Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #1

1st cross country trip/ Am I crazy?

Hello all. Newbie here. I am flying out to Cali to pick up my New/used 2001 Boxster S with 50k miles, this week and then driving it back to Ohio. Its about 2300miles and 33hours Question is "Am I nuts" or will I have the ride of my life?

I have taken a Corvette conv and an A6 tt about 1/4 the distance over the years. The audi was like riding on rails, while the corvette seemed a little tedious(not horribly). Seemed like everybody had to challenge me in the Vette. I just cant think of a better car in the world to do this in than a Boxster S. I am stopping in Reno the first day after only 3hours just to make sure the car solid. The next legs of the trip will be bewteen 10 -15 hours.

I have done as much home work as possible on the car, carfax, prior service records, newer tires and all that stuff. I love road trips so the journey isn't what worries me. Its the reliability of the car. Barring any acts of God/Allah/Yahweh/ and the Porsche deity, I shouldn't worry too much about the reliability of the car should I? I have always wanted to take a cross country trip.

If anybody has done a cross country similar, I would appreciate a couple hotel suggestions or any pointers on places to see or routes to take(i plan on I80 east for awhile. Oh, I love BB-Q so I would love to here from any of you gluttonous BBQ lovers. I heard memphis has great BBQ. I do plan to update my Passport 9500ix with all the recent photo sites.

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-20-2009 at 06:01 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #2

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from a ~3000 mile drive that included a DE. It was a great drive and was very comfortable, stable and a lot of fun.

I have taken 8 trips across the country in my 944 over the last 5 years. I have taken I-10, I-70, I-80 and I-90. I took I-90 through South Dakota to avoid what I was told was REALLY boring territory on 94.

My trips were usually San Diego to Rochester, NY and were about 2700 miles and took 42 hours. My best was 32 hours strait in the drivers seat. I can do 24 hours strait behind the wheel without much trouble. My advice is that if you have not done lots of long distance driving is to pace yourself, and take breaks when you feel that your loosing focus on the road.

As for things to see. In South Dakota there was this weird car museum that had some really nice cars along with a pinto? Worth the time to stop if you like old cars. You'll see signs for it if your up that way. If your on I-80 in kansas there is a museum called Pioneer Village that is worth the stop.

Also the rest stops in Iowa are the best in the country..... period....

I like I-80, that's what I did the most. I-70 through Kansas was what made me decide that I will never will drive through Kansas ever again.

You'll have fun, long distance highway is not that hard on the car, just watch the oil level (learning habits of a new car) and don't run out of gas. Depending on where in CA your picking up the car, you may want to take 15 to 70 and in Denver take 76 to 80. The only thing there is that you do a bunch of desert driving which can get very hot in the summer, and one section in Utah is somewhere around 200 miles between gas stations (maybe less, but it is a long distance). Other than that it is mostly 75mph speed limits and lots of strait empty road.

Good luck and you will enjoy the car!!!!!!
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #3

Sounds incredible to me. I love to drive long-distance and am looking forward to my first road trip in the Boxster. My wife and I are going to do a Route 66 tour this year, and we're still trying to decide between her Jeep (i.e. motel on wheels) and the Boxster.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #4

Heres a photo of my car at half moon bay.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
Hello all. Newbie here. I am flying out to Cali to pick up my New/used 2001 Boxster S with 50k miles, this week and then driving it back to Ohio. Its about 2300miles and 33hours(Please be nice as its all I can afford in this economy) . Question is "Am I nuts" or will I have the ride of my life?

I have taken a Corvette conv and an A6 tt about 1/4 the distance over the years. The audi was like riding on rails, while the corvette seemed a little tedious(not horribly). Seemed like everybody had to challenge me in the Vette. I just cant think of a better car in the world to do this in than a Boxster S. I am stopping in Reno the first day after only 3hours just to make sure the car solid. The next legs of the trip will be bewteen 10 -15 hours.

I have done as much home work as possible on the car, carfax, prior service records, newer tires and all that stuff. I love road trips so the journey isn't what worries me. Its the reliability of the car. Barring any acts of God/Allah/Yahweh/ and the Porsche deity, I shouldn't worry too much about the reliability of the car should I? I have always wanted to take a cross country trip.

If anybody has done a cross country similar, I would appreciate a couple hotel suggestions or any pointers on places to see or routes to take(i plan on I80 east for awhile. Oh, I love BB-Q so I would love to here from any of you gluttonous BBQ lovers. I heard memphis has great BBQ. I do plan to update my Passport 9500ix with all the recent photo sites.

I just did the same thing to get mine! Flew to Houston, spent 45 minutes there, and then drove it 2000 miles straight back to NV in about 26 hours. What a drive!

Unfortunately, I didn't have my 9500ix yet and had to explain to some understanding TX law enforcement officers that I had just acquired the car and was still getting accustomed to its power and smooth ride!

One of my favorite parts of the trip was putting the top down for sunrise through AZ. I didn't originally want a convertible when I started looking for this car, but that moment was absolutely beautiful!

Where in Cali are you picking it up? I make the drive from the SF Bay Area to the Tahoe area several times a month and know it quite well. When are you going to be in Reno? It's always fun to meet other members on the forum.

Enjoy the ride!
19" black 997 Turbo wheels
Litronics
Fully De-Ambered
BumperPlugged
Painted badges
CSE Exhaust Mod
De-Snorked
FVD Headers and cats on the way
Dension GW 500 on the way
Bumperettes on the way
GT_YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #6

Just have the car serviced before making the trip. Have the oil changed, fluids checked and read any possible codes. Also, have your AAA card with you and you're good to go.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #7

I love adventures and am envious of you. My only suggestion is to bring some Santana along for the ride. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 AM   #8

Sign up for AAA - get the Gold service, it allows up to 100 miles in towing. The basic only allows 3 miles. Buy or borrow a XM radio. Its worth it for this long of a road trip. I would also recomend a Netbook (TigerDirect for $220) with Steets and Trips installed and the GPS locator. No need for maps. Have a power invertor to recharge the netbook.

Memphis BBQ... go down a street, turn down an alley... go downstairs. Great dry rubbed ribs and cold beer. Don't know the name or which street.... but ask at the hotel and mention my directions and they'll know where I'm talking about.

Update found it: Rendezvous, If you’re riding the Main Street Trolley, get off at the Union Avenue stop and head east (away from the river) down Union. Use the sidewalk on the north side. Cross Second Street, then turn left into our alley just before you get to the Holiday Inn Select. Our door is on the left

Oh, you won't see any Troopers until you hit the Ohio line... but you should know that.

Last edited by vath2001; 06-22-2009 at 04:10 AM.
vath2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:33 AM   #9

when you get back post an update and let everyone know how it went.

going to make my first trip in the boxster from DC to Dallas next month, which I do once or twice a year in the escape.

:dance:
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #10

Wow, thanks for the overwhelming support. I booked my flight for tues 23rd(tomorrow) I get in san fran @ 11 am by 1pm I plan to be standing on my car on the golden gate bridge,mooning Nancy palosi (nothing political, I just hate that biatch), then its off to Reno(anybody know where the chicken ranch is(just kiddin)). I figure I would only drive it 3 hours the first day just to see how she runs. Then I need to find the worlds largest ball of twine!!(running joke with my friend)

I have planned the general out line and plan to let the details fall into place as I go. After talking to the owner of my soon to be new car(on phone), I feel a lot more at ease. You just never know what you get on ebay. I went with geikos road side and bumped up my theft coverage, just in case she breaks down.

A couple of questions:
1.)I read the 285 page online manual last night. quick questions. The manual makes the batter sound real weak. How is the battery?
2.) What gas stations do guys think have the best quality and what ones to avoid? Or does it even matter?
3.) How long can one usually drive in a day without going batty?

Last edited by mptoledo; 06-22-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #11

I've never gone on a long trip with the Boxster but should be fun. Where is the car located in the Bay Area? Should you need any assistance feel free to send me a PM.

My daughter is doing just the opposite. She's about to drive from Columbus to Bay Area on June 30.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
A couple of questions:
1.)I read the 285 page online manual last night. quick questions. The manual makes the batter sound real weak. How is the battery?
2.) What gas stations do guys think have the best quality and what ones to avoid? Or does it even matter?
3.) How long can one usually drive in a day without going batty?
1 - i think the battery is "weak" if it's not checked and filled when necessary. check the fluid and refill if necessary ( distilled water, not tap ) and keep an eye on it. if you notice the car seems hesitant to start, get a new one before getting to far.

2 - keep the 93. i tend to favor exxon ( greedy bastards ) and dislike texaco, but that's personal preferences. i have not noticed anything between using my local ( get-go ) station, shell or others. used to really like sunoco, but none local.

a few points i've read:
- refill when you have a major change in altitude to reset the computer and adapt to the new altitude, otherwise CEL might come on.
- if 93 is unavailable, 90 is okay but will reduce mileage.
- don't run too close to empty.

3. i found out that when you have to ask a passenger ( who may or not actually be there ) if an elephant really ran across the road, it's time to stop ( true story ).

dereck posted his road-trip blog from dallas, tx to san francisco, ca here : http://www.normalizeapp.com/WWDC_2009_Road_Trip_Blog/Trip_Blog/Archive.html

most people seem to say stop every 3-5 hours and just walk around for a few minutes. i found that about 4 hours ( in the box ) is the most i can do without starting to get squirmy and wanting to stop for a few. course that might have to do with crawling in 5 mph traffic for 3 hours. this is also when i learned the value of sunscreen ( GET IT ) because after 3 hours in mid-day sun with the top down i was quite crispy.

learn the "boxster chop".

above all, have fun.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Sign up for AAA - get the Gold service, it allows up to 100 miles in towing. The basic only allows 3 miles. Buy or borrow a XM radio. Its worth it for this long of a road trip. I would also recomend a Netbook (TigerDirect for $220) with Steets and Trips installed and the GPS locator. No need for maps. Have a power invertor to recharge the netbook.

Memphis BBQ... go down a street, turn down an alley... go downstairs. Great dry rubbed ribs and cold beer. Don't know the name or which street.... but ask at the hotel and mention my directions and they'll know where I'm talking about.

Update found it: Rendezvous, If you’re riding the Main Street Trolley, get off at the Union Avenue stop and head east (away from the river) down Union. Use the sidewalk on the north side. Cross Second Street, then turn left into our alley just before you get to the Holiday Inn Select. Our door is on the left

Oh, you won't see any Troopers until you hit the Ohio line... but you should know that.

You gotta love/hate those ohio troopers. I swear they clone those boys without a soul. No sense of humor either. I got my camera batteries charged up and ready to go. I just upped my geiko roadside and theft coverage.

Now if I can just find the worlds largest ball of twine I will be set. I hope I can sleep tonight as I gotta get up at 4:30 am to catch a plane out of Dayton.

The worst thing so far is the fact the boxster still has the original cassete player I think i would be better off it had an 8track.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Now if I can just find the worlds largest ball of twine I will be set.
cawker city, ks

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/8543

Quote:
The worst thing so far is the fact the boxster still has the original cassete player I think i would be better off it had an 8track.
stop off in alameda ( just across the bay ) and pick up one of this guy's kits. takes 20 minutes to install and you can use your ipod. ( assuming it's the 220 ). i have one and it works just fine.

http://www.iwirep.com/products/iwirep-220-ipod
Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #15

I envy you the trip. It's gonna be a blast. But, no matter what you do, follow L'il Bastard's advice. Oh yeah, and get that Triple A Gold thingy, too.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
going to make my first trip in the boxster from DC to Dallas next month, which I do once or twice a year in the escape.
There are a number of Dallas member if you have time to meet for eats or drinks.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944boy
If your on I-80 in kansas there is a museum called Pioneer Village that is worth the stop.
Pioneer Village is just south off I-80 but it's in Nebraska, not Kansas. Exit 279.

If you're picking up the Box in SF, you have to drive PCH before you leave. You'll kick yourself later if you don't.

A couple of years ago I drove to Winston-Salem, NC for a football game. Owned an 01S at the time. Drove back from Knoxville, TN to Omaha in 14 hrs by myself. The Box is an excellent long distance driver. Just stop every 4 hrs for a break.

Good luck and have fun.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #18

Cell phone, AAA cards, credit cards and clean underwear.

Have a GREAT time.

Yes, get that oil changed first.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #19

I've bought 3 cars long distance, every one of them was a heckuva adventure (especially the one involving an ice storm in a Mustang Cobra). I too am envious, enjoy the ride back.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #20

Time to add Tony to the payroll ;)

Quote:
stop off in alameda ( just across the bay ) and pick up one of this guy's kits. takes 20 minutes to install and you can use your ipod. ( assuming it's the 220 ). i have one and it works just fine.

http://www.iwirep.com/products/iwirep-220-ipod
Its always nice to see another pleased customer...

I'm the guy selling these cables. I'd be happy to arrange a meeting to help you get it installed while you're in the Bay Area. Having an iPod full of your favorite music will make that drive a lot more enjoyable. Since it is a 2001 with a tape deck, I'm guessing it has the CR-220 head unit which my cables are compatible with. The cable will keep the battery charging the during the whole trip. I might even have my iPhone friendly cable ready by then.

As others have recommended, have your car serviced before taking it on the trip. My rather new to me 1999 Boxster had the fuel pump fail on me at about 29.5k miles (about 4k miles after buying it). Since the car has such low milage I doubt the fuel filter was ever changed. It is rather early milage wise (not so much age wise), but you might just want to get a 60k service done (or at least the important parts) for peace of mind. Oil & oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, serpentine belt, etc.

Let me know when you'll be in the Bay Area. cas951 here helped me perform my 30k service not that long ago. Order parts in advance from Sunset Imports in Portland, OR. Cheapest new factory parts around.

-Jeremy

RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote