Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Richard, if your going to delete and edit posts, I suggest you remove the irresponsible post that suggests using 87 is acceptable and safe.

FYI, your buddy MNBoxster, aka Jim, aka Andy, aka Lil Bastard, aka Red Line employee, continues to make friends on other Porsche web sites for enthusiasts, and has received bans there too. Just like you did (banned 'em).

We need to give Forum members better advice. You have this responsibility as an co-owner.

Thanks for the lecture and for straying off point.

I will simply remind you again to be polite. If you disagree with the advice, you can certainly say so. It is HOW you say so that matters at this point.

Make your point and then, move on.

Agreed?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Nice save! That's good to know.

No save here,Flavor 987s I am not (jcb 986), I am jbs 986, there are some cars that you can run 87 Oct., Are Boxsters use a higher Oct, because are motors are high compression motors, lower Oct, will cause "Engine knock" not a good thing for any Engine. let alone the M96.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I figure if you're in a pinch or in some backwater place where they don't have the octane you need, I imagine the car will run on 87, but first chance you get to throw the proper octane in, it should be done.

The way I see it, and read it in some cars' owner's manuals, most modern cars that are meant to run on a higher octane can run on something lower, though it is not recommended for regular use because over time that will cause damage. So again, in a pinch, you do what you have to do rather than be marooned in the middle of nowhere, and simply fill your tank with something higher when you can.

While not verbatim, I'm pretty sure our manuals say something along the lines of "use premium fuel, or the highest octane fuel available to you". Around my neck of the woods that is 93, though some places will only have 91, and there's not many, if any, stations left around here that aren't using ethanol additives, so I have to bite the bullet on that one. But I'm using the highest octane available to me, 93. If I end up on fumes in some random place like Yellville, Ark., and they only have up to 89...well, that'll have to do until I can get to a station with something proper.

Take a Jeep Liberty, for example. The manual essentially says the car can be run regularly on 87 without any issues, but if you're going to be doing any towing, that will require optimum performance from the engine, so they recommend using 89 for that. By the same token, you could also fill up on 89 regularly and be just as well.

If someone's looking to cut their fuel costs and seeing if they can live on commuting or joyriding on 87, well they picked the wrong car for that...if it could've been run on 87 regularly they would've built it around being able to do that. A Corolla the Boxster is not, so you have to give a premium car premium fuel.

No offense meant to anyone who happens to be from or near/around Yellville, just picked a random place.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #24

So to stir the pot a bit more, which would be better?

91 octane
or
93 octane with 10% ethanol

We only had 91 around here but saw the 93 blend recently.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #25

Garage
Trying to save a couple of bucks by filling up with lower octane doesn't work for high(er) performance cars. The ECU will just adapt the mixture so that the engine power stays the same. Lower octane will lead to lower mileage. We've been driving Saabs for many years and decided that the highest octane will cost the same in the long run and results in a smoother engine.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #26

I'm new to Posches but my other vehicles built within the past 15 years all have knock sensors that detect motor knock and adjust the ignition timing as needed to prevent it. Can anybody confirm whether or not Porsches have knock sensors? Does the 2000 S model like the one I bought a month ago have them?

I doubt I would use regular gas anyway but it would be nice to know whether the engine can actually be damaged on low octane fuel. I've used regular in my Corvette and couldn't hear any knock or feel any power loss but I decided high test would only cost me about $100 a year and there was no point to the cheaper gas.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster

91 octane
or

You will get better MPG's with the 91 octane (no ethanol) vs the 93 (with 10% ethanol). Did this experiment last year. 93 is probably still the best bet. 93 pure gas (no ethanol) is ideal. It is very easy to find in places like Wisconsin, maybe due to all of the RV's and boaters.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #28

Garage
Dale K, look in your trunk (back one) and you should have a sticker in the middle that says your car has knock sensors etc. I have a 2000 S and it does.

