Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #1

Luck of the Krauts!

Well, I can't help it if I'm not Irish!
Went out to take the box for a quick tire pressure check and top-up, before leaving at 6:00 AM tomorrow. We're heading out for a week to the Texas Hill Country.
Hit the starter and it turned over pretty slowly, then kicked off. I figured it's set for about three weeks and it'll be alright by the time I run the 3 miles to the station.
Checked the pressures and had to top up the right front, got in, hit the starter and it just barely turned over enough to start!
Crap!! Friday evening, we want to head out at 6:00 and the dealer doesn't open until 9:00 on Saturdays.
Just for grins, I went to Discount Auto across the street and low and behold they actually had one of those weird batteries for the 987 and everything we needed to switch them out.
15 minutes and $164.85 and on my way!!

Hoorah for Discount and Kraut-ish luck!

Off toward Texas in the AM!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #2

Hi Kurt, this is a copy from the "OEM Battery" thread, just in case you missed it.

Quote:

"What does it cost if it boils all the acid out, all over the inside of your frunk?
What kind of damage to your car/battery guarantee comes with it?
Reckon your plug modification voided any warranty it may have had?

Not tryin to be a smart-ass, just hope you learn from my stupidity! "

Originally Posted by Quickurt

Dear Kurt,

Life is full of risks, and we all take our chances. It has an auto output feature, so it won't overcharge. I figure the worst that can happen is that the maintainer will quit working, and it doesn't have enough output to boil off the acid. Unlike some, I regularly check the water level, so I don't worry about exposed plates happening. If I were independantly wealthy, I would buy the Battery Tender. But since I am still waiting to be stimulated, like the economy, I figure any maintainer is better than nothing at all.
I know that most of the stuff from Harbor "Fright" is of questionable quality, but some of it does work and if it does quit working, all I'm out is $5. I'm willing to take my chances. I have two more of them on Optima yellow top batteries for the sailboat, that have been on them for over two years. Still working with no problems. If I had to buy that many Battery Tenders, I wouldn't have anything at all and would put the batteries at risk from sitting around in a discharged state. If you got the money, by all means, get the best. But some of us have to settle for what we can afford.
I know what you are thinking, if I can afford a sailboat, why can't I afford to buy three battery maintainers. Well, a 51 year old, 26ft boat that we paid $750 for 11 years ago, is far from a yacht.
BTW, you spelled it wrong, it is "Smart A$$", and have a nice drive to Texas.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Hi Kurt, this is a copy from the "OEM Battery" thread, just in case you missed it.

Quote:

"What does it cost if it boils all the acid out, all over the inside of your frunk?
What kind of damage to your car/battery guarantee comes with it?
Reckon your plug modification voided any warranty it may have had?

Not tryin to be a smart-ass, just hope you learn from my stupidity! "

Originally Posted by Quickurt

Dear Kurt,

Life is full of risks, and we all take our chances. It has an auto output feature, so it won't overcharge. I figure the worst that can happen is that the maintainer will quit working, and it doesn't have enough output to boil off the acid. Unlike some, I regularly check the water level, so I don't worry about exposed plates happening. If I were independantly wealthy, I would buy the Battery Tender. But since I am still waiting to be stimulated, like the economy, I figure any maintainer is better than nothing at all.
I know that most of the stuff from Harbor "Fright" is of questionable quality, but some of it does work and if it does quit working, all I'm out is $5. I'm willing to take my chances. I have two more of them on Optima yellow top batteries for the sailboat, that have been on them for over two years. Still working with no problems. If I had to buy that many Battery Tenders, I wouldn't have anything at all and would put the batteries at risk from sitting around in a discharged state. If you got the money, by all means, get the best. But some of us have to settle for what we can afford.
I know what you are thinking, if I can afford a sailboat, why can't I afford to buy three battery maintainers. Well, a 51 year old, 26ft boat that we paid $750 for 11 years ago, is far from a yacht.
BTW, you spelled it wrong, it is "Smart A$$", and have a nice drive to Texas.
Well, I see you tried them on something else, first, and know they work.
I try to warn folks on dumb-A$$ things I've learned from in the past!
Some times saving money gets really expensive!!
BTW - The Texas trip was a hoot!! It's really going to suck, back driving the DD tomorrow!!