View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Spinnaker

Hi Kurt, this is a copy from the "OEM Battery" thread, just in case you missed it.

Quote:

"What does it cost if it boils all the acid out, all over the inside of your frunk?
What kind of damage to your car/battery guarantee comes with it?
Reckon your plug modification voided any warranty it may have had?

Not tryin to be a smart-ass, just hope you learn from my stupidity! "

Originally Posted by Quickurt

Dear Kurt,

Life is full of risks, and we all take our chances. It has an auto output feature, so it won't overcharge. I figure the worst that can happen is that the maintainer will quit working, and it doesn't have enough output to boil off the acid. Unlike some, I regularly check the water level, so I don't worry about exposed plates happening. If I were independantly wealthy, I would buy the Battery Tender. But since I am still waiting to be stimulated, like the economy, I figure any maintainer is better than nothing at all.
I know that most of the stuff from Harbor "Fright" is of questionable quality, but some of it does work and if it does quit working, all I'm out is $5. I'm willing to take my chances. I have two more of them on Optima yellow top batteries for the sailboat, that have been on them for over two years. Still working with no problems. If I had to buy that many Battery Tenders, I wouldn't have anything at all and would put the batteries at risk from sitting around in a discharged state. If you got the money, by all means, get the best. But some of us have to settle for what we can afford.
I know what you are thinking, if I can afford a sailboat, why can't I afford to buy three battery maintainers. Well, a 51 year old, 26ft boat that we paid $750 for 11 years ago, is far from a yacht.
BTW, you spelled it wrong, it is "Smart A$$", and have a nice drive to Texas.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote