Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
any updates guys?

Still very interested in this project...

I still have my 6x4's sittin on their magnets in my storage area. I got so fed up with it that I was putting it off. too my defense(yes excuse) we had a week of rain and I didn't drive it. So "out of sight out of mind". Now that you were so nice to bring it up , I am back to the drawing board

I am going to see if they will fit in the old speaker compartments(rears) and stay put, facing up, with the storage thing fastened. My only 2 fears are, they will slide around when I hit twisties as the are. If I leave them sitting on their magnets it might affect the sound quality as its metal under the carpet.

I am fine with the amp as is for now, as If I turn the sound to 40 out of 50 it is frickin loud!!I have it faded to the front by 3 or 4. but is still sounds great.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #42

Wow what a difference

I had a Pioneer Stereo HU and speakers in my last car and really like them. The stock speakers in the Boxster gave me a headache. Very harsh sounding and muddy. You guys inspired me to upgrade them. I always liked the way the Infinities sounded in the store, but I've never had then in a car. The 42.9i Kappas are killer even with the stock HU and amp. Very clear and smooth highs. Even at low volume.

Now I just need to fix the bass. The stock subs are farting out and still not loud enough. I never liked the balance between the subs and the front mains. Now the Kappas just bury the subs. You guys mentioned replacing them, does that help or do they really just need more power? Which would get the best quick boom for the buck, upgrading the sub speakers or putting them on a different amp with more power. Ideally I will do both down the road.

I'm also following the thread for the rear speaker solution. I don't have any right now and I'm looking for the best way to add them. I'd really like the 4 or 5 inch Kappas in there.

Dennis
Sunbrnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #43

Kappa install

Just to actually add something to this discussion, I followed urban_legend's option of cutting the old speakers out of the basket and just keeping the mounting ring. I took a pair of tin snips and trimmed the Kappa's mounting tabs back so they just slide into the ring. This allowed them to be held in place when the ring was put back on the speaker grill. I tightened them down and shook the crap out of them. They didn't move at all, so I think they should stay tight in the mount.

Sorry no pictures, I was just excited to get them in.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #44

May punt on the rear speakers...and focus on the doors.

Really pleased with the Kappas. Worth it even if you do no more than listen talk radio.

I am however re-thinking the rear speaker option. Since I don't have the rear storage unit and would need to purchase it and then buy the OEM or PNP 3.5" speaker kit and then would be still at a point where I would be missing bass.
I am thinking why not just put a bigger 6.5" 2-way or even 3-way in the doors?
They should fit and if I like the 4" Kappas, why wouldn't I love the 6.5"?

Only two negatives come to mind - the grille won't look stock and I would need to find someone who has pulled the stock speaker bracket to make a template.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #45

Door Speakers

I did find a couple people that had replaced the subs with 6.5's. Here is one article http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5022

About half way thru he talks about how to take the door panel off and build a baffle for the larger 6.5 speaker and keeping the stock grill.

Just replacing the speakers should give you better bass. If you run full range the sound stage will still be forward of you and not really fill the space around you. Instead of front and rear you would have top and bottom. It would be interesting to try and see how you like it. I'm still thinking about how to put in some rear speakers in the 5-6 range.