The most we can get is 91. Which really surprises me with all the farm equipment etc. Actually that's just given me a thought. I'm going to check the non-tax co-ops. I'll bet they have higher octane. For those out there that must have the torpedo-juice stuff, why don't you consider your local airport?? I know ours will probably sell the av-gas. So just fill'er up with the blue stuff! (disclaimer: I'm sure this isn't a good idea)

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #29

How about a bottle of octane booster add to the tank? Any suggestions?
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #30
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K
I'm new to Posches but my other vehicles built within the past 15 years all have knock sensors that detect motor knock and adjust the ignition timing as needed to prevent it. Can anybody confirm whether or not Porsches have knock sensors? Does the 2000 S model like the one I bought a month ago have them?
Yes the Boxster does have knock sensors and by design your smart ECU will retard the timing to prevent detonation and engine damage. It is a band-aid that should not be relied upon every day but it is there to prevent damage in the event that you put 87 gas in. Performance and mileage will also suffer with retarded timing due to the knock sensor so you won't save any money running cheap gas.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #31

When I had FVD build my ECU mapping I made sure to tell them all of my mods and that run 93 octane exclusively. I assume they tweeked it a little to take advantage of that.

There is one gas station near me that sell 100% gas. I try to go by there when I can. It is a little more expense but if you do the math…

Ethanol has about 75% the caloric value as gas… At most stations, 10% of the gas is Ethanol… that is 97.5% the “power” of 100% gas.

A 280 Hp Boxster S will see a 7 Hp gain running 100% gas over a 10% Ethanol mix. Is that worth an extra $0.10 a gallon or $1.50 a tank? Less than $0.40 / Hp gain. Show me a better deal out there.

Last edited by tamarsha; 01-28-2011 at 10:56 AM.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #32

I have heard that the ethanol mix is much harder on fuel system components.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
I have heard that the ethanol mix is much harder on fuel system components.
That's an old wife's tale from the problems in the 70's when ethanol first appeared. With 30 yrs of development under their belts, automakers wouldn't put components on their cars that can't handle ethanol.

Kind of like graphite shafts in your golf clubs. People still say they may be inconsistant. Was true when they first came out 25 yrs ago but there's too much technology out there now for that to be true today.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #34

I would beg to differ. On brand new cars, ethanol is likely safe and may keep your fuel system cleaner than other mixes.

That said, older cars can have issues. I lost a fuel injector recently (had just moved to Iowa and started using ethanol blend). I found out that the Lexus techs will NOT use ethanol in any older car. Seems like they are tired of replacing fuel systems components on older Lexus cars and don't want that to happen to their own.

Word to the wise.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #35

Local Sunoco station just added 104 octane race fuel to its lineup. There are apparently enough racing boats in this area that use it to justify adding the pump. Its over $6 a gallon. I've only seen 2 people buying it -- both with newer Ford Mustangs. Go figure.

I'll pass. Everything I've read says that Porsche sets the cars for performance at standard octane ratings. Good enough for me.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster

91 octane
or

I did this experiment with my previous car (toyota solara). The car recommends 91 octane (but can take 87 with some engine output reduction/increase fuel consumption per owners manual). I put 91 un-oxygenated fuel when I was in Minnesota and I put 93 with ethanol when I moved to MI. No noticeable power difference, but 91 with no ethanol returns at least 2-3 MPG better on highway.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by d18mike
Local Sunoco station just added 104 octane race fuel to its lineup. There are apparently enough racing boats in this area that use it to justify adding the pump. Its over $6 a gallon. I've only seen 2 people buying it -- both with newer Ford Mustangs. Go figure.

I'll pass. Everything I've read says that Porsche sets the cars for performance at standard octane ratings. Good enough for me.
I was wondering if higher octane would work or not.. I've run turbo blue 104 in my harley before and it makes a difference plus it gives off that amazing smell. Love the stuff but its hard shelling out over $7 a gallon.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #38

The stock DME settings on the Boxster are calibrated for the engine to run on pretty low Octane fuel -- obviously the car is base tuned to a somewhat low common denominator so if you get caught in a place with 87, you do no damage.

I think if you flash tuned the DME with Softronics or another product you could probably tell at least a little difference with a higher octane. I know that one of the side effects of Flash tuning is that you need to runner "higher" octane fuels thereafter as the tuning impacts detonation/timing. I doubt "higher" means 104 -- but probably 91+.

I think high octane fuel is to men a little bit like what anti-wrinkle cream for women: expensive hope in a bottle!

Last edited by d18mike; 01-30-2011 at 12:39 PM.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #39
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d18mike
I think high octane fuel is to men a little bit like what anti-wrinkle cream for women: expensive hope in a bottle!
Quote of the day. Thanks for the laugh, mike.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #40

I have to use premium because the Autothority chip I am running requires it,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote