Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #101

I am looking forward to trying this modification . I have had a Dansk bannana muffler . a GHL , and currently running a Mille Miglia . I guess as I am getting older I want more of a stealth muffler . Jake Raby has told me many times it's hard to beat stock for power . Been proven on his chassis Dyno many times .

After I do the mod I will schedule some time on his Dyno . At that time also going to load some new tunes via their new in house tuning . We made 278 rear wheel HP with the current muffler and tuning software . Hoping to get closer to 290 or so .

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #102

Garage
It will be interesting to see the results!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:59 AM   #103

j911brick last night I positioned the pipes by eye to see how they fit . This is on a S muffler . To get the pipes roughly in the center of the exhaust tips the pipes that will go into the inlet pipes is about 3/4 of the ways on the inlet pipe and a 1/4 of the ways into the weld of the inlet pipes . Does that sound about right ? So the hole saw has to cut through some of the weld of the inlet pipes to the muffler case ? Any chance you have a pic or two of where the pipes go into the inlets ? Thanks
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 06-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
j911brick last night I positioned the pipes by eye to see how they fit . This is on a S muffler . To get the pipes roughly in the center of the exhaust tips the pipes that will go into the inlet pipes is about 3/4 of the ways on the inlet pipe and a 1/4 of the ways into the weld of the inlet pipes . Does that sound about right ? So the hole saw has to cut through some of the weld of the inlet pipes to the muffler case ? Any chance you have a pic or two of where the pipes go into the inlets ? Thanks
I have same question... I'm glad rfuerst911sc brought it up.

I also have a set of these from j911brick I have been planning to install (S version). When I test fit them the seemed really tight (or close) to the weld seam on the main muffler. I was assuming they would plumb in perpendicular to the inlet and outlet tubes, but maybe not.

j911brick, I trust you figured out the best fit - please confirm. Thanks.
winter.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:51 PM   #105

Quote:
Email me at j911brick at comcast period net
j911brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #106

Email has been sent . Thanks
Old 06-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #107

Quote:
Email has been sent . Thanks
Didn't get it.
j911brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:35 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by j911brick View Post
Didn't get it.
Hmm your email is j911brick@comcast.net correct ? I saw your PM will call you tonight . Thanks
Old 06-04-2019, 01:40 AM   #109

I just resent an email , I went back and checked and I had a typo . Still planning on calling you tonight . Thanks
Old 06-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #110

James I called the number you sent me via PM , it rang several times then I received a message stating it was unavailable . So if you can post a few pics here on the forum it will help me and others . Specifically I want to see how/where they enter the inlet pipes. Thanks
Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #111

Today I decided to attempt this modification . I bought two Milwaukee 1 " bi-metal hole saws turns out I was able to do it by just using one . First thing I did was eyeball where the pipes should be on the exhaust tips . I outlined with a Sharpie and made sure the alignment was good at the inlets .

I also made Sharpie marks on the lip/flange above the exhaust tips so I could notch them . I wanted the pipes as tight to the muffler as I could get them . Once it was notched I again checked the alignment and made some adjustments . I then took a spring loaded center punch and made my indentations on the tips . Drilling the holes wasn't too bad I used some 3 in 1 oil as cutting fluid .

Did the same thing at the inlets . I had to do some grinding and filing to get the pipes the way I liked them . I ended up cutting off about 1 " off the pipes on the exhaust tips ends and about 1 1/4 " of the inlet side . They are tight to the muffler can as I could get them . I tacked them in place as I ran out of time . I hope to take a few pics tomorrow .

Last edited by rfuerst911sc; 06-10-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #112
cd8

Quote:
Originally Posted by j911brick View Post
$120 shipped.
Sent you a pm
cd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:37 AM   #113

Update pics of welded bypass pipes

Sorry guys I'm way late posting my progress , between 2 weeks vacation and other projects taking priority it fell behind . Anyway the pipes are now welded in place . I did the hole drilling and tacked them in place at home with my mig welder . I could have finished the welding myself but decided to have a friend that can tig weld complete the welding . I think I did a good job of getting them centered on the tips and have kept the pipes as tight to the muffler body as possible , time will tell if I have any fitment issues .

Not sure when I am going to install it as I have a lot of DIY projects burning at the moment . Even though I am retired time is still a precious commodity While the muffler is on the bench I'm going to clean up and polish the exhaust tips as it is much easier out in the open . I will update my thoughts about the sound and dyno results once I get there . In the mean time I hope my pics can help others doing this modification .

Old 08-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #114

Man where does the time go ? Today I removed the Mille Miglia muffler and installed my modified S muffler . The S muffler at 34 lbs. is 10 lbs. heavier than the MM , not happy about that but it is what it is . I will try and get an audio clip at some point but I was surprised how much growl she has when you get on it ! The added pipes/muffler fit perfect with no clearance issues at all , the pipes are tucked up behind the rear valance with plenty of air space/clearance . There is zero resonance ......... nothing ...... NADA

I took her for a 30 minute drive and I came to the conclusion I really like it . It is quiet when you want to be by going easy on the go pedal , or you can floor it and unleash the angry hornets nest Time will tell but I may have a MM and a GHL muffler for sale in the future .

Hoping to get on Jake's dyno this month but his shop is swamped so we'll see .
Old 08-30-2019, 09:14 AM   #115

Finally had a chance to get on the dyno and do some tuning . The last time on the dyno ( 4 years ago ) with a GHL muffler we made 277 hp I don't remember the torque . It has been 4 years and 7,000 miles later so not exactly comparing apples to apples . But with the stock muffler with the bypass pipes we made 282.22 hp and 252 ft. lbs. torque at the wheels ! Not bad for a stock muffler but I know there is probably a little more power in the exhaust . But it pulls like a freight train so no complaints on power . However with my combo of engine mods and exhaust it is WAY TOO LOUD when on throttle . For cars that are not modified and have cat converters I'm sure it is great but for me too loud . It will be coming off .
Old 11-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #116

Oops... posted on the wrong page.

2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote