Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
Certified Boxster Addict

Very nice story! Keep the updates coming!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #22
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Sunday in Oklahoma

Went to church. Cleaned guns. Let the car rest.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Went to church. Cleaned guns. Let the car rest.
That’s so stinkin funny!

That’s exactly how I spent my Oklahoma Sunday, I went to Church, I cleaned my guns, LoL

God, Guns and Apple Pie….. Should we add Sport Cars.

MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #24

Definitely following! The hardtop alone is worth a big part of your purchase price!
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
... The hardtop alone is worth a big part of your purchase price!
Actually the hardtop is from one of my other cars, this one came without. I did get hardtops with This and That.

Today I ran the car for a while around the driveway and removed the carpet.

As I was running it the check engine light eventually came back. It was both cam sensors again. I found a cam sensor from my scrapped engine and replaced the one on the front left to see if it would change anything. I ran the car again. This time no sign of cam sensor problems, but some misfire codes came up. On an early run, I had misfires only on bank 1. Now they are only on bank 2. It could be serious, but because it runs decent most of the time and the codes are so inconsistent, I think the next step should be to check or replace the plugs and coils. Rick plans on having a pro check the engine over, so really my concern at this point it to do no harm rather than get everything perfect. Time to start stripping out Rick's racecar.
Run 1 today:

Run 2:

(Using a cheap ELM327 BT reader with "OBD Fusion" app)

Stripping out the carpet

Not too hard to do, but I cheated and cut it at the gas pedal (cable going up to dash) and back end (heavy electric cable to engine) to make it easier. It's pretty straightforward. Pry stuff off gently and look for screws before you go beyond gentle. Wayne has a good Tech Article on the Pelican site that gives the details.

A short break from the carpet at sunset.

Tomorrow I plan to pull out the rest of the mechanism for the top (arms, motor, and transmissions).
I will probably strip out the doors and airbags too. I expect that the write-up of that will be pretty boring. Maybe we can skip it. The next exciting part for me is going to be when I line up my four Arctic Silver 99s and figure out what parts should be swapped to where. There will be pics.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #26

Garage
I had a week off and now I'm back on for seven days of 12 hour shifts. Still continuing, but at a slow pace. I was going to pull the rest of the interior out next, but curiosity about the engine was still nagging me. I decided to pull the coils and spark plugs to see how they looked. In hind sight, I should have done that before I ever turned the key. (Would have done it on my PPI, but honestly at the $2000 price, there was no way I was not buying that car.)

I started with the #4 cylinder. It had misfired and was easy to reach.

When I got the screws out, the coil practically fell out and came with a surprise: The spark plug tube came right out with it. A quick look at the inside end of the tube showed that it had melted and deformed from the engine overheat.

What kind of temperature will cause that? What other components will be damaged at that temperature? Could some of the black material in the oil filter have come from the spark plug tubes? This took my optimism about the engine down a notch. If I was keeping it, I'd probably replace the coils, tubes, and spark plugs, run it again and see if it improved much. I am not keeping it. I decided that there was no point in me looking at the rest of the coils. It's best for me to cease and desist from engine work - no more trial engine runs - and focus on getting the rest of the car ready for Rick.
That's about it for now. Oh, and here's a pic of the diaphragm from the AOS:
Old 08-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #27

Garage
Well, my work week went by quickly with alternating dead calm and high-speed adventure. I took Saturday off to have a birthday party at the lake for two of my grandkids (4 and 5 years old), and visit with family.
Also, a big scare: My son in law works highway bridge construction. He was hit by a truck, and thrown back about 15 feet to where he hit his shoulder hard enough to fracture his scapula. His hardhat was badly dented and has tire marks on it. Lots of bruising and sore from his head to his shins, but he's going to be okay. The corner of the box-truck that hit him was dented. He could have easily been killed, or crippled for life. Please drive with extra caution in construction zones.
Not much was done on the car, but now I'm off again and back at it. I stripped out the doors and airbags, swapped the bumper covers, and stripped the trunk.

A few notes:
-I have plenty of experience replacing window regulators, so the doors were easy for me. Again, Pelican Parts tech articles and the 101 Projects book were a great resource the first time I did it.
-Be sure to remove the screw marked by the green arrow. It attaches a foil-thin metal sheet to the airbag frame. The foil has been ripped on over half the doors I've seen, caused by people neglecting this screw:

-The trunk looked fairly dry, but the board under the mat was saturated. It started to crumble as I pulled it out. Moisture really hides in these cars.
-There's been plenty of discussion about cleaning out radiators. It's worth doing at least once a year if you drive regularly:

Bumper cover assignments:

-THAT got the rear cover with the painted bumperettes.
-Der Box gets the front (996) bumper cover.
-Rick is getting the original front bumper cover that came with my 2000 S. - Some minor damage and scraping on the bottom, but not too bad.

Not really much left for me to do on this car since Rick is going to take over. Lots of parts to sort through, store or sell. Lots of things to do to my other cars to maintain and improve.

I lined up all six in the driveway and took a few pictures before the front bumper came off:
I love the look of all the different wheels.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:49 AM   #28

Sorry to hear about your son in law. I hope he comes out of it feeling 100%. Of all your boxsters, do any of them have the 3.2? Seems like a good excuse to get a seventh one to the wife if you don't have one.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #29

Garage
Thank you for the update. Sorry to hear about your son in law, it sounds like he is very fortunate.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #30
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Will also add my thoughts about your son-in-law. He is very fortunate. As the signs sometimes say in construction zones "Give 'em a Brake."

I enjoyed this read. Thanks.

Also, from looking at your driveway, it's pretty obvious you have an advanced case of Boxsteritis.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #31

Garage
Thanks, I swear my son in law is made of concrete and steel with a heart of gold. (Don't you ever let him know I said anything like that about him.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova
Of all your boxsters, do any of them have the 3.2? Seems like a good excuse to get a seventh one to the wife if you don't have one.
2.7 is as high as they go right now. Really I have too many directions that I'd like to go in, so I'm keeping my eyes open for whatever opportunity presents. I really like your 3.4 Boxster and would buy JAAY's today if I had the disposable cash. I have parts saved up to renovate a flood damaged, neglected, or light collision S model. I'd also like to get an Audi 4.2 V8 to put into my 2000 S and I keep an eye out for a donor car under $2k delivered.
Also thinking I could use a tow vehicle that has air conditioning and better than a 50 mile reliable range. Considering a 05 - 07 Ford 6.0L or a Cayenne/Touareg.
First things first - I have 10 vehicles right now. Let's wait 'till Rick picks this one up.

Last edited by 78F350; 08-27-2016 at 05:37 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:06 AM   #32

Lots of very cheap low mile 4.2's out there. Audi's go for pretty cheap at the auction and you could probably find one for a few hundred. I like my 3.4, but it could use some torque. I believe the 3.4 and 4.2 are close when it comes to horsepower. I would imagine the 4.2 has lots more torque though. There might be lots more work getting the 4.2 into a boxster, but it's probably thousands of dollars cheaper and faster too.

As far as the search for a truck goes, the 05-07 6.0 can be a great truck once you put some good head studs on it and get rid of the egr. That generation of ford truck is the biggest bang for the buck right now. Word is getting out on them and finding lower mile ones for cheap will be harder to get. Heck any diesel made pre 2008 is getting more desirable among the diesel crowd. After 08, diesel engines are getting so complicated and expensive it's almost not worth the price over a gas motor. I'm keeping my 7.3 until I die.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Considering a [blasphemy] or a Cayenne/Touareg.
I've got one of each. PM me if you want my opinions. Worth every penny.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:22 AM   #34

Garage
Enjoyed reading it and six Boxsters in a row looks amazing
I am restoring my 2nd Boxster as well and will update dedicated thread soon.
Ser
notech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #35

Quote:
The car is at a small independent Porsche specialty shop. Easy to spot by the cars in the lot.
Will you tell the name and/or location of the shop.

Or maybe you know of an even better one.

Thanks!

Last edited by MARTHA; 09-08-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #36

Garage
I had Tech inspections for the track and the IMS replaced on THAT at Rennsport Werkstatt in Tulsa. They took good care of the cars and were a pleasure to deal with.
Rennsport \\ Home

I will take my cars there again without hesitation.

I bought this car at Tom Charlesworth Inc. After I decided to buy it and he had a moment to chat, it was hard to break away. He has been a Porsche enthusiast forever. I got the impression that he is more specialized in the old-school Porsches and his shop had some nice ones being worked on. I would not hesitate to use him, but I would expect that some of his long-time customers may take priority.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Tom+Charlesworth+Inc&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Tom+Charlesworth+Inc%2C+East+45th+Place%2C+Tul sa%2C+OK
Old 09-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #37

Thanks!

Last edited by MARTHA; 09-08-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #38

Garage
I hate locking lugs.

Rick will be picking up the car this weekend and there is little left for me to do. He is going to bring his own wheels along and I am going to keep the wheels that are presently on it. Today I decided to make sure that there won't be any problems swapping out the wheels. Glad I did. The lug- key that came with the car worked great on the first three, then split as I was taking off the fourth. No hammering or abuse. It just reached the end of it's design-life and split. Glad I wasn't out on the road.

It's been covered on the forum before and I have done it quite a few times now with salvage cars. At home in my garage it's not a big deal.
-Take a 12 point 17mm or 11/16ths socket and drive it onto the lug with a hammer.
-Give it some short taps with an impact wrench, then spin it out.

My opinion of these lugs is that they do not provide any real protection and they do cause a potential hazard. Any competent thief can remove your wheels in less time than it would take for most people to find the lug key. If the lug key is lost or breaks while you are on the road, you are stranded. You can not change your tire until someone comes along with a tool to get it off.

Glad this happened today. It reminded me that I still have to replace the locking lugs with plain ones on one of my other cars.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #39
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Ditto. My key cracked under normal torque when I was taking the wheels off to detail. Luckily, not changing a flat. Prompted me to buy four plain lugs. As said, any reasonably qualified thief would have those locking lugs off in a heartbeat anyway, so no big risk changing to plains - and now I'll never be stranded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #40

Garage

Rick showed up today with a trailer, set of tires, and a racing seat. The car is gone now and this concludes my part of the story. The story of the car will continue though as RedTele58 takes it and makes his spec racer. I have enjoyed the project and am happy with the way things turned out. I got some good parts and enjoyed exploring the car. Rick gets a great deal on a '99 chassis and a possibly good engine. I look forward to seeing how it turns out for the track.