks to Jon for cutting loose with this Boxster for me. Zanzibar Red is the one color I've been wanting and not been able to find. I've been bugging him for it since the day he told me that he drug it home.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2022, 06:44 PM   #6591

Garage
Nice, have fun
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:12 PM   #6592

Garage
Installed AC in my garage. This will let me work on her pretty much any time vs being forced to only pick days where my balls don't sweat off here in Florida.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:22 PM   #6593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
Installed AC in my garage. This will let me work on her pretty much any time vs being forced to only pick days where my balls don't sweat off here in Florida.
Is it really hot in central FL? Need to move to the panhandle!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:18 AM   #6594

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Is it really hot in central FL? Need to move to the panhandle!
Haha! Not with AC it's not lol! We moved to the Orlando area 6 years ago from Atlanta and love it.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:13 PM   #6595

Serviced the starter (took apart, cleaned, re-lubed and re-assembled).
Openedd the oil pan and to a happy surprise there was almost nothing there to be found - only few small peaces of brown plastic, probaly from chain guides.
Tested those peaces with magnet to confirm them to be plastic.

Also the oil pickup was fully clean.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:38 AM   #6596

Yesterday was time to change the Bank 1 chain ramps.

Those look real nice - only the VarioCam small lower pad with oil channel showed wear.
Also cams and cam cover looked real nice with almost no any wear.
Looks like frequent oil changes are paying off.

Old 01-09-2023, 01:16 PM   #6597

I removed my first engine!
Attached Images

2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:10 AM   #6598

Garage
Nice! Hoping to go down the engine replacement route some day.
Old 01-10-2023, 04:17 AM   #6599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
Nice! Hoping to go down the engine replacement route some day.
It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Now that I’ve documented it, I could do it in about 6 hours the second time I bet
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:26 AM   #6600

Love the videos, all I've managed to do lately is replace plugs and the AOS. Hope I never have to do that again, getting the bolts started took way longer than expected.

It started raining on me halfway through, and the water was draining directly down into my right ear. Learning point there is don't get nagged into doing the inside house work first while the sun is out.