View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #16
steve00s

Here is my 1988 928 S4. I have had it for a couple of years and it is an awesome car. Yes, it is an automatic and that does detract from the "sportscar" experience. I often refer to it as my German corvette. It is a beast that gets complements just about every time I take it out. I did take it to an autocross school and one of the instructors took it out and posted a very impressive time. It is not the pig that some believe it to be. On the highway it is the absolute cruiser.

I have found that these cars seem to have taken two paths. They either have deteriorated to junk via poor maintenance or they are low mileage future collectors. You just don't see a lot of them because a lot were not made. They were very expensive when new and just did not sell well. I had hoped that mine fell into the latter with 52,000 miles on it. It has been for sale but nobody wants it.

As far as the maintenance, the drivetrain is pretty bullet proof. It is all the other things that kill you. I have been fortunate to only have had to replace a rear wheel bearing though that was an ordeal, some window switches, and replaced some interior trim pieces that had been missing.

Overall, it is a great car. When the S4 came out in 1987, Porsche took one to the Bonneville salt flats and set a world record for production cars. Yes, at the time it was the fastest production car in the world at around 160mph.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote