View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
tonycarreon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
A couple of questions:
1.)I read the 285 page online manual last night. quick questions. The manual makes the batter sound real weak. How is the battery?
2.) What gas stations do guys think have the best quality and what ones to avoid? Or does it even matter?
3.) How long can one usually drive in a day without going batty?
1 - i think the battery is "weak" if it's not checked and filled when necessary. check the fluid and refill if necessary ( distilled water, not tap ) and keep an eye on it. if you notice the car seems hesitant to start, get a new one before getting to far.

2 - keep the 93. i tend to favor exxon ( greedy bastards ) and dislike texaco, but that's personal preferences. i have not noticed anything between using my local ( get-go ) station, shell or others. used to really like sunoco, but none local.

a few points i've read:
- refill when you have a major change in altitude to reset the computer and adapt to the new altitude, otherwise CEL might come on.
- if 93 is unavailable, 90 is okay but will reduce mileage.
- don't run too close to empty.

3. i found out that when you have to ask a passenger ( who may or not actually be there ) if an elephant really ran across the road, it's time to stop ( true story ).

dereck posted his road-trip blog from dallas, tx to san francisco, ca here : http://www.normalizeapp.com/WWDC_2009_Road_Trip_Blog/Trip_Blog/Archive.html

most people seem to say stop every 3-5 hours and just walk around for a few minutes. i found that about 4 hours ( in the box ) is the most i can do without starting to get squirmy and wanting to stop for a few. course that might have to do with crawling in 5 mph traffic for 3 hours. this is also when i learned the value of sunscreen ( GET IT ) because after 3 hours in mid-day sun with the top down i was quite crispy.

learn the "boxster chop".

above all, have fun.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote