Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #1

Dash speakers

Swapped out the dash speakers. For those who have never seen these "beauties" I have attached a photo along with the Infinity Kappas I put in.

An easy DIY I can post if anyone is interested.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend
Swapped out the dash speakers. For those who have never seen these "beauties" I have attached a photo along with the Infinity Kappas I put in.

An easy DIY I can post if anyone is interested.

Hey, I got a few quick questions

1.) did you do it yourself and how easy?
2.) How do they sound compared to stock?

4.) Do you have rear? if so what kind?

I just put in a jvc kd-HDR50. I love the stereo, but the speakers don't sound as great i thought they would. Whenever I replace the stock head unit in my cars the stock speakers usually come a live.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-23-2009 at 10:34 AM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #3

So you replaced with the "KAPPA32.9CF 3-1/2" two-way loudspeaker"? It looks like you had to remove the mounting ears on the speakers? And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there 1" tweeters in there as well? Did you leave them in place, remove them, or replace with the "KAPPA10.9T 1" Edge-driven UHF dome tweeter "?
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterIsl
So you replaced with the "KAPPA32.9CF 3-1/2" two-way loudspeaker"?
I did a little more searching, and it looks like they're 4" - with is the "KAPPA42.9I 4" 2-Way", right?

So...yes, how do you think they sound compared to stock?
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #5

Are you still out there Urban legend?

We are curious on your take of those speakers. I am looking to replace the front with some crisp clean speakers. The price is right and I am ready to pull the trigger, I would just like to have some feed back on them. There is little feedback on the web.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #6

Ok, I took out the dash speakers to see what I could fit in. The drivers side really limits putting anything bigger in. I also took off my rear speaker box and the speakers are the same MFG as dash. There are 4 rear speakers(2 each side) and it looks like you can fit something bigger in there. My rear speakers are pure garbage. they sound like crap. The best buy guy says the doors are just small bass or subs. I have the fade adjusted to the front so that it sound half way decent.

Budget for speakers is around $200
summary:
1.)Front: $80 Infinity Kappa 4" (I am checking to see if 5" rounds will fit in).
2.)Door: Might leave them stock as I can here some bass from them
3.)Rear: ($120) No Idea, Please help.
4.) Head unit: JVC kd-HDR50 (already installed $165).

Any suggestions for rear would be greatly appreciated!! I would like to keep them the same brand, preferably Kappa. I like the reviews on the infinity kappas. I don't mind spending a little extra to get great sound.

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-24-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #7

You will only be able to replace the rears with 3-1/2" speakers. It will require some cutting to the plate that currently holds the speakers, if they are the oem units.
You might want to try to just ad some tweeters in series. Many have done that successfully. Without upgrading the amp you will not have much power going there.

The fronts or also maxed out at 4" units with a 1" separate tweeter.

the doors are "subs" you can go larger but will need to cut the baffle that they sit in or make new ones.

Check over on the Renn Tech site. There are many many threads of people that have done speakers and head unit upgrades with a lot of visual and descriptive information.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drem914
You will only be able to replace the rears with 3-1/2" speakers. It will require some cutting to the plate that currently holds the speakers, if they are the oem units.
You might want to try to just ad some tweeters in series. Many have done that successfully. Without upgrading the amp you will not have much power going there.

The fronts or also maxed out at 4" units with a 1" separate tweeter.

the doors are "subs" you can go larger but will need to cut the baffle that they sit in or make new ones.

Check over on the Renn Tech site. There are many many threads of people that have done speakers and head unit upgrades with a lot of visual and descriptive information.

First, thanks for the input, I was playing with the idea of puting 6x9's or a little smaller in the back. I took the whole unit off and there is tons of room. Iwas thinking about facing the 6x9s upwards and tilted as much forward as I could. I could easily drill holes in the top so the sound could escape.

On the fronts, I agree it looks like 4" are the max without some serious mods to the dash(too much trouble).

Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #9

There are rear speakers in the Boxster?!?! I thought there were just two dash speakers and two on the door.
kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk
There are rear speakers in the Boxster?!?! I thought there were just two dash speakers and two on the door.
He may be referring to these:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=SpeakerKit986&Category_Code=986AUDIO
Old 07-25-2009, 05:08 AM   #11

All this talk about speakers and stereos and all this is making rip out all my factory stuff. I started yesterday. I took some photos of the stock dash speakers. I am going to be replacing the dash tweeter with memphis 1"tweeters that are a component set with a 5.25 door woofer. When it is done it will be running off a alpine deck, I am not sure which one yet, a a/d/s amp and the memphis crossovers. I am not sure if I am going to change out the dash speakers though just the tweeters. I have some of this stuff left over from when I used to be into car audio. The memphis are new and they look real sweet. I'll post up a pic of them in a bit.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:03 AM   #12

Heres a photo of the Door speakers and the tweeters and the crossover for them. The cool thing about this set is they can be bi-amped and come with a plate all ready to put the sub and the tweeter mounted together in a 6x8 configuration. I can't wait to hear how they sound. I should do the full install next week.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #13

RE: REAR speakers.

I was suprised also. I had never looked behing my seat. I have the rear cargo box with the speakers VATH had linked(definately not worth $169). There is ample room in the speaker box, albeit with a little drummel tool work, to possible put 6x9s back there. They won't be pointed in the exact forward direction, but as i stated I could put them facing up but tilted forward. the seat rest are directly in front of the stock so the sound should be similiar.

What I have read on the Kappa 4" round for the front is they run on 2ohms, sound fantasctic and I think it said they have a built in crossover. my stock amp is hooked to my fronts so that would help.

Questions:
1.) how many channels is the stock amp?
2.) Will it run rear and fronts?
3.) How much difference between Infinity's kappa vs REference

And lastly I am still waiting for Urbanlegend to give us some feed back on the infinity kappas. I admire Jaay and his zest for great sound, but I am jus looking to drop in some good/great speakers and go. If I was in my 20's I would be dropping at least $2000, but approaching the big 40, I am a little more frugal

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-25-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #14

at the beach

Hey all..at the beach so no chance to fill you in.
Very briefly with more to come next week when I return home.
- Infinity speakers are the four inch (100mm), they are just a few mm shy of a perfect fit in the OEM speaker "basket". You need to add a gasket to make them fit snug.
- They sound great. Like the difference b/w a clock radio and a decent pair of bookshelf speakers.
- I only have the front dash speakers - no door, no rear. So from my point a view - a MUST upgrade.
- Pretty easy DIY - I just used the OEM speaker basket - so total out the door cost was like $69.
- A lot more room under the dash than you would think - plenty of space for the external crossovers of the Infinity.
- BTW - no tweeter the speaker cover is a fake, nothing under the tweeter sxn.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #15

Quote:
- A lot more room under the dash than you would think - plenty of space for the external crossovers of the Infinity.
- BTW - no tweeter the speaker cover is a fake, nothing under the tweeter sxn.

Hey thanks for the update. couple question about your post

1.) RE: to your no tweeter, Are you talking about the Porsche speakers? cause mine has a tweeter in there.
2.) about the room, could you have gone 5"? The drivers side looks the most restrictive.
3.) and are they the "KAPPA42.9I 4" 2-Way?
Thanks again for the update.

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-29-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #16

more on the dash speakers

The speaker grill has two parts - one looks like it should be over a seperate tweeter but when you remove the grill there is no seperate tweeter.

Two main ways to replace the speaker:
- use the special speaker bracket sold on EBAY
- or do as I did and just use the existing speaker basket. You will need to cut out the OEM speaker and just use the plastic. The plastic basket (now a plastic ring) can then just be screwed back into the speaker grill keeping the proper speaker orientation.

You will want to use a 4" speaker that you can break the mounting tabs off - you won't need them and they will just be in the way. External dimension should be less than 105mm to fit back into the plastic ring. The Kappa 42.9I (2-way) were 100mm external and were just a few mm shy of a perfect fit..so I needed to add a gasket to tighen them up.

Regardless of the method choosen you will need to use a 4" speaker otherwise it will not mount to the speaker grill. Also keep an eye on the speaker depth - for a good reference see the Polk 4" dB dimensions they will fit fine.

Last edited by urban_legend; 08-03-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #17

I said f###'it and ordered 2 sets of Kappa's today.
Infinity 429I 150W (Peak) 4 -Inch 2-Way Speaker (Pair)"; $64.00
Infinity 4629CFP 180W (Peak) 4 x 6 2-Way Plate Speakers (Pair); $69.00
The prices were incredible and the seller has great ratings.

I had bought the same size pioneers today from walmart, just to see if they will fit. I will probably return them tomorrow. I actually bought the 5" round to see if I could get that to fit in the dash, as I knew the 4" would already fit. It would have been tight, so I decided to go with the Kappa 4" I set the Pioneer 4x6 in the rear compartment to see if it would fit. It definately will with little mods. I will take pictures of my master piece/jerry rig.

I get them in a week, and I will post my success (wishful thinking)story then. So please wish me luck. Oh, I am going to stick with the stock amp for now, but might upgrade later.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #18

Save the box...

The 4" Kappas will be a little loose in the OEM speaker basket - easy way to solve that is to just make a little gasket from the stryofoam packing material. Or you may have a better idea. Tools needed: torx screwdriver (90 degrees is best), hacksaw blade, exacto knife and philips screwdrive.

Good luck - they will sound great.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #19

Quote:
The 4" Kappas will be a little loose in the OEM speaker basket - easy way to solve that is to just make a little gasket from the stryofoam packing material. Or you may have a better idea. Tools needed: torx screwdriver (90 degrees is best), hacksaw blade, exacto knife and philips screwdrive.

Good luck - they will sound great.
Thanks for the info. I was sizing up the 4"x6" and I could have really made them fit, but I would hate to srew up my dash. I am pretty sure I can get the Infinity kappa 4x6 to fit in the rear.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #20

mptoledo, please keep us updated with your install and what you come up with (pictures too if possible)... I'm about to order a set too!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote