Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecutter
To be honest, nothing will happen than is bad for the engine.

Here's the link to Royal Purple's tech sheets for their engine oils:

http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/motor-oil-ps.pdf

Some important numbers to look at:
Flash Point, Fire Point, cST @ 100C, SSU @ 210F

The Flash and Fire points will tell you how hot the oil can get before it will start to break down.

The viscosities tell you how thick the oil is at the testing temperature. The higher the number is, the thicker the oil is at that temperature, and for the most part, the better that oil will protect your engine when you get it good and hot.

Your 5W-30 oil will most likely be fine if you are just driving the car like a normal person. If you track the car, or abuse the drivetrain for really long periods of time, you run the risk of the oil breaking down in the critical locations, like the piston ring to cylinder wall area, and the connecting rod bearings.

You might want to run this oil change only 5k miles.
If you want to see if you can use the oil from now on, send off an oil sample to be tested at 2500 and 5k mile intervals.

BC.

This is absolutly horrible advice, and shoujld not be followed. In fact, Bladecutter should delete his entire post. Mr. Navarro, one of the experts in the field, clearly states not to use that oil viscosity. Porsche says not to use that viscosity. Other Forum members say not to. But, BC thinks it is just "fine".

W R O N G !!!!!!

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #22

I have to agree with Charles on this one, and I would also note that no RP oil (regardless of weight) is ACEA A3, B3, B4 ratings; which is what you should be using in the car in the first place..... Get rid of the oil, and put in a 5W or 10W-40 that meets the proper ACEA ratings.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-22-2009 at 02:22 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #23
2001 RUF 3800S

Looks like im gonna get that oil out ASAP. My ABS light came on for no reason and the car start to fell different kind of sluggish/ hesitation. I dunno whats going on but the car is parked and im getting that damn oil out. 100 bucks down the drain, literally....

Also, I just put in a new OEM oil filter in yesterday can I reuse it? or should I just order a new one?
violametallic-S- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #24
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by violametallic-S-
Looks like im gonna get that oil out ASAP. My ABS light came on for no reason and the car start to fell different kind of sluggish/ hesitation. I dunno whats going on but the car is parked and im getting that damn oil out. 100 bucks down the drain, literally....
Between the smoke and the problems your stating, I don't think the oil is your problem. Could be a Mass Airflow Sensor issue.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #25

Quote:

Also, I just put in a new OEM oil filter in yesterday can I reuse it? or should I just order a new one?

Well, you could run you used RP in your lawnmower. I've been using their 5w40 product as it's acea rated, the car runs fine on it, but I'm considering a switch to Redline.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 941MXVET
Well, you could run you used RP in your lawnmower. I've been using their 5w40 product as it's acea rated, the car runs fine on it, but I'm considering a switch to Redline.
Royal Purple used to claim ACEA ratings, but then when challenged on that fact, their marketing department changed the claim to “using ACEA approved ingredients”, until ACEA stated that they only rate finished products, not components, and that all products that are required to be tested by a third party (independent) lab; after which RP finally admitted they had lied and had never submitted their products for ACEA testing, claiming that “because their customers are mostly US based, ACEA testing is not important.” Right; they get caught lying, and then say the ratings they so wanted to promote are “Not important.” Interestingly, they still publish some tech sheets with marketing employing purposely vague or deceptive verbiage such as “exceeds ACEA warranty requirements”, which is nonsense as ACEA has nothing to do with warranties, only the performance ratings of oils, and RP never defines what “exceeds” means. So they continue to play the marketing hype game rather than focusing on their products. Based upon their ethics, and UOA testing of their products (which demonstrated the poor performance of their products) , I wouldn’t subject my lawn mower to RP stuff, plus you can get a Hell of lot better oil for a lot less money................

And, by-the-by, Red Line does not have ACEA either, but at least they don’t lie about it……….

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-23-2009 at 06:11 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #27

not to add fuel ( oil? ) to the fire but...

last month i switched off of the mobil 1 0w-40 to RP 10w-40. the week after the change i took a road trip and put around 3500 miles on the car in a little over a week. in total i've now put over 5k miles since the oil change. the first few days there was some smoke on start up, not a lot - more like a little puff. same as with the mobil 1, btw. since then the only time i get any smoke is when the car has sat for 3 or 4 days without being started. again small puff and then it's gone. smells like fuel not oil.

did i get any extra HP ( as RP says )? nah. seems to drive and run like it did before only a little less ticking noise when it's idling. will i use RP on the next change? no. i'm going to try something else.

the general consenus seems to be NO on mobil 1 and NO on 0w and NO on -30.

some people like castrol syntec, some people like RP, a few people stick with mobil because "that's what porsche puts in..."

Last edited by tonycarreon; 09-23-2009 at 04:53 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #28

Go with Total Quartz Energy 9000 in 5W-40 and you and your energy will be happy.
Tucson, AZ
Kurt W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:23 AM   #29
2001 RUF 3800S

Switched back to mobil 1 0-40. No more royal purple for me, not worth the hype.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
[COLOR=Red]Royal Purple used to claim ACEA ratings, but then when challenged on that fact, their marketing department changed the claim to “using ACEA approved ingredients”, until ACEA stated that they only rate finished products, not components, and that all products that are required to be tested by a third party (independent) lab; after which RP finally admitted they had lied and had never submitted their products for ACEA testing, claiming that “because their customers are mostly US based, ACEA testing is not important.” Right; they get caught lying, and then say the ratings they so wanted to promote are “Not important.”

Wow, I didn't realise all this, I'll do some searching on my own and re-evaluate my decision.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #31

Garage
I have been using Castrol Syntec 5W-40. I like the price too, a bit less expensive than M1.
rob76turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob76turbo
I have been using Castrol Syntec 5W-40. I like the price too, a bit less expensive than M1.
Switched to Castrol Syntec 10W-40 last oil change.

So far so good...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #33
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Switched back to mobil 1 0-40. No more royal purple for me, not worth the hype.
Curious - Do you still have smoking and running issues?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #34
2001 RUF 3800S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Curious - Do you still have smoking and running issues?

not anymore after the switch
Old 10-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #35
Porscheectomy

Quote:
not anymore after the switch
So you change the oil and the ABS light went off, the car stopped smoking and the car stopped running "sluggish"?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #36
2001 RUF 3800S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
So you change the oil and the ABS light went off, the car stopped smoking and the car stopped running "sluggish"?

ABS had nothing to do with it, it was just coincidence. But the smoke and sluggish/hesitation problem went away.