Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

Garage
Exclamation Fuel Filter Wire Help

So, right now I am changing my fuel filter.

I have undone both black clamps that deliver the fuel and have the filter pretty much off.

The problem is this: The ground wire will not come off (brown wiring with clear plastic piece to the right)!

I have pulled at it very, very hard but it does not budge. I am pulling on the plastic piece from the original OEM filter. It will also wiggle back and forth, but refuses to come off. Can anyone who changed their fuel filter give me advice and explain how they did theirs?

Last edited by Kenny Boxster; 03-25-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

Garage
Ah fixed it guys. Holy moley that was hard to take off! Brute strength and a hernia later the wire came off!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #3

I changed my fuel filter for the first time 4 days ago and had the exact same problem with the ground wire. I had to resort to gripping the connector gently with a pair of pliers and giving it a firm tug.

Gotta say I LOVED the fuel quick-connectors, though. SO easy, compared to other makes' connectors. Wonderful German engineering.

My new filter came with a plastic plug to protect the long...neck, I don't know what else to call it. Knowing that fuel was going to spill out that neck, I put the plug on it the moment I removed the connector. I'm going to look at the removed filter and see if there is something I can jam in the other connector (on the end of the short hose) to stop so much fuel from coming out that end.

Here's a question...how do I safely dispose of the old filter? I drained it and left it outside overnight, thinking it would dry out. The next morning I tossed it in my recycling bin, but hours later I removed the lid of the bin and was greeted by wicked fuel fumes. It's now outside again. Will it eventually stop stinking by itself? Or can I do something to speed-up the process?
Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auf los! View Post
I changed my fuel filter for the first time 4 days ago and had the exact same problem with the ground wire. I had to resort to gripping the connector gently with a pair of pliers and giving it a firm tug.

Gotta say I LOVED the fuel quick-connectors, though. SO easy, compared to other makes' connectors. Wonderful German engineering.

My new filter came with a plastic plug to protect the long...neck, I don't know what else to call it. Knowing that fuel was going to spill out that neck, I put the plug on it the moment I removed the connector. I'm going to look at the removed filter and see if there is something I can jam in the other connector (on the end of the short hose) to stop so much fuel from coming out that end.

Here's a question...how do I safely dispose of the old filter? I drained it and left it outside overnight, thinking it would dry out. The next morning I tossed it in my recycling bin, but hours later I removed the lid of the bin and was greeted by wicked fuel fumes. It's now outside again. Will it eventually stop stinking by itself? Or can I do something to speed-up the process?
I took mine to an oil collection center and they accepted it. Unfortunately though, I changed the filter but it is not in place as the metal retaining ring came off! I will have to figure out how to get that sucker back on.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #5

My ring also came loose, and after a lot of head-scratching I realized that the halves of the black plastic coolant hose locating "clamps" nestle together on top. I had loosened the lower one and slid it towards the front of the car, and that revealed that a curved tab on top is what must grab the filter retaining ring.

So I trapped the metal ring under the curved tab and slid the lower half towards the back of the car until the two halves were aligned again. Screwed the two halves back together, tightened the filter ring screw, and the filter was secure again.

Good luck!
Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auf los! View Post
My ring also came loose, and after a lot of head-scratching I realized that the halves of the black plastic coolant hose locating "clamps" nestle together on top. I had loosened the lower one and slid it towards the front of the car, and that revealed that a curved tab on top is what must grab the filter retaining ring.

So I trapped the metal ring under the curved tab and slid the lower half towards the back of the car until the two halves were aligned again. Screwed the two halves back together, tightened the filter ring screw, and the filter was secure again.

Good luck!
Sounds really easy but in reality will be a headache. I will probably end up zip tying the thing if I cannot get the ring back on.