View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 AM   #14
laphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker
I'm hoping to find a good condition used hose as a complete new setup is not in the budget right now. Otherwise I'll have a custom hose made.

If anyone can assist, let me know! I'll be covering the new hose in fire proof sleeve, wrapping the headers with exhaust wrap and strongly securing all lines away from the exhaust

Sam
I strongly suggest you to add exhaust wrap to you headers and downpipe. I'm working with automotive OEMs on under hood heat management and not surprised on seeing stuffs melting. The cheapest way to solve you issue is by putting a zero clearance exhaust wrap. They come in a roll and you just have to wrap them (shiny type). The non shiny type will reduce you exhaust skin temperature that other components are exposed to but not radiation coefficient (still reduces number of heat transfer through radiation). Most of the time, these stuffs are caused by radiation (not any conduction/convection). Those exhaust header skin temperature can easily goes up to 700C when driven hard. It is not necessary to wrap other components around you exhaust if you already wrap the exhaust pipe enough. If you are familiar with Radtherm software, you can calculate on how much wrapping you need (minimum amount) to make it work. Their philosophy is "cheap is good".

The best way to solve the issue is to custom made the exhaust shield with 3 layer material (normally aluminum - fiber glass - aluminum sandwich). But making and mounting that shield is not easy/cheap.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote