Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #1

WTF - air intake pipes blown off inlet manifold

preamble.....

took the boxster (2000 3.2s 67k miles) out on an errand tonight - about 5 mile round trip - because the DD bmw was dripping its oil into a canister awaiting my completing its oil change.

left the boxster in the driveway so i was certain not to knock it with any flailing tools working on the bmw.

finished the bmw oil change, cleared up and went to start the boxster and reverse it in next to the bmw.

problem.....

as soon as the boxster fired up there was an almighty bang followed by very rough running accompanied by lots of "popping" / backfiring!!

to cut a long story short, after worrying under the car all over the muffler / exhaust getting nowhere i opened the top into service mode to try and get a view from the top.

i saw that the rubber pipe connecting the two inlet manifolds together had more or less become disconnected from the LHS manifold.

additionally, the pipe connecting the throttle body to the manifold was well on its way to being off too.

now, i'm sure reconnecting these will be a pretty straightforward task, but does anyone have any idea what caused this and if there's any likelihood of it happening again (on the assumption that reconnecting them returns everything to normal!!).

also, i have a very simple OBDII reader (U480) and it is not showing any codes. i would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to safely generate a code that i can read and reset to confirm i my reader is actually working correctly (or that i am operating it correctly)

photos attached....

many many thanks in advance!!!

paul

pauljsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #2

Most likely a combination of things like failed or loose worm clamps along with some increased intake pressure on deceleration, or some petrol fumes from the AOS (when was the last oil change?) that ignited when you started it up.

Those aren't the best clamps in the world, if it bothers you that much, or if it happens again, I'd visit a race shop and get some better SS clamps.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Whoa! That's a new one!
Old 07-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
....or some petrol fumes from the AOS (when was the last oil change?) that ignited when you started it up.
lb - thanks for the fast reply. good point on the oil change!! i have no history with this car, but in general it looks reasonably well maintained.

i have nearly £200UKP worth of mobil 1 in my garage waiting to go into the boxster and bmw.

unfortunately, the bmw is in a worse situation (no history but not looking so well maintained), so i have put some less prestigious oil & filter into it as a flush treatment and after a few hundred miles i will spend a saturday doing mobil 1 and genuine filters on both the porsche and the bmw.

i'll get the measurements off those clips once they're off, refit the old ones and look for SS to retrofit at the oil change!!

thanks agin
paul
Old 07-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #5

Old fashioned backfire through the intake?

Have you put it back together and started it again?

Stuck in take valve?

Timing problem?

IMHO -- Be very careful with it...

Ed
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboxin
Old fashioned backfire through the intake?
hope so!!!!!!

Quote:
Have you put it back together and started it again?

Stuck in take valve?

Timing problem?
not put it back together yet - tomorrow night. still getting over my nosebleed at finding the problem!!

i did run it a bit though and the popping, etc continues. i did think that the popping was related to unburnt fuel because of an extremely over-rich mixture.

Quote:
IMHO -- Be very careful with it...

Ed
i won't turn the engine again until it's built back up - then i'll be very cautious...

thanks again
paul
Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 AM   #7

i think you won't have to much trouble to put that in.. be patient take your time good luck
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #8

thanks to all the respondents!!!

put it back together again tonight and it started fine... i didn't run it long

looks like the clips worked loose? i have had some hot rough idle and starting problems - maybe related?

however, you know what it's like when you've gone to the trouble of getting in there.

i've removed the throttle body and taken it into the house to to clean off the butterfly carbon build up.

needless to say i've been using steel wool to clean up the aluminium, etc.

i've removed and i'll clean up / degrease the inlet hose between the air filter and the throttle body while i'm at it.

now that i have peace of mind that reconnecting the hoses returns things to normal, i'll remove the hoses, give them a good clean and renew the clips with stainless - only worry is the little capillary pipe on the hose between the manifolds.

google her i come!

thanks again everyone
paul
Old 04-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #9

porsche help!!!!

I have a porsche boxter 99 and when I start it the car accelaretes and then it doesnt like the engine is not working properly its very hard to explain. its like the engine drowns I had white smoke coming out of the exhoust pipe and I changed the oil separator filter and It is still doing it I heard it could be the air intake pipe that has oil can you help pls.

keniof is offline   Reply With Quote