Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #141

Garage
I measured the resistance of the solenoids with an Ohm-meter. Both turned out fine. This is all the distance that the solenoid`s pin travels when powered on.

Crankshaft fixed at TDC.

Camshafts pulled down and locked at TDC with the locking tool. This tool is not really necessary because the timing can be set simply with a ruler, but if the kit includes it I thought I might as well use it.

Once timing is set, the camshafts can be held down with this tool that allows for replacing the valve cover.

Long block is done.

I`m really happy with this cheap tool set from ebay. It has almost everything needed to assemble this engine. It`s worth every penny (~$80) and saves a lot of time.

Last edited by Homeoboxter; 07-24-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:58 AM   #142

Real nicely built an ddocumented project makes me want to rebuilt my 2.7 my self when it needs that one day (maybe all chain ramps, chain tensioners, IMS, cutch & FW first...), instead of having local indy to do these.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #143

NICE.

Now for the nitty gritty; put that thing back up in there and DRIVE.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:52 PM   #144
Who's askin'?

I LOVE this thread!
Well done sir!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #145

Garage
Thanks, Guys. Yeah, it`s coming along nicely, I think I`ll be able to put the engine back in the chassis in a couple weeks. There`s still a lot to do though. For instance, I just realized that several parts of the secondary air injection system (SAI) have to be replaced. Looks like everything that has an abbreviated name (SAI, AOS, RMS, IMS, DMF) in this car needs attention at least after 100k miles. Or conversely, they are abbreviated because they frequently fail? Next time before I buy a car, I`ll look into the forums and if I see too many acronyms I`ll just walk away
Old 07-27-2020, 09:40 PM   #146

Garage
Sai

Ok, so I made the same mistake again, for some reason I thought that the car had been running fine before the timing failed, so everything else should be ok. I was wrong, of course.

Luckily I borrowed a Mityvac vacuum tester for some other purpose from a friend, and I thought I check the components of the secondary air injection system, or SAI, just in case. The vacuum reservoir tested out fine, it holds the vacuum perfectly.

The change-over valve failed though.. Vacuum should open a diaphragm inside which opens a valve for the air flow. This one here does nothing.

It looks surprisingly clean inside.

Ok, this is where the vacuum escaped..

The next component in the system is the check valve. It`s a simple rectifying valve that won`t let the exhaust gas going backwards toward the check valve. I blew some air in it, went through freely from both sides. Not a good sign.

Inside. Not too healthy.

Both the check valve and the change over valve cost over $100 each. Great... After some digging, I found an old thread with some excellent info about the Mercedes SAI being very similar to the Boxster`s. After subtracting the Porsche tax, they came out much cheaper.

Check valve, porsche vs. Mercedes. They look identical.

Change over valve, Porsche (left, destroyed) vs Mercedes. The vacuum line inlet is rotated 90 degrees and the housing is plastic instead of aluminum, but it`s made for the same purpose in a German car, so it should work. Thanks, Particlewave, for the tip!

Old 07-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #147

Nice work! I'm surprised a Mercedes part is significantly cheaper than a Porsche part!
2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport insert & transmission mounts, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #148

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Nice work! I'm surprised a Mercedes part is significantly cheaper than a Porsche part!
Thank you! Well, the original parts are made by Denso, and the replacements are MTC, which is a cheaper brand, hence the big difference (3-4 times). But the genuine Mercedes vs. Porsche part pricing seems to be significantly different too for the same part.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Thank you! Well, the original parts are made by Denso, and the replacements are MTC, which is a cheaper brand, hence the big difference (3-4 times). But the genuine Mercedes vs. Porsche part pricing seems to be significantly different too for the same part.
Could you post the MB part numbers (check valve and change over valve) you used instead of Porsche? I'm lookin to swap these parts during next winter.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #150

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Could you post the MB part numbers (check valve and change over valve) you used instead of Porsche? I'm lookin to swap these parts during next winter.
Sure, here are the ebay links:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-R107-W124-W126-R129-W140-W201-Air-Injection-Valve-MTC-000-140-77-60/271827041358?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Pump-Check-Valve-MTC-Secondary-Air-Injection-Pump-Check-Valve-WD-Express/114024716057?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

I found another one, which seems to be the same exact part Porsche uses, FYI:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-R107-W124-W126-R129-W140-W201-Air-Injection-Valve-Shut-off-Valve/370820859705?fits=Make%3AMercedes-Benz&epid=1911251163&hash=item5656a54739:g:8mUAAOS wgv5ZVnyW