View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Quickurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Hi Kurt, this is a copy from the "OEM Battery" thread, just in case you missed it.

Quote:

"What does it cost if it boils all the acid out, all over the inside of your frunk?
What kind of damage to your car/battery guarantee comes with it?
Reckon your plug modification voided any warranty it may have had?

Not tryin to be a smart-ass, just hope you learn from my stupidity! "

Originally Posted by Quickurt

Dear Kurt,

Life is full of risks, and we all take our chances. It has an auto output feature, so it won't overcharge. I figure the worst that can happen is that the maintainer will quit working, and it doesn't have enough output to boil off the acid. Unlike some, I regularly check the water level, so I don't worry about exposed plates happening. If I were independantly wealthy, I would buy the Battery Tender. But since I am still waiting to be stimulated, like the economy, I figure any maintainer is better than nothing at all.
I know that most of the stuff from Harbor "Fright" is of questionable quality, but some of it does work and if it does quit working, all I'm out is $5. I'm willing to take my chances. I have two more of them on Optima yellow top batteries for the sailboat, that have been on them for over two years. Still working with no problems. If I had to buy that many Battery Tenders, I wouldn't have anything at all and would put the batteries at risk from sitting around in a discharged state. If you got the money, by all means, get the best. But some of us have to settle for what we can afford.
I know what you are thinking, if I can afford a sailboat, why can't I afford to buy three battery maintainers. Well, a 51 year old, 26ft boat that we paid $750 for 11 years ago, is far from a yacht.
BTW, you spelled it wrong, it is "Smart A$$", and have a nice drive to Texas.
Well, I see you tried them on something else, first, and know they work.
I try to warn folks on dumb-A$$ things I've learned from in the past!
Some times saving money gets really expensive!!
BTW - The Texas trip was a hoot!! It's really going to suck, back driving the DD tomorrow!!