Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #21

I finally got my digital camera working. well I bought a battery . anybody know how to upload pics on here. I heard you have to have them on another site. somebody give me an easy 123 how to, preferably free.

Urbanlegend, I tried an old sweeper belt round tubular kind, and it was a little small for the 5" round. I am hoping it can be jerry rigged for the 4". As for the rears it should be easy enough. I might have to break out the dremel tool.

I will have some more questions in about a week wwhen they come in, ie. what wires go where. but I will wait till then

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #22

http://photobucket.com/ is highly recomended but you would have to create an account. It's free of course.

for very fast results you can use http://www.mypicx.com/ (or many other sites; there are millions if you google) .

After uploading your pics you can
use [IMG ]the url of the pic[ /IMG] so they appear here
or
just post the link so we can visit an external site.

I am so much into the inifity's you bought. Have you considered the JL Audio C2-400X? Same price range but I do not know anything else (there were recommended by a friend)

G
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #23

I will set up the account and practice a few times. Thanks!!

yeah I looked at JL and boston acoustics(pricey). Once you get to the level of JL and Infinity, what I have read, is that you get pretty much the same sound quality. I may have to get an amp but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I just have to figure out what wire goes where. For now I am leaving the door (bass) speakers alone.

Side note, I love clarity on all my sound systems. My home system is 7.2 marantz seperates with Klipsch rf series(not Best buy's). Bass is alright but not high on my list. I am into as perfect reproduction as it can be!!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #24

Hey look I did it. damn you can teach an old dog new tricks. now how do you make it smaller? OK its getting smaller.

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-04-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #25

Easy way to upload

a) open a word document
b) paste your photos
c) save as a pdf file
d) upload

Much smaller file size and you can add text.
Ex attached.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #26

GOT MY SPEAKERS!!!
Infinity 429I 150W (Peak) 4 -Inch 2-Way Speaker (Pair)"; $64.00
Infinity 4629CFP 180W (Peak) 4 x 6 2-Way Plate Speakers (Pair); $69.00

Ok I got the fronts in, sounded great. I will give a step by step in the DIY forum later on tonight, I did take pictures

They didn't exactly fit in the front housing, but I have a roto zip and they do now!!
The short of it. I just cut out the middle of the houseing and droped my speakers in. A few cuts here and there(will detail later with pics) and they fit like a glove. You can't tell they aren't stock until you turn it on of course. The hard part was figuring out the neg and pos, but i found a trick. It only took about 30 minutes for the first but the second took less than 10 minutes.

I am having trouble mounting my rear 4x6 kappas. There is no way to get them in the end speaker compartments without some serious mods. I am leaning on mounting them to a board and then putting the rear housing around it. I will have to place them in the middle compartment, but that isn't bad as the seats wont block the sound as it would in the end speaker compartments. I am going to look at speaker boxes tonight also maybe an option or maybe just for ideas.

I did find out that my amp is hooked up to only my rear speakers as I had to turn my fade to front=6 to get a good blend. I dont know if that was the BB guy that hooked my radio up a month ago or how porsche has it. I may have to get a better amp.

First impressions: Fronts blow away stock without a frickin doubt, but the rear sound even better, of course they are amped!! Crystal clear loud, I do have a little muffling from the rear but as soon as i turned the bass down it went away.

Anybody know how many channels porsches amp is? I am too lazy to google right now.

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-11-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #27

P-car purist would probably

but here are the only enclosed speakers I could find and
no pre-built speaker boxes are made to fit anything smaller than 6x9 so I
even looked at marine wakeboard speakers - thought it might be a hoot to attach them to the rollbar.

I am suprised nobody sells a fiberglass speaker enclosure for the rear deck.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #28

The stock amp is 4 x 40w and they typically run the dash and doors.
the head unit runs the rears unless you have a 6 x 40 amp. you can tell by the order code in the front trunk what type of audio you have. If you did not have rears before putting these in, you probably have the 4 x 40. I suggest you trace the line outs and speaker outs to find out what is connected and where.
You may need to modify the harness connection between the jvc and the amp in the car. No telling what BB did, if you have to turn the front fade all the way up to get anything out of the rear. Hopefully they didn't switch everything around and set the dashes as the rears and the doors as the fronts
Old 08-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #29

Thanks to both of you for the input. I just have them sitting there in the middle compartment on their magnets. No hard turns for now.

yeah, I probably picked the wrong size speakers for the rear. But they sound so good. I am guessing the Best buy guy hooked the amp up differently than stock. I will stop by there tomorrow and see what he says. He actually is pretty comptetent. He may have some input on housing. I played around with styrafoam, but it just didn't fit right. The front infinity covers are cool but don't fit the rears. The 4x6 didn't come with covers. I just cant mount them on a board as there is nothing to screw in unless I use an L bracket because of the "plate" design.

The problem, The plate speakers are 1" too tall for the housing. They must be set at an angle and in the middle compartment. I need to find a way to mount them to a board possibly with an L bracket or some type of housing enclosure.

If they had covers I could mount them behind the seats as there might be enough room. I love the fact they are 2 ohm and they do complement each other well, but I need the same amount of power going to both front and back so I think I need to drop the doors off the amp and add the fronts. it is pretty loud with the current amp.

this is what they look like.
http://img01.static-nextag.com/image/Infinity-Kappa-462-9CFP/1/000/006/025/389/602538907.jpg

Again Urban and Drem thanks for the input. Its not that hard and I am sure there is a solution I am not lookng at.

I need BEER It helps the thought process!!

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-11-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #30

Congrats on the dash speakers. I am buying the same set as long as I find them chip from a legit seller that would make me confident that I can return them if I do not like them.

I think you would have to trim the rear compartment to fit the 4" rear speakers properly. I have measured the rear compartment again and again and only 3.5" speakers will fit.

BTW I have the OEM rear speakers (not installed... I hate the factory sound so much that I did not bother installing them) and I can see two speakers on each side. They are 3 1/4" in diameter. But why two? I guess they connect in series, but still why two?

I am thinking of buying a 5 1/2 component speaker system and installing the woofers in the doors and the tweeters in the rear compartment. But I will install 3 1/2" rear speakers too, so the tweeters sound redundant.... What do you think?
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstoli
Congrats on the dash speakers. I am buying the same set as long as I find them chip from a legit seller that would make me confident that I can return them if I do not like them.

I think you would have to trim the rear compartment to fit the 4" rear speakers properly. I have measured the rear compartment again and again and only 3.5" speakers will fit.

BTW I have the OEM rear speakers (not installed... I hate the factory sound so much that I did not bother installing them) and I can see two speakers on each side. They are 3 1/4" in diameter. But why two? I guess they connect in series, but still why two?

I am thinking of buying a 5 1/2 component speaker system and installing the woofers in the doors and the tweeters in the rear compartment. But I will install 3 1/2" rear speakers too, so the tweeters sound redundant.... What do you think
?

The rears were hidious, even worse than the front. Yes the 2 speakers on each side in the rear were just split on each side( Weird).

ON mounting the rears (that sounds funny ), anyways, I am thinking about two ways, one is to get a board and mounting them at a slight angle, or finding some cheap computer speaker(or something) casing and mounting them in that. I am going to Best buy, oddlots(amazing what crap you can retool there) and where ever else I can think of. I may even hinge two boards together, cut a big hole for the magnets and use that. Either way I have decided to put them in the middle compartment as the tried them behind the seat rest(where the stock were) and it really killed the volume and quality.

For some reason I get a kick out of puzzles like this and love figuring it out.

The fronts were easy. I just cut out the center and three posts in the back so the speaker would fit. They sounded great until I hooked up the rears. The rears are so clear and loud!!

The whole key was setting the radio's custom users settings, mids, lows, highs, sub,..... The presets were garbage.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend
I am suprised nobody sells a fiberglass speaker enclosure for the rear deck.
Funny you should mention that. That is exactly what I am working on. Product pics coming in a few weeks.
funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdefino
Funny you should mention that. That is exactly what I am working on. Product pics coming in a few weeks.
Well, don't keep me in suspense. How are you going about doing the rears? Inside, outside, facing up, slightly tilted, middle compartment? Come on give up your secrets!!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #34

First box will be a dual 6x9 facing forward but on an angle.

I will also do a component 6 1/2 version.

And for the bass boys:

Dual stereo 3 1/2 like The rear kit but with a ported 8" sub in the middle.

Hoping there is interest. I figured the dual 6x9 is a good starting point for most people who just want good stereo rears. The one I am working on right now uses 4" Kappas in the dash and 6x9 Kappas in the rear deck with the stock door subs and sounds awesome. This is the way the stock system should have sounded.

Maybe if this project turns a profit I will make some door pods for direct drop in subs.

Any takers?

Last edited by funkdefino; 08-12-2009 at 08:35 AM.
funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #35

Beta tester.

Yes, I would be interested - keep me in the loop.
(As much time as I have wasted on threads I could of built the box myself.)

I don't have the door speakers - but I think I would be satisifed with the dash and two good rear speakers.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #36

Update:

After returning to BB to look for a speaker box I talked to the install guy. He was adamant about the rears are running off the jvc head unit, the doors and fronts share a common ground and are running off the 4x40watt P-amp. If that is the best the P-amp can do, then I have to rate it garbage, or maybe flea market worthy.

I picked up a pair of 3 1/2" infinity ref 3022cf to see how they fit. They were returned once, looked fine and after BB 10% discount they came to $72 OTD. Talk about bending over and taking it!! Amazon has them $33 with free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MPIWHG
I would love to hear what the Kappas sound like before I buy the ref. ref=3 ohms, kappas=2 ohms.

Ok the scoop, they will definately fit in the current bracket(with one little mod as they have a small square piece on the side. I just need to notch out that on the stock harness. I actually could fit two just like factory.

Sound: They were by no means as good as the 4x6 kappa. They had a little more tinny sound. Not horrible, as I could adjust the fade and they harmonized with the fronts real well.

Question: What would you guys/gals do? 1 or 2 speakers on each side? I am going to do a search to see if there are any Kappas in 3 1/2. 4 inch just wouldn't fit quite right. I really would like to have them secure, safe and stock looking.

Found Kappa 32.9 for $55 a pair or x 2 for $110.
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-329CF-Custom-Two-Way-Speakers/dp/B0018SJ4AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250204702&sr=1-1

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-13-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #37

I think i am going to order 1 pair of kappa 3 1/2 as i can always add more later. I got pics of the front install but it was very similar to Urbans pics. Once I get the whole thing done I will update. I am still going to leave the doors alone for now, as I have screwed up my old mustangs doors trying to do the speakers. Plus I am not a huge bass man.

It will probably take a week for shipping, but for $20 less than best buys ref series infinity I can't say no.

Hey Urban legend, Did you put any padding in the the dash? I heard a distinct ding, like the magent on a metal frame, when I dropped mine in.

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-13-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #38

Depth.

There is a bolt on the passenger side that limits the speaker depth. This is (one reason) why I used the OEM basket. Maybe someone who has torn apart the dash can tell you what it does - but it looks like it was designed by the same engineer who does the last spark plug on a V8. The one that takes longer than the other 7 combined.

I saw Crutchfield and others sell rubber baffles to fit around the speaker - looks like they would be helpful and work.

btw - it wasn't clear to me. Are you replacing the OEM speakers in the rear speaker kit - or did you have the storage box w/out the oem speaker kit?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend
There is a bolt on the passenger side that limits the speaker depth. This is (one reason) why I used the OEM basket. Maybe someone who has torn apart the dash can tell you what it does - but it looks like it was designed by the same engineer who does the last spark plug on a V8. The one that takes longer than the other 7 combined.

I saw Crutchfield and others sell rubber baffles to fit around the speaker - looks like they would be helpful and work.

btw - it wasn't clear to me. Are you replacing the OEM speakers in the rear speaker kit - or did you have the storage box w/out the oem speaker kit?

I saw those on crutchfield, damn expensive. I am going to try to cut some styrafoam to fit.

Mine came with rear speakers, but they were so hideous that I yanked them out. I have a pair of Kappas 6x4 plate speakers sitting on their magnets in the middle compartment. The only way I can see to mount them is to fit a bottom on the storage compartment and epoxy them to the bottom and the front edge at an angle.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #40

any updates guys?

Still very interested in this project...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote