Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #61
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
Not sure if this is the correct size or not, but it looks like it would work. You need to be sure to get a slotted one, so you can slip it over the cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Mountain-Lever-Adjusting-Barrel/dp/B000O5SR4W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0B8CMN1NZESGVW7VVS13
Success using this piece on my 03 Boxster, but I could have used a bit more thread length. This part gave me just enough window movement for the window to clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
Not too bad. I followed these instructions:

Boxster Projects | Power Window Motor Repair
Following this guide I did not know what he was talking about when he says removed the C-shaped piece of plastic. This piece is what he is talking about.

Last edited by KRAM36; 02-17-2015 at 02:59 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #62
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Funny this thread came back up.

Last week the pass. regulator crunched out, seems my "temporary" (read: lazy) fix came undone and the cable got twisted and came off of the pulleys. Just replaced the regulator with a nice used example I bought from Woody, and all is well again.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:11 AM   #63

I just tried this but I think I ended putting too much pressure on the line. It makes a cracking sound going up. Does anyone have a close up on how the line is suppose to fit back into the roller behind the speaker?
GatorLapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #64

Question for Dave and Chuck Re: window regulator fix

Facing the exact same issue. Both failed within one week of each other. Dave, since you had to drill to get the adjuster in place, I assume you had to disconnect the cable and move it out of the way. That would also allow you to remove the tip from the cable housing. Can you share how that is done?

Chuck, since it looks as if you did not have to drill, can you tell me how you got the adjuster in place? Was there enough slack in the cable to get it in place?

Thank for these tips. My mechanic wanted 1,200 to install two new OEM regulators!!!
cole9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #65
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I can't answer your question, but here's an eBay listing from a forum member:

Porsche 996 99 05 986 Boxster 97 04 Right Passenger Side Window Regulator | eBay

Woody probably has some too:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters.html

Quote:
Thank for these tips. My mechanic wanted 1,200 to install two new OEM regulators!!!
Swapping out the regulator isn't much harder than just doing the fix. I guess if the mechanic was buying a couple OEM regulators with full mark-up.... Did he offer to give it a fresh lube before putting it in?
Old 03-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #66

Cole9900, I sell the window regulator/motor as one for $50. I'll gladly walk you through it if you come here. You wouldn't be the first person I've helped replace their regulator using my tools. It's real easy.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #67

Woody

You are a stand up guy
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
You are a stand up guy
Why thanks and you too Helping each other out is what we do here right?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #69

Old thread, but just wanted to say thanks...

Just implemented this fix and it completely resolved my 'front of the window isn't dropping quite enough when I pull the handle' problem on my 996 Turbo.

pfbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:08 AM   #70

Garage
This is obviously an old thread as previously stated but I wanted to say that the zip-tie fix worked for my passenger side window (2000 S); it would lower as normal but would not "close" when I shut the door.

$3.89 in zip-ties and an afternoon for a newbie (me) made it worth it.

Thank you, Dave S., for the effort and sharing.
Rush64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #71

ims bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon View Post
... stretch.
There's a plastic guide inside the regulator that breaks (with age) and lets the cable have a bit of slack.
That's why people tend to think that the cable has stretched.
I love your inventiveness.
I had done something similar with a ferrule cut to size, but it was not adjustable and it moved a bit.
Thanks for sharing your solution.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Hello Pedro - this is out of topic but just have a question and need your input.
I leaving the country for 3 months, I thinking to drain some oil maybe 2 quarts from my boxster so the IMS bearing was not submerged in oil, then When I get it back will add the the oil again. Maybe you have some input. Is it bad for engine to be low on oil when not driving/using it anyway. Just to save the IMS bearing of engine oil/acid that might/will penetrate in there. thank you for your input.
cesarpeji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #72

Regulator fix

Yes, the ties work amazingly. Mine was the one in front of door bottom. Works fine again. I give ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ For this .05 cent repair.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #73

I'm missing something here. 10 How did you determine which green plastic bushing to work on? does it matter? the one in the photo looks just like mine....not broken or damaged but the bottom one is accessible, the top not. 2( how did you get down to the bare wire cable? the cable has a thick plastic and metal housing it slides through. It seems that the cable is wrapped around a pulley that is covered on the outside and I don't see how to get to the bare cable to get the split clamp on it. Will the clamp simply thread itself into the green plastic bushing? What does the plastic tie do? I need some help please

Last edited by rockstar68; 11-02-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: left out words
rockstar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:20 AM   #74
Thom

Garage
I hear you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar68 View Post
I'm missing something here. 10 How did you determine which green plastic bushing to work on? does it matter? the one in the photo looks just like mine....not broken or damaged but the bottom one is accessible, the top not. 2( how did you get down to the bare wire cable? the cable has a thick plastic and metal housing it slides through. It seems that the cable is wrapped around a pulley that is covered on the outside and I don't see how to get to the bare cable to get the split clamp on it. Will the clamp simply thread itself into the green plastic bushing? What does the plastic tie do? I need some help please

I have read the entire thread and I think I follow the instructions, but there seem to be some pictures missing from the 2010 posts. I know it is over 8 years but this thread seems to be worth piles of gold. I've got to dig into my issues which appear to be the same as everyone else's so before I go and buy new switches & regulators for almost $300 I'll be happy to try some zip ties and cable turnbuckles. If anyone can put together a step by step that would be awesome.
cheers.
Thom
Calmg0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #75

Did the window regulator fix to my drivers side (left) door today. Front cable had a lot of slack. All green inserts ok, all cables are on their pulleys as far as I could tell. I carefully cut the green cable insert/holder off of the slack cable with a dremel. Should have left it on and added the bicycle adjuster behind it. Barely had enough adjustment to take out all the slack and leave enough of the adjuster to fit into the pulley assembly.

Works like a champ! Thanks Dave S!

The original green fitting pulled all the way out of the pulley fitting. That’s a lot of slack.

The green fitting after I Dremeled it off.

Done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-07-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote