Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #1

Door panel removal..dead links

Several sites including Mike Focke's and wikipedia have a dead link on the door panel removal.

Anyone know where I can find a live link to the door panel removal instructions?
Maybe someone can post it in the DIYs.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #2

I have no link but this is how to do it. It takes all of two minutes.

Tools.
Phillips head screw driver
Allen key. Size? Small
flat head screw driver
torx bit set

Here's how ya do it.
1. Pull you interior door handle like your opening it. There is a Phillips head screw back there behind it. Un screw it.
2. There is a plastic Phillips head screw in the cubby hole. Un screw that also.
3. Plastic cap over the interior door handle. This just kinda pops off. If not use your flathead to pop it off. I believe there is another Phillips in there.
4. While you have your flathead screw driver out. Pry out he little plastic airbag cap onthe door. It says airbag on it. Behind there is the Allen bolt that needs to be removed. Next with the flathead, on the black handle that runs most of the length of the door, in the middle here is a small plastic cuff on it. Use your flathead to pry that off from the bottom.
5. There are two torx bolts. One was under the cuff on the long black piece and the other is up top near the door handle.
6. You have to pop off the triangular piece by your mirror. Use your flat head from the bottom pry and then when it is loose lslide it up and take it off.
7. At this point you are just aboutset to take it off. If you have a panel popper you would use that to pop the panel off. I'm ghetto. I use a flat head and my hands. Get your flat head in under the panel on the bottom and work your wAy aroundith your hands and flathead. Now they should all be popped out and he panel should be loose. There are three connections to undo.
8. Unclip the light on the bottom rear is the panel. Unclip the door handle sensor. Lastley unhook the door handle cable or the release cable, whatever you want to call it.

Sorry if this write up sucks. I did it on my iPhone at midnight after a long day at work. This whole precedure takes realisticly five minutes. Good luck and stay ready for my next ghetto fix.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #3

Try this for some pictures...

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

Funny, I Googled 'boxster door panel removal' and the above link came up first and your forum post was the 4th link listed.

Be careful removing the oval airbag cap that covers that bolt. It's easy to scratch the airbag cover. Also, it is easy to snap off a plastic tab at the top of the triangular trim piece at the mirror if you don't pop the bottom and then slide to tip up. Ask me how I know.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Shouldn't the battery be disconnected?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Shouldn't the battery be disconnected?
I agree, or don't you risk setting off your door airbags if you don't?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #6

Yup, you should definitely disconnect the battery before you start any airbag-related projects.

I wait a half hour after the battery disconnect before I do anything around the airbags. It's probably overkill, but I'd rather not find out what happens otherwise.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote