Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #21

i remember seeing these a lot in years gone by... i think I might have seen ONE in the past year on the roads here...

kinda looks like a 944 or the second gen Mazda RX7s.....

if i was going to buy a non-convertible porsche, that was older - i'd buy a 911, not one of these... maybe why we don't see them around much... once something $$$ breaks, they just disappear into parts....

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #22

The way to go

928 Automatic and Five Speed Conversion

For over 25 years, Renegade Hybrids has been offering Small Block Chevy conversion kits for most model Porsches. About 15 years ago, the 928 joined the Renegade arsenal as we introduced the "German Corvette" to some "American Muscle." The 928 Small Block Chevy kits offered a huge increase in power and reliability, more room to work around the engine, lower maintenance costs, and less weight.

In the late 90's, GM abandoned their 1950's technology Small Block Chevy design and introduced (arguably) one of the best V-8 engines every built. They took the simplicity of the original small block design, selected lighter materials such as aluminum and composites, opened it up to breathe more efficiently, and installed variations of this engine in much of their vast product line. The LS-series was born with rave reviews and fantastic success.

Renegade recognized the need to keep up with the latest technology, so in 2005, the 944 LS-series kit was introduced... and it's now our biggest seller. Then came the 911 LS-series kit, which has made quite an impact with the Porsche purists, boasting lighter weight than the 3.0L engines. Even some 914 LS-1's have been built with some amazing results. BUT, why hasn't the ultra smooth, very simple, and quite powerful LS-1 found a home in the 928? Well, it has now!!!

Introducing the LS-series automatic and five speed 928 conversion kits! ( picture ) I can tell you with confidence, this motor installation is actually quite easy and the results are fantastic. Plus, it's much lighter and smaller than the stock 928 engine making maintenance a breeze. With the extra-added room in the engine bay of the 928, several LS-series motors and their accessory packages will fit under the hood including the Corvette ZO-6. Even carbureted versions of the LS based motors are an option if cost and simplicity are paramount.

Maybe you like the idea of a carburetor but seek the weight savings of the all aluminum LS-1? Thanks to Edelbrock and MSD, they have teamed together to build an intake and ignition system for the LS-series. Edelbrock has developed an intake that will replace the composite unit and allows for the installation of a four-barrel carburetor. MSD have used their expertise to manufacture an ignition control system that uses the stock individual coil packs on the factory LS engines. Together, these clever creations eliminates the need for the GM computer or custom harness, and makes the Renegade LS-series 928 engine conversion even easier yet.

Our final option may indeed be the most popular. Renegade Hybrids and Turn Key Engine Supply have teamed up to develop a specific engine package for each of our new LS-series conversions including the 928. With a new engine (not rebuilt), equipped with a complete stand alone FI system, the computer already programmed, a harness already custom built, the proper accessories installed, the correct exhaust manifolds provided, dyno tuned to your desired HP, and backed by a iron-clad warranty, this option must be very expensive... right? No way. We have new 410HP motors ready to ship for under $8000 with our discount! Don't believe it, take a look: here

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #23

Garage
I owned a 1988 S4 928 for about 12 years. Did extensive modifications and upgrades over that time, including stroking the engine to 6.4L.

+ massive, tire smoking torque is intoxicating
+ cruises comfortably all day long
(drove Portland to San Francisco in 1 shot many times)
+ superb high speed handling

- affordable only if DIY maintenance
- limited aftermarket/performance parts
- has become dated technologically

I have many fond memories of the 928, but I really appreciate the Boxster now. Other than both being excellent examples of German automotive engineering. the two cars couldn't be more different.
knurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #24

Pretty white 928. They do look great.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #25

$1300 bucks and you are ready for that Chevy motor

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/900163232.html

Old 11-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #26

Looks like a nice project. You gonna pick it up?

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #27

You just HAD to go ahead and post that up...............I've got 2 of my boys lurking over my shoulder and the wifey even said "Oh my Gosh" at the 928 pics and price. Driving time from the Buckeye state to Cali? Gonna need a tow vehicle also. Oops.....there are all of those tuition notices.....DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. My daily driver is a new GTO 6 speed, VERY stout motor / tranny combo. Reliable and cheap too, it's my second one with nearly 200k miles between the two.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
You just HAD to go ahead and post that up...............I've got 2 of my boys lurking over my shoulder and the wifey even said "Oh my Gosh" at the 928 pics and price. Driving time from the Buckeye state to Cali? Gonna need a tow vehicle also. Oops.....there are all of those tuition notices.....DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. My daily driver is a new GTO 6 speed, VERY stout motor / tranny combo. Reliable and cheap too, it's my second one with nearly 200k miles between the two.

I don't want to be an enabler, but Oceanside is the next town over from me. If you want, I will check it our for you.

Pls don't tell your wife as I don't want her to be mad at me.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #29

Custom Porsche 928

Speaking of GM conversion 928's, here's an interesting one, nicely customized, 383 Stroker - 410HP, 456 ft.lbs. Torque:

http://www.maseratiofminneapolis.com/used_car_details.php?morriesid=BU10037#morephotos

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 11-17-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote