Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #1

Why don't we see the 928s

How come we don't see 928s on the road. Back in 1982 when risky Business came out that was a really popular car and you saw a lot of them! I think the end of the line 1996 GTS (340 hp v8) was an impressive car.

At a local PCA event this past summer I saw a lot of 911, 944, 968, 986, 987 but no 928s.

What do you guys think about the 928? Love it or hate it? I never really liked the 944...

-Steve

JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #2

I think for two reasons...

1. The mainstream Porsche guy is a sportscar lover, and the 928 is more of a GT car. Most were automatics, with most buyers being greyhairs. (Hey! I've got grey hair, dang it!)

2. The 928, from my understanding, is a maintenance hog.

Still, I've ridden in and driven a 928S4. I liked it.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #3

I've read and heard also that they're maintenance hogs, a salesman a few years back on a high end lot told me under his breath "steer clear of those things, they can really hurt you" lol, like a 911 or Boxster can't? Coincidentally, a few weeks back in the rear section of AutoWeek they showcased a car that recently crossed the auction block, an early 928, low miles in very good shape. The writer (I think it was Keith Martin, not sure) went on how nice these cars were to drive and how they were due for an increase in value. I'll never forget the exhaust sound from the 928 in Risky Business running around the lot backwards at night.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I think the biggest reason that you don't see them is that most of them were automatics. If you're going to spend the money to get an old Porsche especially one with low mpg and high maintenance costs you want a car you can fun in, and I think for most people that means a manual.
Personally, I don't care for the styling of the 928.

Last edited by rick3000; 11-05-2008 at 06:26 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #5

They were not a big seller in production. Most are likely still around but the numbers were small.

As I understand it, takes a small fortune to keep the bad boys on the road.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #6

Yeah, it probably gets tough to justify spending $5k per year to keep a car on the road, when the resale value of that car is $10k to $15k.

Somehow the fact that my car (prior to the economy going bat****************) was worth about $30k, mad it easier to feel justified spending lots of money keeping it up.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
There are actually quite a few here in SoCal. I have a friend who owns one (with automatic), and took a ride in another during an open track day. Fun car although pretty big and heavy. Wags the tail easily under power. Sounds great. Maintenance and repair comparable to a Ferarri 308. Ouch!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
My friend's dad has a 928 that he bought new in 1982. He ended up selling it a few years back but told the guy who bought it that he might buy it back if the guy ever got tired of it. Well, sure enough, he bought it back from the guy. Now it spends most of its time parked in a barn in Maryland because her dad lives in Philadelphia and doesn't drive there.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 AM   #9
EE3racing

I hear the maintenance can eclipse the car value in a hurry, I could have bought a five speed a few years back for 15K. Never really liked the body design either.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #10

A video that may change one's perspective on whether the 928 is only a Grand Touring car (yeah, I know, it's built to the max but an incredible video nonetheless):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj5ohIZyohw
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:25 AM   #11

I absolutely love 928's! If they were more reliable and readily available I'd have one. I got a ride in an S4 circa 1987... WOW. One of the best times I had in a car outside of dating my high school girl friend
Since then I've test drove a couple non-S types... not that impressive, I would have to have the S4 or GT.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:00 AM   #12

I see a couple of them regularly that are in excellent condition. My mechanic in NorCal (Rich Bontempi) told me years ago that 928's were very expensive to maintain. The engine is packed in tight, access to items like cooling system components is poor. The car was full of electronics, leading to more maintenance issues.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:43 AM   #13

Check out Renegade Hybrids online. They make kits to drop a chevy v8 in a 928. Very fast, very reliable and cheap. Find one without an engine and GO>

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311
Yeah, it probably gets tough to justify spending $5k per year to keep a car on the road, when the resale value of that car is $10k to $15k.
Um, I'm spending nearly that much now with my 97 Boxster and it's worth about $12k.

My mechanic says when someone rolls up in a 928 for motor work, repairs, or even general maintenance, his wife does a little dance and heads to the meat market to buy a beef tenderloin for dinner and makes plans to head to Neimann Marcus shopping the next weekend.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Check out Renegade Hybrids online. They make kits to drop a chevy v8 in a 928. Very fast, very reliable and cheap. Find one without an engine and GO>

I think I saw a 944 done by them in excellence a few months back. They dropped a LS1 engine in it. Pretty cool if you ask me.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #16

Here is my 1988 928 S4. I have had it for a couple of years and it is an awesome car. Yes, it is an automatic and that does detract from the "sportscar" experience. I often refer to it as my German corvette. It is a beast that gets complements just about every time I take it out. I did take it to an autocross school and one of the instructors took it out and posted a very impressive time. It is not the pig that some believe it to be. On the highway it is the absolute cruiser.

I have found that these cars seem to have taken two paths. They either have deteriorated to junk via poor maintenance or they are low mileage future collectors. You just don't see a lot of them because a lot were not made. They were very expensive when new and just did not sell well. I had hoped that mine fell into the latter with 52,000 miles on it. It has been for sale but nobody wants it.

As far as the maintenance, the drivetrain is pretty bullet proof. It is all the other things that kill you. I have been fortunate to only have had to replace a rear wheel bearing though that was an ordeal, some window switches, and replaced some interior trim pieces that had been missing.

Overall, it is a great car. When the S4 came out in 1987, Porsche took one to the Bonneville salt flats and set a world record for production cars. Yes, at the time it was the fastest production car in the world at around 160mph.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #17

My Father in Law has one that he rotates in and out with his other cars as a daily driver. Fortunately, I get to drive it if I want, and it is an absolutely fantastic car. His is a five-speed and it has proven to be extremely reliable. I like it so much I've thought about picking one up.
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I wanted and still want a 928. I can't seem to find one that I like because they all seem to be automatics. If you've a newer styled one with Carrera Lightweights there is no way you can't forget it,its pretty amazing.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #19

While mine is an automatic, if anyone is interested send me a PM. I started at $15k but am down to $12k. The December issue of Excellence features the 928 in its market review so you can get an idea of what they are going for.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #20

I had a 1985 928 S a few years ago. First the good stuff. Loved the car!
I think it is a beautiful car. The ride is firm and heavy. It was a pleasure to take a long drive. Very fast, expecially when you get the car on the highway.

Now for the bad part. DON'T BUY ONE. Let me repeat myself. DON'T BUY ONE. DON'T EVEN THINK OF BUYING ONE. IF SOMEONE GIVES YOU ONE, DON'T TAKE IT.

These cars are very, very expensive to maintain. The AC will now blow cold. Something is always breaking. It wasn't just my car. Almost everyone I spoke to had the same experience. When you take your car in for any repair, somehow the bills were always near $1,000 or more. I could have leased a new Boxster for the price it took to maintain car.

On day, I started the car up and the engine blew up into 3 pieces. There was a large dent in the hood from the inside of the car. I sold the car for parts for $1,500.

It is so nice to have my Boxster. It always starts and so far, no mechanical problems. After experiencing the 928, my Boxster is a bargain.

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote