Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #1

Help please - boxster fire...

I just got towed home after my boxster caught fire...

Trying to work out the cause and also things I need to check while fixing it. I recently installed some top speed headers and muffler, but don't think they are to blame (maybe). I was driving down the road, the car all of a sudden had a bug cloud if smoke under it, I turned it off and rolled to the side of the road. I got out and saw flames near the left rear wheel. Ran over and laid down, the undertray was burning and possibly the headers too. Thankfully, a local got a hose for me and I was able to put the flame out.

Looking at the road, there was a line of fluid on the ground, but I couldn't tell what it was. Didn't seem like oil, maybe trans/power steering/coolant?

Tomorrow I plan on jacking it up onto stands and start taking things off. I think I'll take rear wheels, under tray and exhaust off and inspect. Probably the front inspection port too. Already looked at the motor from the top, all I could see from a quick shakey look was a burnt piece of loom to the left bank oxygen sensor.

I have not tried to start the car again since, but did leave the battery connected for the tow home. All seemed operational.

Any advice on where to start, what to inspect and what to do? Any advice or help appreciated.

Sam

sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #2

Garage
I know from the fluid it does not seem likely but you could check the air filter. The boxster has been known to catch fire from cigarettes getting sucked in. at least that is an easy check.

by the way I dont mean to make light of your situation but it is kind of ironic that your name is sparker.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 AM   #3

there is a power steering line that runs very close to where aftermarket headers tend to route. it's on the left side of the car near the rear wheel. my guess is that your header melted the PS line & you had pentosin leak onto the header & catch fire.

it's important to put a thermal sleeve on this line & tie it up & out of the way when you install aftermarket headers on this car, otherwise......fire hazard.

best of luck w/ the repair.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #4

This sounds quite likely (power steering fluid line). If it does turn out to be the issue, do you think it will just be a matter of replacing the line, refill power steering fluid (repair any other burn damage) and be good to go.

The more I think about it, the more I think it has to be power steering. The steering did give a tiny heavy spot just before it went... The fluid on the ground also felt like that. Would also explain why it went as I turned a corner (High pressure into melted line)

Ok the cause is starting to become clear - now the repair, any suggestion?!
Sam
Old 01-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #5

that line goes from the pump down to a fitting underneath the car. since you were quick to turn the car off & the fire sounds like it went out, you may not be too bad off....

you'll need to replace the line & check for damage to your wiring harness. specifically, check the wires that go to the ignition coils. also check your brake booster line just to be sure. maybe post some photos when you get it up in the air.

i may have an extra PS line; i will check when i get home. if you need wiring harness segments, i have those as well.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #6

Insite, you are a champion! I will get some pictures up about the same time tomorrow. I think I may have gotten away with this one, ps line and some wiring is nothing. The locals showed me pictures of another boxster that burnt to the ground on the same road only two days earlier. I'll post them once they are emailed to me as well. They are scary....

Sam
Old 01-27-2011, 04:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker
Insite, you are a champion! I will get some pictures up about the same time tomorrow. I think I may have gotten away with this one, ps line and some wiring is nothing. The locals showed me pictures of another boxster that burnt to the ground on the same road only two days earlier. I'll post them once they are emailed to me as well. They are scary....

Sam
WOW, two Boxsters caught fire on the same road over a two day span! What are the odds of that? Generally, I'm not the superstitious type, but I'd avoid that road altogether...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #8

It's unlucky to be superstitious.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Vendor

Sam,

My apologies to hear your unfortunate issues, please have a Certified Mechanic to double check the caused of fire. (P/S fluids spilled out from mid section of P/S line or end of P/S line connections ?)

We been selling these Headers & Exhaust systems for Boxster since 2004 never had any issues as long the P/S Line are cleared away from Headers, just make sure the Installation were done properly.

We will stand behind our products, just keep us post with results.

Thank you for everyones support.

Che
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001535057084

Last edited by delubozparts; 01-27-2011 at 02:01 PM.
delubozparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #10

Hi Che,

I am certainly not blaming your product, it would have been more my over sight in not ensuring the P/S line was secure and far enough away from the headers. It may well be worth making this print bold and large in your instructions for future customers though (as long as they read the instructions!!!)

