Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #1

Please advise..

I mentioned before that I was in the process of buying a used car. I paid a 1500 dollar deposit and bought a plane ticket for miami this weekend. Last week, after I had put a deposit down, I couldn't get the owner for three days by phone or email. He was avoiding me, so I emailed his craigslist listing from a new email address to see if he was trying to stall my sale and sell the car for more.

Sure enough, he emailed right back and said the car was still available, even though he had "an out of town looker." I know for a fact the owner is hurting for cash. I spoke to his bank, and I am buying the car for 60 dollars less than his payoff amount.

Regardless, I still have a bad feeling about his lie. Last night I sent another email from the other account to see if the car was still for sale. He said he has a deposit, but would be willing to still sell the car if the price is right.

I hate liars. I cannot stand the fact that he can lie about something like this, just to make a buck. The person in desperation to make an extra thousand dollars would be the type of person to not mention that coolant is slowly leaking and he doesn't know where it goes because it leaves no puddle.

Would you run from the sale and try to get your deposit back based on the fact that the seller is not keeping up his end of the deal?

I am paying a premium for the car based soley on the fact that the mods that I would do to it are done. It will in the long run save me a lot of money.

It is a modified 1999 911 with 37k miles, I am paying 31,000.

nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #2

yes...get out...

you don't deserve to be treated like that
Old 03-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Whoa! That's shady!

Has he deposited your check or money order?

I'd try to back out of of the deal if there is any way possible.

Please tell me you had a PPI done to the car already before you put the deposit down?

I'm not one for vengeful ways but this is just too easy to get him back;

-Get your deposit back

-Take his phone number and post it in the local 'casual encounters' section of Craigslist along with posting his shady way of taking a deposit so every other potential buyer knows the crap he could pull.

Good luck! Keep us updated.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #4

Get out, there tons of carreras out there, guy sounds like a Dick
Old 03-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #5

No PPI yet, "The Collection" in Miami woudln't even schedule one for a month, so I was gonna take it to an indi for a run through when I got down there. He said that was fine with him. If I didn't come accross one, I was planning on trusting the guy and after taking a hard test drive and checking fluids, taking a leap of faith that it would make it the 1000 miles home. Now, trust is not happening.

Abosolutely right about deals on carreras right now.. with bad economy and new car sales down, used cars are gonna get even cheaper. I am in no rush at all. My baby girl has a good 3 years before she will truly have a good time in the car, otherwise, it's usually just myself and sometimes momma in the boxster.... so I am fine with waiting, and then I can look at 997, 987 S or ,cayman S (back to no rear seating, but oh well!)

I wanted to make sure other people were on the same page as me with "little lies" bothering the hell out of me. Buying a 10 yr old porsche is a leap of faith, and if you don't find a good seller, the deal can go so many ways.

I might still fly down to Miami since I have a southwest ticket for 100 dollars, check the car out and just check out the "true" used car lots.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #6

I would not go through the sale. It sounds like he is the kind of person that will tell you anything to get the sale. Also 31k for a 99 does not sound like that good of a deal. Keep in mind even though you find the value for the mods he did, in the real world that still does not increase the true book value of his car. I was in the same position last year, I was going to buy a 996 since market was really soft and in doing my research the 99's were not a very good year. If I remember correctly there were many with new engine because of the porous issues they had with the engine casing etc... So I'm still waiting and now I'm casually looking for an 03 or newer.
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #7

If I were buying a 996, the only model year I would be leery of would be a '99. From all reports, these have been the most troublesome. Doesn't sound like the best deal either. Good luck
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #8

Max:

I would not be comfortable in doing a long distance deal with a seller who has clearly demonstrated that he cannot be trusted.

If you are keen on getting a car from the South Florida area, I would drop an e-mail to Pedro of Pedro's Garage (www.pedrosgarage.com) and arrange for him to look at any car that you are seriously thinking of buying. He is very knowledgeable, a Porsche nut, and completely trustworthy.

He does PPI's and the peace of mind it will bring you will more than pay for the price of his services.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #9

In my research on the 996, I found that the 1999 did indeed have a lot of problems. I talked to the service manager at a Porsche dealership and he was right up front about steering clear of a 1999 because of the problems that they have seen. I probably wouldn't buy earlier than a 2002 because that was the year they went from a 3.4L to the 3.6L. As far as engine mods on the 3.4L, you would have to spend a fair amount of money to get the horsepower of the 3.6L. I saw the car you were looking at and it was very nice looking but the price of these seem to keep dropping and there is a good supply. Good luck.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #10

If you do decide to fly down to check it out, try to go check out the collection at "The Collection". I spent a year working a few blocks from there. They have a fantastic selection to drool over including Porsche, Ferrari Aston Martin, Maserati, Jaguar and Lotus. Just down Bird Road to the east is a car lot of used, high end cars/exotics. Also very fun to peruse. If you make it to The Collection, there is a fantastic restaurant in the same building called Chispa (SW corner) specializing in contemporary Latin. They always had HOT hostesses as well!

As far as the guy selling the car, he is a definite dirt bag. I'd stay as far away as I could.

Last edited by Jump; 03-06-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #11

If I were you I'd still fly down and check it out as it sounds like you have a cheap ticket and plans made.

Look the car over and keep the other email address stuff to yourself at first - bring a hardcopy along to show him, if you like, after discussing the car. And bring a camera to take a pic of his face when you spring it on him!

But if the car is what you are looking for, and checks out, buy it. Or make him a lower offer and tell him that you were also looking at other cars - that will make it all even!
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #12

What makes you think your getting your deposit back? Although, your chances might go up if you show up in person.

We hope this one works out for you...

/
Old 03-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #13

Thanks guys, between responses here and 6speed, I have confirmed my necessity to be careful with this. I also met a former owner who traded it for a TT. I will be spending the weekend in Miami either with a new car or a rental taurus.

Mike, he never said it wasn't refundable, and ebay/paypal is pretty good at protecting the buyer when something goes wrong from a sellers standpoiunt. Plus I will see him face to face, and that has to be worth something!

Thanks again guys,\
Max
Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #14

Talking

Max, Max, Max......my friend.....
You sound like me when I bought my Box. (maybe it is guilty karma from trying to upstage your 986!!!) - J/K.

It seems like when I purchase cars remotely, I always get screwed in one fashion or the next, and things are never always exactly as they seem. But, I have still gone through with all but 1 deal and that deal the sellers were shady like the one you mention here. I would have to agree that people who are deceptive are just not honorable, reputable individuals and they will tell you what you want to hear, until someone offers them a buck more...regardless of how much time and effort you (the buyer) has spent on purchasing their vehicle.

I would go down, have a personal chat with this character, check it out hard and trust your gut. The guy might be a complete loser, but if the car speaks to you and you have a solid feeling, then go for it. I wouldn't change a thing about my purchase of my very spunky 02S, but in retro...I probably would have held out for an 03 S just to grab the rear glass and less mileage. But I adore my car and yes like you only drive it when the weather is near perfect. (and sometimes even on Fridays!) --- HEY, maybe I will catch you on the Causeway soon!!!!
(now that I am a Mandevillite)

There are tons of excellent 996s out there...and just (as hard as it sounds) take your time and relax...you will find the one that you are supposed to drive --- and if the guy is a real jerk, accidently back over his foot while test-driving for kicks...

LOL

All the best, my friend.

Last edited by meerzee; 03-07-2008 at 12:22 PM.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #15

Aside from the seller proving that he can not be trusted, I would back out of this deal for one reason: you do not want to be buying any exotic car from someone who cannot afford to own it. I'm not sure how long he has had the car for, but if its any length of time, I would be extremely cautious. The guys who have cars they can't afford are the ones who don't maintain them the way they should, may park them outside, and may not even be knowledgeable enough to know how to properly drive the car.

If you already have plans, run down there and check it out. I would never buy a car like this without a thorough PPI. If everything checks out and the car really is what you want, go for it.

It is worth noting that the 99s are probably the least desirable year, and you will pay for that on the other side when you sell the car down the road. Whatever is saved now, may not really amount to savings when everything in factored together.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #16

wow another nola person on this site, i thought i was the only one, but you won't ever catch me on the causeway, work and live in nola, silver 01 boxster, luv it, having a few issues right now, but i'm sure they will get fixed

"Its Craptacular" - Bart Simpson 1997
joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua6060
wow another nola person on this site, i thought i was the only one, but you won't ever catch me on the causeway, work and live in nola, silver 01 boxster, luv it, having a few issues right now, but i'm sure they will get fixed
It does seem that you are the only NOLA Boxster guy at times....that is certain!
I got my first "Porsche wave" yesterday while driving up 59 to Abita from a superclean Carerra 4 (silver) --- Maybe it was Max in his new ride??? LOL.

Just moved from Metairie...don't enjoy the commute, but the quality of life is truly second to none. We have been enjoying the trace, Abita and just having fun with the ole' Box! (Took apart my LCD climate box and replaced the "Rising Sun" damaged LCD in about 15 minutes, and put on my Stuttgart front license plate --- looks pretty unique at this point....)

Take care, hope to see you on the roads....
Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #18

guys , I left at 4:30 am for the airport, got back at 3:30am in my new car. Its everything I hoped for and I appreciate the support. I will write up an official report when I get to a computer, this phone typing is tough.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
guys , I left at 4:30 am for the airport, got back at 3:30am in my new car. Its everything I hoped for and I appreciate the support. I will write up an official report when I get to a computer, this phone typing is tough.
Glad to hear it man! I not only want to hear about it, I want to come see it. --- heck, drive it! Of course to give you a second opinion for when you draft your driving report for the forum!

LOL.

We want pics and details. Glad you made it back safely.....
See ya soon.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #20

sounds like it all worked out.

I cant wait to see it.

Gary

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote