Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #1

CLUTCH Question

Hi i need some feed back from fellow boxster owners my car recently stop working i have a 2002 boxster s with 96 thousand miles recently the car quit moving the car will not move at all it turns on i believe the clutch failed on me. Before it went out whenever i would shift into gears the car would take forever to respond and would over rev if i press on the gas so i was wondering if anyone had any issues like i had because i've also hear it might not be the clutch it could be hydraulic clutch engagement system either way its going to the shop the reason i'm asking is because im scared it might be the transmission and not the clutch i just need some peace at mind

giani986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #2

It's unlikely that your transmission (manual) is out. It sounds like your clutch gave out - with significant warning. So, it turns over, starts and runs? Then what happens when you depress the clutch peddle? Can you put it into gear? If so, what happens when you release the clutch?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #3

clutch question

Hey thanks for the reply and yes the car starts and everything runs fine except when i push the clutch it will go all the way down but will sometimes get stuck or come back up slowly it will let me put in gear any gear it sounds like its really loose too when i switch gears but when i put it into gear like first or reverse it will rev and when i try to move the vehicle the clutch will slowly come up and the engine will just rev like but wont actualy move it just revs up the engine like i was peeling out
Old 09-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Boxster Abuser

sounds like your clutch was just very worn. If it was revving up before moving you foward after a shift that is called "clutch slipping" and should have been the indication that you needed to change the clutch ASAP. Now that it isn't moving, you should tow it to a shop. Expect to pay for a new clutch AND flywheel now that it has made it to its current condition.

Next time, change it MUCH sooner.
Eric523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #5

Sounds like the clutch is toast. With 96K on it, that is more than most clutches will last. Make sure that they check the IMS while they are in there. If you can afford it, now would be a good time to update to the LN bearing, since everything will be apart and it will be easy to do it.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

+1 on clutch worn out.

With 96K miles, don't be too surprised if you also need to replace the pressure plate, the throw-out bearing, and/or the dual mass flywheel. And all of this can get pretty expensive but it will be as good or better than new when you're done.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
+1 on clutch worn out.

With 96K miles, don't be too surprised if you also need to replace the pressure plate, the throw-out bearing, and/or the dual mass flywheel. And all of this can get pretty expensive but it will be as good or better than new when you're done.
Best budget $3k and throw in the ln IMS retrofit and a new rear main seal while you're in there. And after it's done you'll be driving a new beast.
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #8

Thank You

Thanks for all the response took it to the shop and its getting fixed as we speak they check the boxster and let me know i was lucky that only the clutch needs replacing and not the flywheel im not to familar with the IMS but i will def ask around little rock is not the best place to have a foreign car ha buti love my boxster i will give you a guys an update once its out of the shop and the repair bill is a hefty one