Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #1

Price for IMS/RMS work?

Hello all,
A local independent Porsche shop quoted $1000 (approximately $750 labor and $250 for parts). Does that sound reasonable? Includes IMS bearing and replacing RMS.

Thanks

01 boxster

Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
The part price seems low particularly for an ims bearing. I also have a 2001 Boxster base and want the ims ln ceramic bearing installed in the next year or two. I am sure there will be others posting here shortly.:dance: I have a quote for ims bearing, rms plus clutch for $3500 ballpart but I live in Canada and everything is more here.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

Garage
X2 too low, be careful with low prices, it means they do not understand the work you are asking them to perform.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #4

Garage
Try this thread .

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/33277-ims-replacement-survey.html
Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #5

the quoted price might be for the pelican parts bearing instead of the LN, $150 for the PP bearing + 100 ish? for the RMS and associated parts? labor sounds really low though, I was quoted $2100 for LN bearing and AOS.
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #6

Heres the whole 9yards, and DIY..... Oh, and the bearing you were quoted, probably cost them $7.95 and is nothing special.

Porsche 911 996 C2 Tool Kit Bearing LN Engineering IMS Retrofit Engine Dual Row | eBay
feelyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelyx View Post
Heres the whole 9yards, and DIY..... Oh, and the bearing you were quoted, probably cost them $7.95 and is nothing special.

Porsche 911 996 C2 Tool Kit Bearing LN Engineering IMS Retrofit Engine Dual Row | eBay
that is a streal! why do I have to have a single row
Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #8

Have a shop that did my son in-laws car a month ago in Nor Cal for 1k. I think other shops are just charging too much. This shop here have done several upgrades of which I know some of the owners of the car.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheckler View Post
Hello all,
A local independent Porsche shop quoted $1000 (approximately $750 labor and $250 for parts). Does that sound reasonable? Includes IMS bearing and replacing RMS.

Thanks

01 boxster
Let's see: About $500-600 for the IMS bearing kit and RMS parts at retail alone, plus 10-12 hours shop time..............based upon the quote, I'd think I would be a bit concerned.............
Old 01-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #10

How is the eBay deal a steal? Just curious? It won't sell for $395 promise. I don't know a single eBay seller who doesn't have his **friend** step in right before you "win it" and false buy it for more.

The guy's quote is low. He has never tried to pull off a rusty/nasty Boxster muffler system!! :LOL:

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #11

Seems low. However, if the shop is slow and needs the $750, they may do it. I would really look to see if the shop is qualified and has done this repair on a Porsche before. I wouldn't want my car to be his maiden voyage.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #12

yeah Im paying a little more than I could probably find a place to do it for, but the shop has done numerous IMS retrofits and are on the PCA national tech committee so I feel pretty good about the work
Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #13
recycledsixtie

Garage
When I get similar work done on my 2001 Boxster in the next year or two I am more concerned about getting the work done right than getting the cheapest price. Sometimes when it is cheap u get what you pay for. I recently read a thread somewhere where the work was supposedly done and the new ims part stayed on the workbench. The employee was fired. I would only consider an indy repair/dealer that has done it before. LN engineering in the deep south would be the ideal but it's a long drive from here
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Let's see: About $500-600 for the IMS bearing kit and RMS parts at retail alone, plus 10-12 hours shop time..............based upon the quote, I'd think I would be a bit concerned.............
is it really that much time for an experienced shop? You figure 2.5 hours to remove the trans two hours to swap in the new parts and three hours to put back together and the mandatory oil change. At about $100 an hour labor that's ~$800 and another $600 for parts.

Yeah you're right that's too low.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Seems low. However, if the shop is slow and needs the $750, they may do it. I would really look to see if the shop is qualified and has done this repair on a Porsche before. I wouldn't want my car to be his maiden voyage.
my IMS was the maiden voyage for my Indy. But my shop is a highly experienced one specializing in all vintage of Porsches and other high end cars. An IMS swap for a seasoned pro is a piece of cake. I've seen guys do this job in their backyards without a lift, without specialized tools, working solo. One guy even made his own RMS tool using pvc tubing. Granted the whole job took him over a week.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote