View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
sparker

Help please - boxster fire...

I just got towed home after my boxster caught fire...

Trying to work out the cause and also things I need to check while fixing it. I recently installed some top speed headers and muffler, but don't think they are to blame (maybe). I was driving down the road, the car all of a sudden had a bug cloud if smoke under it, I turned it off and rolled to the side of the road. I got out and saw flames near the left rear wheel. Ran over and laid down, the undertray was burning and possibly the headers too. Thankfully, a local got a hose for me and I was able to put the flame out.

Looking at the road, there was a line of fluid on the ground, but I couldn't tell what it was. Didn't seem like oil, maybe trans/power steering/coolant?

Tomorrow I plan on jacking it up onto stands and start taking things off. I think I'll take rear wheels, under tray and exhaust off and inspect. Probably the front inspection port too. Already looked at the motor from the top, all I could see from a quick shakey look was a burnt piece of loom to the left bank oxygen sensor.

I have not tried to start the car again since, but did leave the battery connected for the tow home. All seemed operational.

Any advice on where to start, what to inspect and what to do? Any advice or help appreciated.

Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote