Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #21

Both product lines continue to exist, name modification not withstanding. One of the major differences between the old Syntec (now Edge with Syntec technology) and the Edge (now with titanium technology) is the weight grades offered and type of ACEA ratings the different lines offer. The Edge with Syntec offers ACEA A3, B3, B4 ratings in weights suitable for Porsche applications; the Edge with titanium does not offer either.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #22

I have no idea what I bought the other day then. I haven't put it in, but I'm pretty sure I bought some of this "edge" stuff the other day @ $31.99 for 5qts and get a free filter from Advance Auto. I bought it in 10W40 for sure. It said Full Synthetic and even said "formally Syntec" It comes in a black container. I guess I'll have to look at it a little closer, but I was assuming I would be ok to use it.... Think I shouldn't?

Of course they didn't have the filter I needed so I just had to get them for my other vehicles.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
We run 10W-40 year round in most of our customer's cars out here, and we see temps a lot lower than you ever would............. You'll be fine.
JFP, Would running 10W-40 instead of 5W-40 help an (occasional & low) lifter noise?

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D
I have no idea what I bought the other day then. I haven't put it in, but I'm pretty sure I bought some of this "edge" stuff the other day @ $31.99 for 5qts and get a free filter from Advance Auto. I bought it in 10W40 for sure. It said Full Synthetic and even said "formally Syntec" It comes in a black container. I guess I'll have to look at it a little closer, but I was assuming I would be ok to use it.... Think I shouldn't?

Of course they didn't have the filter I needed so I just had to get them for my other vehicles.

You're fine............
Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles
JFP, Would running 10W-40 instead of 5W-40 help an (occasional & low) lifter noise?

Typically, yes. Many of the noises attributed to lifters in the M96/97 are actually related to the chain tensioners, which often bleed down on lighter weight oils.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #26

Quote:
You're fine............
Thank you sir, gonna change it tomorrow then.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #27

Jake, I'm running the same as you (the black "Edge" container) that is 10w40. My lifters are still noisy as hell. I have never heard another boxster with the engine cover off, so I have nothing to compare it to, but they are definitely "noticeable"... I thought 10w40 would fix that, but there was no change...
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #28

Due to the restrictive sized oil passages on the OEM lifters/cam followers, it is easy for them to become problematic due to crud or varnish build up. Once that becomes severe, only changing them will quiet the engine...............
Old 05-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #29

are there any additives or something that I could try that target the lifters?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #30

I am not aware of any. I think the biggest issue is that the blocked passages are like a clogged drain, you need to get a cleaner into them, but that does not happen easily because of the blockage; and which is why people end up replacing them.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #31

Sounds expensive

Mine could be perfectly normal, I just had the engine cover off the other day while doing some routine stuff and thought to myself "what's that little ticking sound?".. so they were noticeable.

guess i need to get more boxster buddies so i can hear their's!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #32

Just be sure you are not hearing the injectors ticking.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #33

Quote:
No, Edge is a new product, is not available in 5W or 10W-40 weights, and does not hold the ACEA A3, B3, B4 ratings.

looks like that's changed...

"New Name, Better Formula - Formerly Castrol Syntec"
Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
looks like that's changed...

"New Name, Better Formula - Formerly Castrol Syntec"
That is "Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology", a replacement for the old Syntec, which holds ACEA A3,B3,B4. "Edge", which is not available in 10W-40, does not hold those ACEA ratings, it holds different ones (A1, B1, B5). The replacement Syntec is basically the old product with a different additive package, which limited UOA's say is doing pretty good.

Now if they would only make the "Edge Professional" available in North America......
Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #35

Quote:
That is "Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology", a replacement for the old Syntec, which holds ACEA A3,B3,B4. "Edge", which is not available in 10W-40, does not hold those ACEA ratings, it holds different ones (A1, B1, B5). The replacement Syntec is basically the old product with a different additive package, which limited UOA's say is doing pretty good

so there's a "Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology" and a regular "Castrol Edge" that's different... what marketing putz came up with that.

regular 'ol Castrol Syntec is getting hard to find around here - it used to be everywhere. now the regular places I go have limited supplies of it.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #36

The original Syntec will totally disappear, the replacement product is all you will eventually find when the old stocks are gone. Fortunately, the new "Edge with Syntec Technology" is at least starting to look like a worthy replacement, but only time, and UOA's, will tell................
Old 08-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #37

If one were to come across some of the Syntec would it be wise to buy it in anticipation of it's unavailability? Does synthetic motor oil have a shelf life?
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #38

Most synthetics have a shelf life of about 2-3 years, with the limiting factor being the separation of the additive package from the base stocks during long term storage. So before buying it, I'd also check the date of manufacture.

As the UOA’s on the new product have looked pretty good as well (limited number of samples), I wouldn’t be overly concerned about stocking up.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:17 AM   #39

Thanks JFP.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #40
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Wonder how long it will take for Porsche to add the new blend to their "Approved" list?

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote