View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
GT_YellowJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
Hello all. Newbie here. I am flying out to Cali to pick up my New/used 2001 Boxster S with 50k miles, this week and then driving it back to Ohio. Its about 2300miles and 33hours(Please be nice as its all I can afford in this economy) . Question is "Am I nuts" or will I have the ride of my life?

I have taken a Corvette conv and an A6 tt about 1/4 the distance over the years. The audi was like riding on rails, while the corvette seemed a little tedious(not horribly). Seemed like everybody had to challenge me in the Vette. I just cant think of a better car in the world to do this in than a Boxster S. I am stopping in Reno the first day after only 3hours just to make sure the car solid. The next legs of the trip will be bewteen 10 -15 hours.

I have done as much home work as possible on the car, carfax, prior service records, newer tires and all that stuff. I love road trips so the journey isn't what worries me. Its the reliability of the car. Barring any acts of God/Allah/Yahweh/ and the Porsche deity, I shouldn't worry too much about the reliability of the car should I? I have always wanted to take a cross country trip.

If anybody has done a cross country similar, I would appreciate a couple hotel suggestions or any pointers on places to see or routes to take(i plan on I80 east for awhile. Oh, I love BB-Q so I would love to here from any of you gluttonous BBQ lovers. I heard memphis has great BBQ. I do plan to update my Passport 9500ix with all the recent photo sites.

I just did the same thing to get mine! Flew to Houston, spent 45 minutes there, and then drove it 2000 miles straight back to NV in about 26 hours. What a drive!

Unfortunately, I didn't have my 9500ix yet and had to explain to some understanding TX law enforcement officers that I had just acquired the car and was still getting accustomed to its power and smooth ride!

One of my favorite parts of the trip was putting the top down for sunrise through AZ. I didn't originally want a convertible when I started looking for this car, but that moment was absolutely beautiful!

Where in Cali are you picking it up? I make the drive from the SF Bay Area to the Tahoe area several times a month and know it quite well. When are you going to be in Reno? It's always fun to meet other members on the forum.

Enjoy the ride!
19" black 997 Turbo wheels
Litronics
Fully De-Ambered
BumperPlugged
Painted badges
CSE Exhaust Mod
De-Snorked
FVD Headers and cats on the way
Dension GW 500 on the way
Bumperettes on the way
GT_YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote