Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #1

The daily drivers

This is for those of you who don't use your Boxsters every day. What is your other car(s)?

I've had my IS300 for almost 4 years and 60k miles. It's been a great car and seems to just get better with age.
Extremely fun and tossable, more reliable that I thought possible (my previous cars were two high-strung VWs), and is incredibly cheap to own. Nothing breaks or wears out on these things...

Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #2

I own a poorly treated yet rock solid indestructible honda civic '97 to complement the box.

However, I have been considering selling both cars and getting an '04 or '05 IS300...they seem really cheap to buy and very cheap to own
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
I own a poorly treated yet rock solid indestructible honda civic '97 to complement the box.

However, I have been considering selling both cars and getting an '04 or '05 IS300...they seem really cheap to buy and very cheap to own
If you're considering one, I'll give you the downsides (if these even matter to you):

-Gas mileage - if you're nice, you can manage 22 city. Normal, fun driving nets about 18.
-If you have to deal with snow, you'll want dedicated snow tires.
-Don't get leather. Get the escaine package (synthetic suede). My seats still look brand new, and they don't stain or fade. The leather wears quickly.
-personal preference, sure, but the automatic suits the car better than the somewhat crappy manual.

'04-'05 are good years. If you want an LSD (you do), check in to the year availability. I know that it was not available on certain 05 models (manuals, I think).
Old 07-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #4

Mazda CX7.
It's been great and I pack the miles on. It will be 2 years old in August (hell, next month already) and it's about to turn 75k miles.
It had one issue with a variable valve timing module that was replaced with an updated version under waranty, even though I was 5k over.
Very much fun to drive, especially for a crossover SUV. All my buds grab crap inside when I toss it into corner or go screaming onto an off-ramp with it!
I guess they're used to that Nissan or Lexus luxo-crap. Mazda does indeed take their zoom-zoom and "Soul of a sportscar" stuff really seriously.
It could me more quiet, but thats a weight compromise. The Bose Surround stereo upgrade is worth the cost. It's great. So is the Grand Touring package that includes nice, long lasting leather.
The 2.3 turbo, while requiring high test, gets 24 mpg, unless you're playing, and is very versatile with the standard 6spd Aisin tiptronic.
All in all a very well designed and very versatile and comfortable vehicle that's also fun to drive.
Check them out if you're in the market.
Did I mention Mazda is a great customer?
Seriously, a nice car.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
My Daily Driver is a 1999 Porsche Boxster!
It's fun to drive, gets about the same mileage an your average V8 american sedan, looks great, and has been more reliable than I expected. It also has incredible storage space, especially with a RTS. It is also winter capable, and has never let me down in the snow, or hauling my skis up a mountain.

(I know you asked about non Boxster DD's, but I couldn't resist because the Boxster is such a fantastic DD. Especially because Boxster's that are driven often are less likely to have problems.)
Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Especially because Boxster's that are driven often are less likely to have problems.)
I've been told that often, by knowledgable folks. I make a point to drive mine at least once and usually twice weekly.
It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #7

The company I work for provides me a vehicle so that is what I drive as a daily driver. 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4x4. I admit I abuse the thing. I drive it pretty hard and it has only been washed twice since I got in Jan of '05. I have put over 138,000 miles on it in a little over 3 years conducting inspections at my different districts. The company takes care of all routine maintenance and it has not required any unscheduled repairs. I think that is actually pretty good.

Last edited by gregdacat; 07-10-2008 at 03:48 PM.
gregdacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
bmussatti

Company Car
2007 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4X4 with V8.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #9

1990 Nissan pickup with 214k on the clock. Beat up and dirty, nobody fools with it either parked nor on the freeways.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #10

1998 ranger stepside, 31" tires, lift kit purchased but not installed... 115k miles, runs awesome, 20mpg, and no one bothers it (leave it unlocked and windows down usually)

will be adding an 07 altima to the stable in 6 weeks

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
1997 Mercedes S500

147k miles and has never given any problems.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson
If you're considering one, I'll give you the downsides (if these even matter to you):

-Gas mileage - if you're nice, you can manage 22 city. Normal, fun driving nets about 18.
-If you have to deal with snow, you'll want dedicated snow tires.
-Don't get leather. Get the escaine package (synthetic suede). My seats still look brand new, and they don't stain or fade. The leather wears quickly.
-personal preference, sure, but the automatic suits the car better than the somewhat crappy manual.

'04-'05 are good years. If you want an LSD (you do), check in to the year availability. I know that it was not available on certain 05 models (manuals, I think).
-22 city is bad. My box beats that and its an old tip. What do you get highway?

-I do deal with snow and I made a year in upstate NY with lousy all seasons on a civic. I may brave a VA winter with all seasons on a boxster...so I am fearless

-I probably won't be able to hunt down a faux suede interior, but I will be very mindful of its condition and protect it like hell

-I prefer sticking with autos....and I am not worried about an LSD. I normally drive like a grandma. (I once got 29 MPG highway on an 01 tip-box)
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #13

Weather is my controller over which car I drive. I have a 2008 Mazda3-5 which is quite peppy. I think the Boxster gets driven more. 4-6 times a week during summer and 1-2 times a week during winter. It is bad to let them sit!
Chris
Old 07-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #14

Highway mileage is about 26-27 going around 72mph. Not terrible. I manage about 31 in the Boxster at 75mph (manual).

Good luck with all-seasons on the IS. It's surprisingly incompetent in the snow with the wrong tires. Mine came with a decent set of A/S tires (Conti premiere contact), and at full tread depth, I got stuck in 2" of snow. Put on some Blizzaks and it is unstoppable, even in the 13" we had a couple of years ago.
The LSD does have benefits aside from handling - snow traction is one such benefit. Keep that in mind. The flip side is that with both rear wheels getting power, it tends to be tail happy if provoked, wet or dry. Very easily controlled oversteer is fun though.

The escaine is more common than you might think, so it may be somewhat easy to find one.

Good luck! If you haven't already, check out my.is for more information. There are some helpful people over there.

----

Now a question for the Boxster DDs- I have no problem driving it every day (I usually get it out 3 -4 times a week anyway), but what do you do about parking? This is my first convertible, and I've heard both to leave the top down and to leave the top up... what do you all recommend?
Old 07-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #15

I wouldn't really call it a daily driver, but I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer that I drive exclusively in the winter and when I need to haul something. I bought it right after I bought the Box and didn't want to park it on the street in Washington DC. It's as ugly as it was cheap ($1200 on Craigslist) and uses more gas than my boat, but as a faithful beater it's pretty solid.

I'm looking at Subaru WRX or STI to replace it when it finally dies, but until then I'm driving around in a wooden jeep

Last edited by HammerESQ; 07-10-2008 at 06:26 PM.
HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #16

Quote:
This is for those of you who don't use your Boxsters every day. What is your other car(s)?

I've had my IS300 for almost 4 years and 60k miles. It's been a great car and seems to just get better with age.
Extremely fun and tossable, more reliable that I thought possible (my previous cars were two high-strung VWs), and is incredibly cheap to own. Nothing breaks or wears out on these things...

I have a 97 Lexus ES300. Bulletproof.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #17
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Samson, even with a red clip I always put the top up. Unless, I can see the car from wherever I am going. I feel the safest with the hardtop on, but I enjoy topless summer driving to much.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Nothing breaks or wears out on these things...
Hang on to it for another three or four years and you won't be saying this.

My DD is a 95 Lexus LS400 with 132k on it and the climate control unit went out on it this afternoon. $1200 at the dealer ($200 if I put in a salvaged one myself this weekend).

Lexus cars tend to have front control arm issues after 90k.

I'd really like to trade the old beast for an 07 BMW 335i, but the market hammered me this year.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #19

My daily driver is (or was) an '03 Ford Excursion. I've calculated 8 MPG city and a tank costs me only $190. My last daily driver was a red Jaguar XK coupe with all the XKR options (wheels, etc). The box is more to my liking.

Here's a clone of my last daily driver (XK)

RobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
97' Honda Elite......85-90mpg,nuff said.

I've put soo many damn miles on it the past two weeks,the more I put on it,the better it seems to run. Only issue I've had with it was the exhaust rattling itself to death. $180 later I'm back to tearing up the road.

$5/week to get to work,gym & school,insurance is $140/year. What else could I ask for?