Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #1

2002 3.2s Vs 2003 2.7 facelift ???

Ok,

I've done all of the reading scared myself to death reading about Boxster engine failures & waitied nearly 6 years off & on to make my purchase but i've finally decided that I still want a boxster.

I've viewed quite a few over the years but have got 2 to view tomorrow.

1st one is a 2002 3.2 s in black with black leather & 67,000 miles, air con some aluminium trim white dials etc & the rear screen has been replaced. it has a good service history & i think I'll be able to get it for £10,000 as it's a private sale (so no warranty). To be happy with it I'll need to change all of the lights at a cost of around £570 to bring them up to spec & I know I'll end up putting a GT3 front end on the thing along with some rims & I'll be happy total cost with paint around £12,800 but I'll be able to keep it for at least 2 years with that milage & sell it before it hits 100,000 miles.

The other is a 2003 2.7 facelift model in black with black leather £11,900 it comes from a second hand car dealer with a 3 months parts & labour warranty. it also has more alumininium trim & looks very nice inside but it's done nearly 90,000 miles, all it will need is rims to look kinda special bringing the cost to £13,100 but i cant help thinking that the miles are high & that I'll have to sell it within a year.

My question is although both cars float my boat & I'll end up spending money on either of them so that I can achieve the look that i want should i favour one engine over the other bearing in mind th age & miles covered ?

Many thanks !

Callum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #2

My two cents, I would not buy a Porsche with 90K on it unless I was in love with it or it was of future collectible potential or it was a bargain; none apply here. Like me you don't know who owned the car, whether they could drive stick correctly and otherwise. For an expensive car they have dainty assed synchros and wrecking them can be done pretty easily if the PO was a maniac. Others may disagree with me here but I would almost expect either one to be due for a clutch job.

My advise would be, negotiate for a complete clutch job, either money off from the private sale or done by the shop with the warranty. While they are in there, I'd have them drop the new updated IMS in. If you are mechanically inclined, have the proper tools and space, you can effect many of the other more simple repairs yourself, saving thousands over the time you own it.

However, if you don't like to wrench, either one of these could get expensive very quickly. Another good plan is to have an inspection done by a mechanic familiar with Boxsters as a pre evaluation, best of luck.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 03-24-2010 at 10:53 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #3

I'd keep looking. I favor lower mileage cars.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #4

Being on a limited budget, I'd forego the "fancy bits" and get a newer/ lower mileage car.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #5

Well, here's my opinion or 2 pence worth. A car with 60K on the clock is a good buy. With a good owner, any major stuff may have already been taken care of. With a good maintenance history you can determine repairs versus regular maintenance weather the car is a lemon. A lot of repairs could point to car with a host of issues. I would go with the 02' with the 3.2, it's a rock solid engine. I hope it's a TIP. Here these guys talk about IMS failures and it is usually the one's with sticks. And there are a lot of Boxsters on the road that have never had or may never have a IMS problem. And, I bet, for every IMS problem there are a 1000 Boxster that will never experience this problem. Me, I go with the odds. The picture in my email is my pride & joy. You only live once, enjoy it. Let's all have pint.

I invite you to look here over. Me, I looked for a real long time. Bought her 1 year ago with 62K and I knew what I was going to replace and the cost before I made my purchase. One owner, well maintained, exceptionally clean and it's all original.
http://s768.photobucket.com/albums/xx325/OldHippieYoungHeart/Boxster%20S/

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest

Last edited by jcb986; 03-25-2010 at 03:52 PM.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
Being on a limited budget, I'd forego the "fancy bits" and get a newer/ lower mileage car.
I agree, I bought a pre facelift and I plan on swapping facelifted bumpers, spoilers and upgrading all the lights. If I were you I'd wait for the right car unless you are without other means of transport
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #7

You seem impressed by the visual aspects of the car

rather than features/options, condition, and even more expensive things like tires.

So why not wait for something already tarted up to your liking...the add-ons frequently add nothing to the selling price and you wouldn't have to pay for them separately.

The difference in value between a well maintained mid to higher mileage car and one that hasn't been very well maintained can be in the thousands...dollars or pounds...it makes no difference. So get a very knowledgeable mechanic to go over the car and do what we call here a Pre-Purchase Inspection and tell you what the car needs now or is going to need in the next 10k. It will be the best money you'll ever spend on the car because it will do one of three things:
1. Tell you you don't want this car
2. Help you negotiate a lower price (because the seller is told the results too)
3. Reassure you that the car is in good shape and you should only expect minor and routine maintenance costs going forward.

My PPI told me $2300 was what it would cost me to get the car in shape and after 5 years of owning it it has cost me very little (until the tires I'll be getting Monday but that is normal).
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #8

Well i went with the 3.2 with 67,000 miles & I'm picking it up tomorrow

I decided to give myself a budget & stick with it (which is why i didnt go with the later model) also if i'd have spent more you'r then getting in to 911 maserati spider or Merc slk amg55 money & i proberbly would have bought one of those instead.

But the Porsche badge pulled at my heart strings as it always has & I decided to keep a little money in my bank account & be sensible ! It's my first porsche & it has bags of main dealer history stamps (every 10,000 miles) & reciepts for clutches o rings discs etc so hopefully it'll be ok & if i enjoy owning it I'll maybe sell it in a year or two anyway & buy a 911.

The one thing i've learned is that any car is a risk & you just have to get your head down be as sure as you can about the vehicle & the seller & then be big enough to accept that if it goes wrong you have to pay for it... (hopefully i wont be eating those words).

If i do any mods for now it'll be lights & wheels & tyres only it's actually in beautiful original condition but I'll do some upgrades, It came with a private plate too (not sure if i like it) but I have my own to put on it if i decide to take it off.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum1971
Well i went with the 3.2 with 67,000 miles & I'm picking it up tomorrow

I decided to give myself a budget & stick with it (which is why i didnt go with the later model) also if i'd have spent more you'r then getting in to 911 maserati spider or Merc slk amg55 money & i proberbly would have bought one of those instead.

But the Porsche badge pulled at my heart strings as it always has & I decided to keep a little money in my bank account & be sensible ! It's my first porsche & it has bags of main dealer history stamps (every 10,000 miles) & reciepts for clutches o rings discs etc so hopefully it'll be ok & if i enjoy owning it I'll maybe sell it in a year or two anyway & buy a 911.

The one thing i've learned is that any car is a risk & you just have to get your head down be as sure as you can about the vehicle & the seller & then be big enough to accept that if it goes wrong you have to pay for it... (hopefully i wont be eating those words).

If i do any mods for now it'll be lights & wheels & tyres only it's actually in beautiful original condition but I'll do some upgrades, It came with a private plate too (not sure if i like it) but I have my own to put on it if i decide to take it off.

Bags of dealer stamped service tickets is a game changer for sure, especially if the work has been done recently, good for you, enjoy your new Porsche.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #10

Thanks everyone,

Time to get geared up for summer (if we get one)

Best ,

Callum.