Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #1

radiator part number help

I've got an 02 S and my passenger side radiator needs to be replaced thanks to an unintended parking lot exit nose dive. It cracked around the inside mounting stud.

I found one in a salvage yard, but they are not sure if it's the driver or passenger side. The only part numbers printed on it are from Behr (21 407 10 003). I called my local dealer and they can't cross the numbers over.

Can anyone help me? I don't want to buy the part only to find out that it's the wrong side. Any help would be much appreciated.

blackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #2

No quick answer. They would have to look for the 996 part number. Also what is the model year of the donor.

When the Boxster started out the same radiator was used for left and right. It was made with 2 lower fittings. You would cap off 1 of the 2 fittings depending on if it was being used on the left or right. So a single radiator would work on the left or right side.

Then Porsche came out with side specific radiators. Porsche does not say when this change was made, but the Bulletin Porsche issued is dated July 21.2000. Your 2002 will have the side specific type. The right or passenger side is 996 106 132 51. Left is 996 106 131 51.

The radiator that fit either side was 996 106 131 50.

The yard needs to find the 996 part number to determine what they have.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:09 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Dude just order a new one,they can't be much more then the center radiator I bought from Sunset for $140.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:36 AM   #4

I may have to buy a new one, but why not look for a deal on a used one first. The guys at my local dealership quoted me a price of $322 and they're around $252 from Pelican Parts. I'll call Sunset tomorow. I was trying to buy one used for about $125.

If I don't find one soon, new is the way I'll go. Thanks for the help guys.
blackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #5

I bought one from Pelican. I had the same problem that you did but on the left side. Did your air scoop get smashed. Mine did. Buy new......it's too much work to do to take a chance on a used part. I'm suprised that the Pelican site does not describe right from left. You'll have to talk to them to be sure....and $30 difference between R & L!!! I can't imagine why. I think the site was descriptive when I bought mine.

Good luck,
Bob
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #6

check for behr radiator part number. what type of your car year and model.?

kidashley25 is offline   Reply With Quote