Thanks guys,
Sam
Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #11

Images of damage. Certainly was a power steering line that touched the headers, wasnt touching when I installed them, so must have moved after installing (two weeks ago). Has burnt some undertray, a little bit of wiring and ofcourse, the power steering line.

Insite - if you still had that spare power steering line, I would be very grateful! As for the loom, I think I'll be ok to patch this, but if you have a bit spare - that would be great too. Let me know what I owe you.

Sam
Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #12

Sorry to hear about your fire! This happened to me too and I have since just gone back to stock other than a 'S' muffler. When the indy shop I frequented fixed it they were unable to get just a hose and had to replace the entire unit. Porsche had made a few updates from my version so I was fine with having new PS pump and lines.

Chris
Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #13

I'm hoping to find a good condition used hose as a complete new setup is not in the budget right now. Otherwise I'll have a custom hose made.

If anyone can assist, let me know! I'll be covering the new hose in fire proof sleeve, wrapping the headers with exhaust wrap and strongly securing all lines away from the exhaust

Sam
Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 AM   #14

Quote:
I'm hoping to find a good condition used hose as a complete new setup is not in the budget right now. Otherwise I'll have a custom hose made.

If anyone can assist, let me know! I'll be covering the new hose in fire proof sleeve, wrapping the headers with exhaust wrap and strongly securing all lines away from the exhaust

Sam
I strongly suggest you to add exhaust wrap to you headers and downpipe. I'm working with automotive OEMs on under hood heat management and not surprised on seeing stuffs melting. The cheapest way to solve you issue is by putting a zero clearance exhaust wrap. They come in a roll and you just have to wrap them (shiny type). The non shiny type will reduce you exhaust skin temperature that other components are exposed to but not radiation coefficient (still reduces number of heat transfer through radiation). Most of the time, these stuffs are caused by radiation (not any conduction/convection). Those exhaust header skin temperature can easily goes up to 700C when driven hard. It is not necessary to wrap other components around you exhaust if you already wrap the exhaust pipe enough. If you are familiar with Radtherm software, you can calculate on how much wrapping you need (minimum amount) to make it work. Their philosophy is "cheap is good".

The best way to solve the issue is to custom made the exhaust shield with 3 layer material (normally aluminum - fiber glass - aluminum sandwich). But making and mounting that shield is not easy/cheap.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #15

Same thing happened to me with a set of headers I had a few years back. Cost me 900 from the dealer to fix. Nothing else was harmed in my case. Good luck.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #16
Vendor

Quote:
Hi Che,

I am certainly not blaming your product, it would have been more my over sight in not ensuring the P/S line was secure and far enough away from the headers. It may well be worth making this print bold and large in your instructions for future customers though (as long as they read the instructions!!!)

Thanks guys,
Sam
Hi Sam,

I've just posted a Public update under my Postings:

http://986forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=237764&postcount=284

Will including BOLD print for future instructions.

If anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Will do my best to accommodate.

Thank you for Understanding !

Che
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001535057084
delubozparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #17

Thanks all. Basically all I need now is a spare power steering line and I'll be back on the road.

Sam
Old 01-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #18

Sam - bad luck with the fire, at least you caught it in time before they found you burnt to a crisp......

In regards to wrapping the headers, its a hell of a job because of the space, or lack of it...
I have found on my motorcycles and MX-5 (Miata to you Yankees ) that ceramic coating the headers internally and externally reduces heat by nearly 30% and is a permanant fix. There are quite a few companies in Australia that do it and I can recommend the heat reduction is significant and (according to the blurb) a slight power increase too.
You'll still have to tie your PS line out of the way though - the cooler the Pentosin fluid runs, the better for your PS pump.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #19

Could you PM me who you have used and the approximate charge? Will look into it. Have wrapped some very tight headers before though!!!

Sam
Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #20

more updated pictures:

contact made with header:

this is the connector half way down the floor, I assume this just un bolts?

Quick question, do I have to replace the line from the pump to here? Or can I possibly get it repaired by a local hose trade shop?

Also - any tips on how to get the hose off at the pump end????

Sam

Last edited by sparker; 01-29-2011 at 02:16 PM.