Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #1

Is it possible.....???

Since my engine is possibly looking at about $1700+ in work to replace a gasket for a bad oil leak...

I was thinking about dropping in either a 3.4, 3.6, or 3.8 in it.

Surfing around the TPC site, I was curious if it is possible to throw one of their 996 superchargers onto the 3.4/3.6

or if it would be possible to squeeze a turbo/tt system in there.

I havent been able to find much about adding a sc or tt to a boxster swap, hopefully someone here would know.

Cheers

Adam

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile..._4015248_n.jpg

Last edited by PlayersExpress; 01-29-2010 at 12:29 PM.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #2

which gasket is it?
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #3

WOW! I'll never consider one of my rationalizations for buying something "over the line" again!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #4

The shop said it was right under the passenger side intake on the topside of the engine.

Quoted me about $1400 in labor +$100 gasket and then 10.5% tax.... they said to get at it they almost have to drop the engine and disconnect all the auxiliaries and such to swing the engine down to be able to work on it.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
WOW! I'll never consider one of my rationalizations for buying something "over the line" again!!!
Haha thanks for the support.... lets face it. If my girlfriend can go out and buy a $300 pair of shoes because they look "cute"... you know where this is going

Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #6

After 35 years, plus, I don't ask or tell. I just let her notice, if she does and say, "yeah, I bought that (fill in proper date)." :dance:
Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
After 35 years, plus, I don't ask or tell. I just let her notice, if she does and say, "yeah, I bought that (fill in proper date)." :dance:
After 23 years, I've learned this only works with purchases under $50 or so. Try it with a $14,000 motor swap and let us know how that goes for you
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #8

Adam, can you ask the shop to be more specific about this gasket they need to replace and report back here? I remember you posted about this oil leak a couple weeks back and I'm curious.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
Since my engine is possibly looking at about $1700+ in work to replace a gasket for a bad oil leak...

I was thinking about dropping in either a 3.4, 3.6, or 3.8 in it.

I havent been able to find much about adding a sc or tt to a boxster swap, hopefully someone here would know.

Cheers

Adam
If you want to see what is involved in dropping a 3.6 in a Boxster, get the latest (April) issue of "Excellence", there is a detailed story on doing exactly that...........
Old 01-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #10

@ Adam- I'll get back to you on the gasket. Im currently out of town for the weekend on business, but Im going to have a buddy of mine who is a mechanic for Porsche check it out in his garage sometime this week to make sure it is what the shop says it it. (long story, but Ive had problems with a couple shops frauding me or my family in recent years.)

@ JFP- Thanks, Ill make sure to pick that up right away.

@ Randall- $14,000 is a bit steep.. ive been looking at some used motors that need a good rebuilt for 2-4k, it would be a good father son activity with me and my pops who back in the 70s and 80s used to rebuild engines and cars as a hobby.

The good thing about my girlfriend is just that. A girlfriend. If she leaves me... I'll still get to keep the other half of my pants if you know what I mean. She loves my car, sometimes I think she likes it more than myself, when I let her drive it.

Back to my original question....

Is it possible to install a Supercharger or a Turbo/TT setup on a 3.4/6/8 engine in a boxster. Meaning... is there enough room, etc for it?

Old 01-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #11

Sounds like your dad is capable, to me the daunting aspect of the proposal is the conversion of the engine management systems, e gas and whether there are mounting issues to contend with. To really make the car proper and enjoyable, all that extra power is likely going to require suspension, clutch and brake upgrades so 14K might come quicker than you think on a tally sheet.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:52 AM   #12

I was in just about 10k for my swap that was done by myself. Good luck with it all.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
I was in just about 10k for my swap that was done by myself. Good luck with it all.

I think he's talking about building the engine too.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
After 23 years, I've learned this only works with purchases under $50 or so. Try it with a $14,000 motor swap and let us know how that goes for you
I showed up in the $47k Boxster to pick her up for dinner.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
Back to my original question....

Is it possible to install a Supercharger or a Turbo/TT setup on a 3.4/6/8 engine in a boxster. Meaning... is there enough room, etc for it?

The 3.4-3.8L engines are not physically bigger than your Boxster engine. If you put a 3.8L right next to a 2.7L the layman would have trouble telling which one is which. The increase in size is all internal by more stroke/bore so I don't see why there wouldn't be enough room. Somone with experience in swaps might be able to get more into the details or point out potential problems.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
The 3.4-3.8L engines are not physically bigger than your Boxster engine. If you put a 3.8L right next to a 2.7L the layman would have trouble telling which one is which. The increase in size is all internal by more stroke/bore so I don't see why there wouldn't be enough room. Somone with experience in swaps might be able to get more into the details or point out potential problems.
Actually, both the 3.4 and 3.6 have slightly taller intake manifolds (just enough to cause interference), which create top clearance issues that require fooling with the engine mounts to get the necessary vertical clearance .....
Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
I'm approaching 100k miles fast. My 2.7 is in the shop for an oil change today and look over and they found some minor oil leaks coming off the cams and RMS. They quoted me around $3100 for the repairs. I couldn't help but think that $3100 combined with another $5000 could get me a decent 3.4 or 3.6 engine. I love my Boxster to the point of obsession but I've always wanted more power. After reading the article in Excellence this month where the guy converted his '98 2.5 over to a 3.4 I'm totally sold that at some point I'm going to do this. I'd rather not spend thousands maintaining my 2.7 engine when that cash could go towards the swap.

The question is what would be more cost effective, a 3.4 or 3.6 swap or have my current engine bored out like the service Flat 6 Innovations provides?

:troll:
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Actually, both the 3.4 and 3.6 have slightly taller intake manifolds (just enough to cause interference), which create top clearance issues that require fooling with the engine mounts to get the necessary vertical clearance .....
Correct and that's a well known issue everyone who swaps engines deals with. I was referring to the size of the case and heads.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #19

Garage
A bit of advice,

I had an old land rover with a 2.25l petrol engine that has needed the timing chain replaced. I had a 5 cylinder mercedes diesel sitting there and it seemed to me at the time like the perfect time to swap engines. Boy was I wrong.

Long story short, it cost me thousands of dollars and almost a year of time to get the swap completed. in retrospect I should have replaced the timing chain and I could have been driving it the whole time. I should have bought another transmission and put the new engine combination together outside of the truck and then swaped it all at one time.

$1500 or $3100 for a repair is a drop in the bucket compared to an engine swap and if you do the repair then you can plan your swap while enjoying the car. I am all for swaps but there is a right time and a wrong time to do them.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered

$1500 or $3100 for a repair is a drop in the bucket compared to an engine swap and if you do the repair then you can plan your swap while enjoying the car. I am all for swaps but there is a right time and a wrong time to do them.

Understandable, but I do have a second car now that I also enjoy