Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 07:22 AM   #1

Where do I go to get Wheel bolts ground down?

If my wheel bolts are too long and I want them shortened by a few millimeters, where do I go to get this done? I don't have any tools that I can personally do it with. Is that something that most garages will do?

Mike

thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #2

Buy open ended or longer lug nuts from somebody like
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products/?sfID1=249&sfID2=249

or buy new shorter studs, grinding is not a good answer and I wouldnt trust a shop that said it was or was willing to do it as you will remove the temper by grinding.

Good luck
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro
If my wheel bolts are too long and I want them shortened by a few millimeters, where do I go to get this done? I don't have any tools that I can personally do it with. Is that something that most garages will do?

Mike

What do you mean by this. Are we talking stock bolts and if so, how could they be too long?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #4

Hi Rich,

They are not stock bolts. I bought 21 MM spacers from Ernie's Alloys to mount some 18 x 10 Carrera lightweights on my 2001 Boxster. I did have 15 mm spacers on already but the wheel would occasionally bump into the strut on hard driving. Thus, I bought the 21 mm from Ernie's to solve that problem. The bolts they sent me are 60 mm. When I mounted the wheels, and spun the wheels by hand, the bolts scrape against something on the inside as they are a little too long. I called Ernie's and they said they occasionally have this problem on Boxsters, they said they solve it by grinding down the wheel bolts a few mm. They have 50 mm bolts but they said those would be too short. They said they would look for some intermediate size between the two but they couldn't get to it until early next week. Or alternatively,t hey said they could have them ground down for me, but I really wanted to go ahead and get it done somewhere local so I wouldn't have to have the shipping delays of sending them back and forth to Florida. If I can't get something to work, I may just have to end up sending them back and getting their 18 MM spacers with 50 MM bolts. Take care,

Mike

thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote