Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #1

Microswitch or regulator

My drivers window doesn't drop enough to open the door without scraping on the top. How do I tell if the problem is the microswitch on the handle or the regulator. The window does not move if I try to push it down.
SGM Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
It would help to know what year and how many miles on your vehicle. Try reinitializing the travel limits on your window. Run the window all the way up and hold the button for five seconds, then all the way down and hold for five seconds. My hunch is the regulator cable is stretched and needs to be replaced. IMO use OEM regulators.

Pelican Parts has great DIY articles available; https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/77-BODY-Window_Regulator/77-BODY-Window_Regulator.htm
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I don't welcome the opportunity to have to perform any door repairs.

Last week wife told me the passenger window rear in the 2012 Edge Sport fell. Sure enough...

Granted it's a few miles away from turning 185K.

I removed the plastic door panel to reveal a huge plate bolted on the door... like 9 bolts. Removed them... one was stripped but I manhandled it off (never to be used again). I was held up by what appeared to be a POrsche design (a bolt on one side of the door when the other side would have been more efficient). I tried... but gave up.

I subscribe to the practice of trying to fix it first myself then... if no go... take it in.

Called my glass guy... so I picked up today a window regulator... and will take it to him to remove the old one.. install the new one... button her up... outta there. $125.

Kudos to those guys who are facking with wires... cables...and tolerances.

On another note... wired up and installed the engtine compartment fan manual switch this morning. So... both radiator fans and the engine fan: Done.

Now to find something else to do...
Old 09-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM Rick View Post
My drivers window doesn't drop enough to open the door without scraping on the top. How do I tell if the problem is the microswitch on the handle or the regulator. The window does not move if I try to push it down.
!997 Boxster with 101,600 miles. Window drops when I put top down but not when I open door. There is no play in the window if I push it or pull it. That's why I think it could be the microswitch.
SGM Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM Rick View Post
!997 Boxster with 101,600 miles. Window drops when I put top down but not when I open door. There is no play in the window if I push it or pull it. That's why I think it could be the microswitch.
there are three microswitchs, one for interior handle, one for the outer handle and the door latch assembly.
the drop of the windows when lowering the top is not related to the 1/2 inch drop when opening and closing the door.
if it is dropping at all, or not enough, all indications are the window regulator, otherwise, the likely culprit is the doorlatch MS, unless one or the other door handles work.
Most reliable fix is to replace the door latch assembly. Dealer (ouch), pelican (also ouch) ebay around 100 bucks or look for someone on the forum that rebuilds them for you.
NOTE: you need a triplesquare socket to remove and inspect the doorlatch.

Last edited by tonythetiger; 09-20-2020 at 11:57 AM.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote